Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuShawnS
Channel Surfer

Re: New Firmware problems

"squirreltown" wrote:
Been two months now, Any news on fixing this bug?

"squirreltown" wrote:
Hello Roku?

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Can folks who are experiencing this dropbox us some example channels we can side-load that demonstrate this bug, so we can work out the cause? You can send it to me in a private message or email jbraverman at roku dot com.

Thanks

- Joel
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

I'd like to say thanks for replying - but with all due respect, it might be more effective to just say whatever it is you are trying to say. Other than the appearance of irritation at being asked a question, I'm really not sure what that reply is supposed to mean.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"squirreltown" wrote:
I'd like to say thanks for replying - but with all due respect, it might be more effective to just say whatever it is you are trying to say. Other than the appearance of irritation at being asked a question, I'm really not sure what that reply is supposed to mean.

RokuJoel asked for developers experiencing the issue to post an example channel up on dropbox, so they can try to reproduce it. You keep asking if it's been fixed, but if you haven't provided any sample code for them to use to reproduce it, there's not much they can do. I believe that's what RokuShawnS was pointing out.

I, personally, haven't experienced what you're describing, and I haven't seen any other installed channel exhibiting the behavior, so my guess is that you're doing something different in your code that's causing it, and a change in the recent firmware exposed the issue more prominently.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Thank you theEndless
Since I started this thread its probably not surprising that I sent my channel in the day it was requested too. Google Analytics tells me it was run at Roku. I then waited 8 weeks & two firmware upgrades before asking about it here on the developer board. And finally the problem is happening in areas where I did not create any code, as in when selecting an item from a grid screen, or simply exiting a grid screen to return to the poster screen, whatever code is in those areas is straight out of the SDK, and worked fine before 5.1.
I have a very simple channel and would like it to not look like someone is jiggling the HDMI cable when just going from one screen to another, the way it worked before 5.1. I'm glad you aren't experiencing that, but I am and there is nowhere else to ask.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"squirreltown" wrote:
Thank you theEndless
Since I started this thread its probably not surprising that I sent my channel in the day it was requested too. Google Analytics tells me it was run at Roku. I then waited 8 weeks & two firmware upgrades before asking about it here on the developer board. And finally the problem is happening in areas where I did not create any code, as in when selecting an item from a grid screen, or simply exiting a grid screen to return to the poster screen, whatever code is in those areas is straight out of the SDK, and worked fine before 5.1.
I have a very simple channel and would like it to not look like someone is jiggling the HDMI cable when just going from one screen to another, the way it worked before 5.1. I'm glad you aren't experiencing that, but I am and there is nowhere else to ask.
Has Joel responded to the PM or email you sent him when you provided the sample code? If not, perhaps another PM/email to remind him wouldn't hurt. Can you share a minimal amount of sample code that can reliably trigger the issue with the other developers here on the forum so we can compare, comment, confirm and/or make suggestions? Even if it's straight out of the sdk examples, it would still be helpful.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Thanks gonzotek. No I never got a response, but since I could tell it was "in the system" at Roku I am happy to stay out of the way and let folks do their jobs. I think i waited a perfectly respectful amount of time before asking about it.
As far as posting code here, its really not the kind of problem that lends itself to that or I might have done it already. If someone is curious I would be happy to send them the install code and directions for seeing the problem, although since its clearly not a wide-spread occurrence I suspect my hardware (2XS's) might be part of it, but I don't have the experience to actually know that.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"squirreltown" wrote:
Thanks gonzotek. No I never got a response, but since I could tell it was "in the system" at Roku I am happy to stay out of the way and let folks do their jobs. I think i waited a perfectly respectful amount of time before asking about it.
As far as posting code here, its really not the kind of problem that lends itself to that or I might have done it already. If someone is curious I would be happy to send them the install code and directions for seeing the problem, although since its clearly not a wide-spread occurrence I suspect my hardware (2XS's) might be part of it, but I don't have the experience to actually know that.

Since you said it was in standard SDK code that you're using, does the SDK app you took that code from exhibit it?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Endless-
In the instance of getting a black flash when selecting an item from the grid screen, Yes it does occur in the stock original source - the mrss_grid_templete 1.01. I just loaded it again and confirmed that.
In the instance of getting a black flash in between exiting the grid screen and the loading of the poster screen I really can't answer that as they don't exist together in the SDK. My poster screen was from the DeviantArt example.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

FYI, I believe we have a fix checked in for this issue for an upcoming firmware release.

- Joel
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
FYI, I believe we have a fix checked in for this issue for an upcoming firmware release.

- Joel

Thank you Joel.
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
Need Assistance?
Welcome to the Roku Community! Feel free to search our Community for answers or post your question to get help.

Become a Roku Streaming Expert!

Share your expertise, help fellow streamers, and unlock exclusive rewards as part of the Roku Community. Learn more.