Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: New Eclipse Plugin Release 6/27/2013

I just installed on my linux box and am getting this error:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.model.BrightScriptModelUtils.addBuiltinsToCache(BrightScriptModelUtils.java:121)
at com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.model.BrightScriptModelUtils.createDefaultBuiltInsCache(BrightScriptModelUtils.java:90)
at com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.model.parsers.BrightScriptSourceElementParser.parseSourceModule(BrightScriptSourceElementParser.java:78)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.core.AbstractSourceModule.buildStructure(AbstractSourceModule.java:507)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.core.Openable.generateInfos(Openable.java:188)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.core.ModelElement.openWhenClosed(ModelElement.java:184)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.core.BecomeWorkingCopyOperation.executeOperation(BecomeWorkingCopyOperation.java:45)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.core.ModelOperation.run(ModelOperation.java:698)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.core.ModelOperation.runOperation(ModelOperation.java:764)

I found an old post from last year where you fixed what looked like the same error. Did that fix get reverted, or am I doing something wrong?
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
at com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.model.BrightScriptModelUtils.addBuiltinsToCache(BrightScriptModelUtils.java:121)
at com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.model.BrightScriptModelUtils.createDefaultBuiltInsCache(BrightScriptModelUtils.java:90)
at com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.model.parsers.BrightScriptSourceElementParser.parseSourceModule(BrightScriptSourceElementParser.java:78)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.core.AbstractSourceModule.buildStructure(AbstractSourceModule.java:507)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.core.ModelElement.openWhenClosed(ModelElement.java:184)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.core.BecomeWorkingCopyOperation.executeOperation(BecomeWorkingCopyOperation.java:45)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.core.ModelOperation.runOperation(ModelOperation.java:764)

I found an old post from last year where you fixed what looked like the same error. Did that fix get reverted, or am I doing something wrong?

That fix hasn't been reverted, and the fact that you're seeing a nullpointer means it could possibly be the aforementioned java memory management issue.
Have you verified that it's not that?
Please see this post: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=61093#p400241

Cheers
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"malloys" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:

That fix hasn't been reverted, and the fact that you're seeing a nullpointer means it could possibly be the aforementioned java memory management issue.
Have you verified that it's not that?
Please see this post: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=61093#p400241

Cheers

64-bit Eclipse (Kepler), 64-bit Java (1.70_21), 1024 memory, Ubuntu (if that matters)... still no luck. It looks pretty much like the exact same stack trace posted here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=51738&p=362104#p362104
I've tried installing a 32-bit version of Eclipse, but I can't get it to run under the 64-bit JVM.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

64-bit Eclipse (Kepler), 64-bit Java (1.70_21), 1024 memory, Ubuntu (if that matters)... still no luck.

I'll see if I can reproduce it in debugging mode under Ubuntu and track it back to the root cause.
I need 3 pieces of info from you to get started:
1) Which specific release of Ubuntu are you running?
2) Your eclipse config info (this is a bit large, so PM me with it). Get this from inside eclipse: Help->About Eclipse->Installation Details->Configuration->Copy to Clipboard
3) The output of the command "java -version". Be sure you are running the installation of java that your eclipse instance is using when doing so.

It looks pretty much like the exact same stack trace posted here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=51738&p=362104#p362104

Yep, looks like it, but I've already confirmed that it's not the same issue - the fix for that bug is still in place in the current code. Unless you managed to install an older version of the plugin from somewhere, the cause is different.

I've tried installing a 32-bit version of Eclipse, but I can't get it to run under the 64-bit JVM.

You wouldn't be able to - 32-bit eclipse runs with 32-bit java, 64-bit eclipse runs with 64-bit java (and on 64-bit Ubuntu, you'd need the ia32-libs package installed to run anything 32-bit).
However... That recommendation is only applicable after you've upgraded java to the latest version, and then explicitly see java "out-of-memory" errors in eclipse (where other pseudo-random exceptions were shown before the java upgrade). Your version of java is a little out of date (the latest is 1.7 update 25), but it's close enough that it has the memory management bugfix in it, so apparently the memory management bug is not the cause in your case.

So, send me the info requested above, and I'll see what I can find.

Cheers
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"malloys" wrote:
64-bit Eclipse (Kepler), 64-bit Java (1.70_21), 1024 memory, Ubuntu (if that matters)... still no luck.

I'll see if I can reproduce it in debugging mode under Ubuntu and track it back to the root cause.
I need 3 pieces of info from you to get started:
1) Which specific release of Ubuntu are you running?
2) Your eclipse config info (this is a bit large, so PM me with it). Get this from inside eclipse: Help->About Eclipse->Installation Details->Configuration->Copy to Clipboard
3) The output of the command "java -version". Be sure you are running the installation of java that your eclipse instance is using when doing so.

It looks pretty much like the exact same stack trace posted here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=51738&p=362104#p362104

Yep, looks like it, but I've already confirmed that it's not the same issue - the fix for that bug is still in place in the current code. Unless you managed to install an older version of the plugin from somewhere, the cause is different.

You wouldn't be able to - 32-bit eclipse runs with 32-bit java, 64-bit eclipse runs with 64-bit java (and on 64-bit Ubuntu, you'd need the ia32-libs package installed to run anything 32-bit).
However... That recommendation is only applicable after you've upgraded java to the latest version, and then explicitly see java "out-of-memory" errors in eclipse (where other pseudo-random exceptions were shown before the java upgrade). Your version of java is a little out of date (the latest is 1.7 update 25), but it's close enough that it has the memory management bugfix in it, so apparently the memory management bug is not the cause in your case.

So, send me the info requested above, and I'll see what I can find.

Cheers

PM and email sent. Thanks!
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:

FYI to anyone seeing this exact stacktrace...

TheEndless and I tracked this bug back to a use-case that is *not* specific to any one platform, environment, or the java memory management issue:

If you open a BrightScript source file directly ( via File->Open File ) outside of the context of an open BrightScript Project, the file open action will fail with the above stacktrace.
The workaround is to only open BrightScript source files within the context of an open BrightScript project (even if you need to create a temporary BrightScript project).

Cheers
0 Kudos
dmitskevich
Visitor

I've got recently Roku 3. Eclipse plugin fails to download package from it. The error is:

Link to the screenshot: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/161 ... -Error.png (Unable to package application on Roku box / Unexpected response)

Looks like "Roku 3" generates different HTML then "Roku HD" which I had before. Have you tried your Eclipse plugin with Roku 3?
0 Kudos
dmitskevich
Visitor

Could you please also update http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Eclipse+Plugin+Guide with release info. Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"dmitskevich" wrote:
I've got recently Roku 3. Eclipse plugin fails to download package from it. The error is:
<snip/>

Yes, that's a known bug that has already been fixed in the upcoming plugin release.
FYI, the bug is not specific to Roku 3, just firmware revisions after a certain number (can't remember the specific version at the moment).
Older boxes (generation 1 boxes) that are pegged to the 3.1 firmware version won't exhibit this bug.
All other boxes will exhibit this bug since the firmware version that changed the developer screen output has long since been pushed to all gen 2/gen 3 boxes.

The new release should be made available very soon.

Cheers
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"dmitskevich" wrote:
Could you please also update http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Eclipse+Plugin+Guide with release info. Thanks in advance!

Good catch - I've asked the guys that are in charge of the plugin release publishing to correct that omission when they publish the upcoming release.

Cheers
0 Kudos