Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xerces77
Visitor

New channel content and package re-submissions

Questions -

As time proceeds, I'll be getting new content (video) for my channel pretty consistently. They won't require any additional software upgrades on the end-users Roku machine.

1) I'm assuming I'll have to resubmit packages everytime I get the updates as I'll have to update the XML in the code pointing to the new content

2) Will the end-user have to do anything with the channel to see the new content? Will they automatically get the latest version (with the new content)?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
kbenson
Visitor

Re: New channel content and package re-submissions

Generally, it's considered a better solution to have the XML served by the content servers, and have the Roku query for it and parse it on each run. That way the content is dynamic, and channel updates are only needed to provide new channel features or fix bugs founds.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

I haven't seen my roku box cache xml files retrieved from the internet - so it makes updates really easy on that side, especially if the server generates them for you on request.
0 Kudos
Xerces77
Visitor

Thanks for the help everyone

kbenson- so, how would I send xml content to the servers? In my channel's package, I have a "categories.xml" file that points to xml files for each piece of content in another sub folder.

As I add new content, I'll have to update those xml files in the sub folders to point to the new content.
0 Kudos
stratcat96
Visitor

if you are pointing to an xml file that is in the package right now, really all you would have to is to point it to the address of an xml file that resides on your servers instead (i.e. www.mydomain.com/my.xml). That way as you maintain the xml and add to it on your server, your channel will dynamically refresh its contents every time it's run.
0 Kudos
Xerces77
Visitor

Thank you!
0 Kudos