Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Allureana
Visitor

Re: New channel idea - Amazon Kindle Reader for Roku

Nine years after the original post, 3 years after my last post, and a year after Steve43 suggests mirroring, here in 3Q 2019, there are STILL no Kindle apps for most smart tv's - unless they run Android.  I read recently that Google and Amazon have "become friends" (i.e. quit not advertising each other's competing products, like Amazon.com advertsing Echo's more prominently than Home devices).  But Amazon is still lagging behind at pushing Kindle where it could!  People who read Kindle ebooks are assumed to own Kindle tablets.  I have over 200 Kindle books and have never owned a Kindle device.  I just read them on my Android phone, using immersion reading, often connected to any bluetooth speaker that sounds better than my phone.  If I use the Echo Dot as the speaker, I can use Alexa to pause and resume controlling the playback of the Kindle book running from my phone. 
I have both an Amazon Firestick and a Google Chromecast device, but getting either of those to run Kindle is geek work.  I managed, but it's easier to simply mirror my phone to the tv.
Amazon is still not making Kindle for PC capable of doing Immersion reading.  PC users who want to do immersion reading on their Windows 10 devices have to run an Android emulator app in Windows and then run Kindle for Android in the emulator.  It works, but Amazon obviously has failed to do a bit more development work here.  And why can't Cloud Kindle work on smart TV's (those that aren't Android TV's) ?  Because so many (older, but still in use) smart TV's have only proprietary web browsers that are not HTML5 capable.
Why can't ROKU read Kindle ebooks or other ebooks on your TV?  Because ROKU is not an Android TV box.
I find it amusingly ironic that Amazon has figured out how to get their Kindle app to do Immersion reading on Google's Android OS, but NOT YET ON Microsoft's Windows 10 !
As for having Alexa "read aloud" your Kindle ebooks, the AI software behind Alexa has a looooong way to go before the stories are read with male, female, proper emotional overtones, and differentiated voices of the many characters in most stories. The professional readers at Audible are in no danger of losing their jobs to AI reading software.
At this point, the best solution is still to mirror your phone to the Roku box or smart TV and run the Kindle app on your phone.  And even doing that is "geek work" beyond a large portion of the audience.
0 Kudos
37mediagroup
Roku Guru

I mean, don't you think 'Audio Books' have greater potential & market share than reading an entire book on the TV. Maybe there's a small market for it, I'm not sure I'd invest too much into it. Also, advertising. Would someone really want to sit thru a commercial break while reading a book on their TV? 

I get it, the 'text' is already written & there on Kindle, so it's only a matter of transcribing it to a channel. But Amazon surely isn't wanting to push Roku's out the door, and Roku surely doesn't want customers sitting in front of there TVs not seeing commercials. And again, would market research show people want to read an entire book on their TV set? 
0 Kudos
coastalguy
Binge Watcher

I would love to have it on my Roku streaming to my 65" TV sitting in my easy chair, instead of having to read my Kindle Books on some small screen, or at a desk reading it from my computer. Considering I am on Roku, 98% of the time, to include The Great Courses photography and cooking lessons, being able to quickly bring up my books to continue reading or making reference to them (some are manuals I need to refer to periodically), would be great.

Colly
Binge Watcher

To 37mediagroup re: "Also, advertising. Would someone really want to sit thru a commercial break while reading a book on their TV?

I get it, the 'text' is already written & there on Kindle, so it's only a matter of transcribing it to a channel. But Amazon surely isn't wanting to push Roku's out the door, and Roku surely doesn't want customers sitting in front of there TVs not seeing commercials."

Exactly - it's all about the commercials on TV.  Mirroring Kindle Immersion Reading from my phone to the TV, I don't have to watch ANY commercials.  Using a TV without the viewer/reader/listener seeing any commercials doesn't interest the big companies who figure they can't make any money that way. If they can't find a way to make money on it, they aren't going to bother to develop it.  It's why J.P.Morgan killed Nikola Tesla's idea for broadcast power because they couldn't figure out how to bill users for stuff that was just broadcast over the air.  Of course, years later, the British figured out they can just tax people for receiving broadcast TV by detecting and taxing users of the receivers. 

We know Amazon collects data about users reading Kindle books - I get "awards" for so many consecutive days of Kindle reading and so many weeks of consecutive Kindle reading.  Perhaps they can't figure out how to get a Roku reader to send back data about which book is being read and what page it's being left on to get resumed at?  I wouldn't think that would be such a difficulty since Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Google Movies all seem able to resume a movie where you left off.  Even Plex can remember which user left at what point in the middle of which movie.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Plex or Kodi had the first Kindle addons created for them.  They probably already have EPUB reader addons and I know Plex works on Roku for movies and music and photos because I already use it that way.

I agree, I think an app that would let news paper subscribers read their paper on a big screen would be cool. My mother law was 95vand loved the paper but never got the hang of tablets or laptops or phone or PCs. Bur I bet she could have used a remote and a paper reading app for the Big Screen TV.. 

0 Kudos