Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RokuBradO
Visitor

New Eclipse Plugin Release 6/27/2013

A new update to the BrightScript Eclipse Plugin is available via the updates site:
http://rokudev.roku.com/updates/

The full Eclipse Plugin Guide can be found here:
http://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/ ... ugin+Guide

Release Notes:
This release addresses various bug fixes in the plugin.

Bugfixes:
Type System - use of ifAssociativeArray and ifEnum methods in any return expression beginning with m. cause all .brs source editors in a project to fail
Type System - partial addition to support tracking specific event types expected on specific roMessagePort instances
Export to BrightScript errors before IP field entry is complete
Docs system - hypertext links embedded in the documentation html will not respond to clicks
Docs system - Add support for docs window toolbar buttons: forward, backward, open declaration
Docs system - Add support for field comments on same line
Search - References searching doesn't return any results
0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: New Eclipse Plugin Release 6/27/2013

I had been avoiding updating due to some of the parsing errors reported in the previous build, but I made the jump today with the new version. As luck would have it, I'm getting the following "Editor cannot be initialized" error when I try to open any of my library files...
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.model.ast.BrightScriptASTTranslator.exitAnonfunction(BrightScriptASTTranslator.java:1603)
at com.roku.brightscript.parser.BrightScriptAnalyzer.exit(BrightScriptAnalyzer.java:1203)
at net.percederberg.grammatica.parser.Parser.exitNode(Parser.java:540)
at net.percederberg.grammatica.parser.RecursiveDescentParser.parseAlternative(RecursiveDescentParser.java:300)
at net.percederberg.grammatica.parser.RecursiveDescentParser.parsePattern(RecursiveDescentParser.java:218)
at net.percederberg.grammatica.parser.RecursiveDescentParser.parseElement(RecursiveDescentParser.java:333)
at net.percederberg.grammatica.parser.RecursiveDescentParser.parseAlternative(RecursiveDescentParser.java:298)
at net.percederberg.grammatica.parser.RecursiveDescentParser.parsePattern(RecursiveDescentParser.java:218)

These are a collection of files that are not explicitly part of any one BrightScript project. I tried building a new project from a copy of the same folder and also received a "NullPointerException" while it was building the workspace, so it seems like there might be a file in there that's causing it to choke, which in turn is bringing down the whole project. Is there any way I can identify the problem file? This wasn't an issue with the previous (to the previous) version of the plugin, so I'm guessing it's related to the new type interface.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
I had been avoiding updating due to some of the parsing errors reported in the previous build, but I made the jump today with the new version. As luck would have it, I'm getting the following "Editor cannot be initialized" error when I try to open any of my library files...
at com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.model.ast.BrightScriptASTTranslator.exitAnonfunction(BrightScriptASTTranslator.java:1603)
at com.roku.brightscript.parser.BrightScriptAnalyzer.exit(BrightScriptAnalyzer.java:1203)
at net.percederberg.grammatica.parser.RecursiveDescentParser.parseAlternative(RecursiveDescentParser.java:300)
at net.percederberg.grammatica.parser.RecursiveDescentParser.parseElement(RecursiveDescentParser.java:333)
at net.percederberg.grammatica.parser.RecursiveDescentParser.parseAlternative(RecursiveDescentParser.java:298)

These are a collection of files that are not explicitly part of any one BrightScript project. I tried building a new project from a copy of the same folder and also received a "NullPointerException" while it was building the workspace, so it seems like there might be a file in there that's causing it to choke, which in turn is bringing down the whole project. Is there any way I can identify the problem file? This wasn't an issue with the previous (to the previous) version of the plugin, so I'm guessing it's related to the new type interface.

You've uncovered a previously undiscovered bug that apparently found it's way in at least 2 plugin versions ago.
The bug is exposed by any anonymous function declaration that has an empty implementation (i.e. the function body).
I should have a fix checked-in momentarily, although I don't know when the updated plugin will be published.

In the meantime, you should be able to work-around the bug by examining your source files via a text-editor and looking for anon function declarations that have an empty function body and adding some dummy code to it (such as "x=0").

Cheers
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"malloys" wrote:
You've uncovered a previously undiscovered bug that apparently found it's way in at least 2 plugin versions ago.
The bug is exposed by any anonymous function declaration that has an empty implementation (i.e. the function body).
I should have a fix checked-in momentarily, although I don't know when the updated plugin will be published.

In the meantime, you should be able to work-around the bug by examining your source files via a text-editor and looking for anon function declarations that have an empty function body and adding some dummy code to it (such as "x=0").

Cheers

It looks like that was exactly the problem! Thanks for the quick response and workaround! I guess I'll have to find other ways to break it now.. 😉
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
KentL
Visitor

Any update as to when the fix will be published? I'm not using anonymous functions but still getting the reported error on Juno 4.2. Thanks!
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"KentL" wrote:
Any update as to when the fix will be published? I'm not using anonymous functions but still getting the reported error on Juno 4.2. Thanks!

If you are seeing "com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.model.ast.BrightScriptASTTranslator.exitAnonfunction(BrightScriptASTTranslator.java:1603)" in the stacktrace, then you have an empty anonymous function somewhere.

If you don't see that line, then it's not the same error.

What's the *full* stacktrace you are seeing?
0 Kudos
KentL
Visitor

Must be a different issue then since I don't see that particular error. Here is the full stack trace, thanks for taking a look.

at com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.model.ast.BrightScriptASTTranslator.processFnCallFnRefOrVarRef(BrightScriptASTTranslator.java:2335)
at com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.model.ast.BrightScriptASTTranslator.exitFnexprtail(BrightScriptASTTranslator.java:2129)
at com.roku.brightscript.parser.BrightScriptAnalyzer.exit(BrightScriptAnalyzer.java:1329)
at net.percederberg.grammatica.parser.RecursiveDescentParser.parsePattern(RecursiveDescentParser.java:267)
at net.percederberg.grammatica.parser.RecursiveDescentParser.parseStart(RecursiveDescentParser.java:177)
at net.percederberg.grammatica.parser.Parser.parse(Parser.java:389)
at com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.model.parsers.BrightScriptSourceParser.parse(BrightScriptSourceParser.java:79)
at com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.model.parsers.BrightScriptSourceElementParser.parseSourceModule(BrightScriptSourceElementParser.java:83)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.core.AbstractSourceModule.buildStructure(AbstractSourceModule.java:507)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.core.Openable.generateInfos(Openable.java:188)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.core.ModelElement.openWhenClosed(ModelElement.java:184)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.core.BecomeWorkingCopyOperation.executeOperation(BecomeWorkingCopyOperation.java:45)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.core.ModelOperation.run(ModelOperation.java:698)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.core.ModelOperation.runOperation(ModelOperation.java:764)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.core.SourceModule.becomeWorkingCopy(SourceModule.java:68)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.ui.editor.SourceModuleDocumentProvider.createFileInfo(SourceModuleDocumentProvider.java:1254)
at org.eclipse.ui.editors.text.TextFileDocumentProvider.connect(TextFileDocumentProvider.java:478)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.ui.editor.SourceModuleDocumentProvider.connect(SourceModuleDocumentProvider.java:1487)
at org.eclipse.ui.texteditor.AbstractTextEditor.doSetInput(AbstractTextEditor.java:4222)
at org.eclipse.ui.texteditor.StatusTextEditor.doSetInput(StatusTextEditor.java:237)
at org.eclipse.ui.texteditor.AbstractDecoratedTextEditor.doSetInput(AbstractDecoratedTextEditor.java:1480)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.ui.editor.ScriptEditor.internalDoSetInput(ScriptEditor.java:799)
at org.eclipse.dltk.internal.ui.editor.ScriptEditor.doSetInput(ScriptEditor.java:1276)
at com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.editors.brs.BrightScriptEditor.doSetInput(BrightScriptEditor.java:53)
at org.eclipse.ui.texteditor.AbstractTextEditor$19.run(AbstractTextEditor.java:3209)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext.runInCurrentThread(ModalContext.java:464)
at org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext.run(ModalContext.java:372)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow$13.run(WorkbenchWindow.java:1679)
at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:70)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchWindow.run(WorkbenchWindow.java:1676)
at org.eclipse.ui.texteditor.AbstractTextEditor.internalInit(AbstractTextEditor.java:3227)
at org.eclipse.ui.texteditor.AbstractTextEditor.init(AbstractTextEditor.java:3254)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.initialize(EditorReference.java:360)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.e4.compatibility.CompatibilityPart.create(CompatibilityPart.java:301)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.MethodRequestor.execute(MethodRequestor.java:56)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.processAnnotated(InjectorImpl.java:861)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.processAnnotated(InjectorImpl.java:841)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.inject(InjectorImpl.java:113)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.internalMake(InjectorImpl.java:321)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.internal.di.InjectorImpl.make(InjectorImpl.java:242)
at org.eclipse.e4.core.contexts.ContextInjectionFactory.make(ContextInjectionFactory.java:161)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ReflectionContributionFactory.createFromBundle(ReflectionContributionFactory.java:102)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ReflectionContributionFactory.doCreate(ReflectionContributionFactory.java:71)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ReflectionContributionFactory.create(ReflectionContributionFactory.java:53)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.ContributedPartRenderer.createWidget(ContributedPartRenderer.java:141)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.createWidget(PartRenderingEngine.java:894)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.safeCreateGui(PartRenderingEngine.java:629)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.safeCreateGui(PartRenderingEngine.java:731)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.access$2(PartRenderingEngine.java:702)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$7.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:696)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.createGui(PartRenderingEngine.java:681)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.StackRenderer.showTab(StackRenderer.java:1115)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.LazyStackRenderer$1.handleEvent(LazyStackRenderer.java:67)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.services.internal.events.UIEventHandler$1.run(UIEventHandler.java:41)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.syncExec(Synchronizer.java:180)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.UISynchronizer.syncExec(UISynchronizer.java:150)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.syncExec(Display.java:4687)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.E4Application$1.syncExec(E4Application.java:187)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.services.internal.events.UIEventHandler.handleEvent(UIEventHandler.java:38)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.event.EventHandlerWrapper.handleEvent(EventHandlerWrapper.java:197)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.event.EventHandlerTracker.dispatchEvent(EventHandlerTracker.java:197)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.event.EventHandlerTracker.dispatchEvent(EventHandlerTracker.java:1)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:230)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.ListenerQueue.dispatchEventSynchronous(ListenerQueue.java:148)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.event.EventAdminImpl.dispatchEvent(EventAdminImpl.java:135)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.event.EventAdminImpl.sendEvent(EventAdminImpl.java:78)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.event.EventComponent.sendEvent(EventComponent.java:39)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.services.internal.events.EventBroker.send(EventBroker.java:80)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.UIEventPublisher.notifyChanged(UIEventPublisher.java:58)
at org.eclipse.emf.common.notify.impl.BasicNotifierImpl.eNotify(BasicNotifierImpl.java:374)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.model.application.ui.impl.ElementContainerImpl.setSelectedElement(ElementContainerImpl.java:171)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ModelServiceImpl.showElementInWindow(ModelServiceImpl.java:422)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.ModelServiceImpl.bringToTop(ModelServiceImpl.java:389)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.PartServiceImpl.delegateBringToTop(PartServiceImpl.java:606)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.PartServiceImpl.bringToTop(PartServiceImpl.java:332)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.PartServiceImpl.showPart(PartServiceImpl.java:1029)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:3047)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$22(WorkbenchPage.java:2969)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$8.run(WorkbenchPage.java:2951)
at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:70)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2947)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2911)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2902)
at org.eclipse.ui.ide.IDE.openEditor(IDE.java:655)
at org.eclipse.ui.ide.IDE.openEditor(IDE.java:614)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.javaeditor.EditorUtility.openInEditor(EditorUtility.java:360)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.javaeditor.EditorUtility.openInEditor(EditorUtility.java:167)
at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.OpenAction.run(OpenAction.java:249)
at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.OpenAction.run(OpenAction.java:228)
at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.SelectionDispatchAction.dispatchRun(SelectionDispatchAction.java:275)
at org.eclipse.jdt.ui.actions.SelectionDispatchAction.run(SelectionDispatchAction.java:251)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.ui.navigator.OpenAndExpand.run(OpenAndExpand.java:50)
at org.eclipse.ui.actions.RetargetAction.run(RetargetAction.java:221)
at org.eclipse.ui.navigator.CommonNavigatorManager$3.open(CommonNavigatorManager.java:185)
at org.eclipse.ui.OpenAndLinkWithEditorHelper$InternalListener.open(OpenAndLinkWithEditorHelper.java:48)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$2.run(StructuredViewer.java:866)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.SafeRunner.run(SafeRunner.java:42)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.JFaceUtil$1.run(JFaceUtil.java:49)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.SafeRunnable.run(SafeRunnable.java:175)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.fireOpen(StructuredViewer.java:864)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer.handleOpen(StructuredViewer.java:1152)
at org.eclipse.ui.navigator.CommonViewer.handleOpen(CommonViewer.java:462)
at org.eclipse.jface.viewers.StructuredViewer$6.handleOpen(StructuredViewer.java:1256)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.fireOpenEvent(OpenStrategy.java:275)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy.access$2(OpenStrategy.java:269)
at org.eclipse.jface.util.OpenStrategy$1.handleEvent(OpenStrategy.java:309)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1053)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4169)
at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3758)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine$9.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:1053)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.swt.PartRenderingEngine.run(PartRenderingEngine.java:942)
at org.eclipse.e4.ui.internal.workbench.E4Workbench.createAndRunUI(E4Workbench.java:86)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$5.run(Workbench.java:588)
at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:543)
at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:124)
at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:353)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:180)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:629)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:584)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1438)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1414)
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"KentL" wrote:
Must be a different issue then since I don't see that particular error. Here is the full stack trace, thanks for taking a look.

at com.roku.brightscript.ide.eclipse.core.model.ast.BrightScriptASTTranslator.processFnCallFnRefOrVarRef(BrightScriptASTTranslator.java:2335)
<snip/>

Given the details of that location in the plugin code ( and assuming you are running the current plugin release ), you are most likely running into a known java memory management issue.
Although things got off-topic later in the thread, see my comments in this specific post: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=61093#p400241

Cheers
0 Kudos
KentL
Visitor

Thank you, advice from your other post solved the issue! In my eclipse.ini file, I changed the last value (-Xmx) from 512m --> 1024m.

Here is the final working ini file:

-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20120522-1813.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_64_1.1.200.v20120913-144807
-product
org.eclipse.epp.package.java.product
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256M
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256m
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
-Dhelp.lucene.tokenizer=standard
-Xms40m
-Xmx1024m
0 Kudos
malloys
Visitor

"KentL" wrote:
Thank you, advice from your other post solved the issue! In my eclipse.ini file, I changed the last value (-Xmx) from 512m --> 1024m.

Here is the final working ini file:

-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20120522-1813.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_64_1.1.200.v20120913-144807
-product
org.eclipse.epp.package.java.product
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256M
-showsplash
org.eclipse.platform
--launcher.XXMaxPermSize
256m
--launcher.defaultAction
openFile
-vmargs
-Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.5
-Dhelp.lucene.tokenizer=standard
-Xms40m
-Xmx1024m

I'm glad that got you going, but be aware that you also almost certainly have contributing problems (1) and (2) mentioned in that other post:

1) You are very likely using a not-up-to-date version of java to run eclipse (because your stacktrace didn't display itself as an "out of memory" error) - So, you may still run into random odd errors/stacktraces when an out of memory condition occurs, instead of seeing the correct error message. Also, in many cases, the current version of java will also be able to free up the needed memory on its own without manual intervention from you. I suggest you upgrade your java version to the latest to avoid that problem.

and

2) The .ini file you posted shows that you are running a 64-bit version of eclipse. So, you will consume more memory (address overhead) than a 32-bit version of eclipse. In the future if you ever find yourself running out of memory again, and increasing -Xmx doesn't solve the problem, switching to a 32-bit version of eclipse might do the trick (depending on how high an Xmx value you need and how much physical memory you have available).

Cheers
0 Kudos