Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nocarrier
Reel Rookie

Re: New certification checklist

Since there has been no clarification on this issue and I really need to push an update (company logo change... nothing but images), I decided to go head and submit it.

Not completely sure if by checking the box saying I've "read and agree to the terms of..." was completely honest though since I don't fully understand what those terms are, very specifically in this deep linking issue.

AFAIK, my app supports deep linking if launched with the correct arguments since no one would know what those arguments should be!

I will post an update if/when I get some sort of response

edit:
@EnTerr, yes that was me that posted on the blog site

edit2:
No "@" mentions? I'm too spoiled by github I guess
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"nocarrier" wrote:
Since there has been no clarification on this issue and I really need to push an update (company logo change... nothing but images), I decided to go head and submit it.
I will post an update if/when I get some sort of response

Don't sweat it - that's peanuts!
Have a look here to see what apps have passed review recently viewtopic.php?f=34&t=96083 - one does nothing, the other two are miscategorized.
You'll be fine.

Here is what i figure is happening - apparently the Co has decided recently push for massively broadening^ the "universal search". That feature is great on its own and every publisher who can, already wants to use it. What is not great is that somebody has decided to extort developers into using it. Which is silly, since whoever can use it, will use it anyhow (it brings traffic!) - and whoever cannot (a game! how do you "deep link" into a game?) - well, you can't get blood form a stone.

There are 2 possible explanations behind the mis-statements of the blog and not correcting them yet:

• Either it's unintentional - due to "broken telephone game", the evangelists did not understand what is being asked by the higher-ups and are misrepresenting into caricatures the mandates for deep linking and device support

• Or it's an intentional move - being unclear on purpose, to use FUD (fear, uncertainty, doubt) in forcing as many as possible into joining uni-search

I don't know which of the two is the case though.

(^) maybe for marketing purposes? "our Search scours through $(GAZILLION) content providers!"
0 Kudos
nocarrier
Reel Rookie

Thanks for the insight. I was imagining it was probably something along those lines too. I just don't like speculating on something that should be concrete. If there are guidelines, the should be defined properly.
If it just gets thrown under the rug from not enough squeaky wheels though, it may just end up being another thread like your unanswered questions one.
This is different though. We have to comply with a rule and have no idea what it is. Neither does anyone who has set the rule, I imagine.
0 Kudos
nocarrier
Reel Rookie

Channel was approved btw.  Delayed because I had to cancel halfway through due to "branding" and other such non-dev stuff.  I have to apologize for my tone in my first post.  The dev support team really is doing a great job what quite possibly is what Enterr has suspected.  Either way:
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 88cb29da69
0 Kudos
bosborne
Visitor

Bumping in hopes that a Roku rep can chime in.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

For public channels and private channels, January 1, 2019 will be enforced.  They ought to be able to free up a whole lot of space on the channel store servers from dead channel code then.
0 Kudos
bosborne
Visitor

Well I'm still confused as to why deep linking is a requirement if your channel doesn't participate in the global search index?
0 Kudos