Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

New Channel to access Home Media devices based on HipServ

Hi folks,

I own a Roku XPS (2100X) and a Seagate Freeagent GoFlex Home, and always wanted to access my music, photos and movies from Roku but it lacks support to DLNA.
So I ended up creating a Roku Private channel that makes this "link" possible because the Seagate Freeagent Home uses a platform named HipServ, as far as I know the companies that have products based on HipServ are Verbatim, Netgear, Seagate, LaCie and Roxio.

This platform has an API based on HTTP, so I was able to create a Roku Channel to access and stream media from my GoFLex.

I will submit it as a private channel the next weekend, initially only supporting Seagate (because I don't know yet the authentication servers for the other companies).

Anyone here would like to Beta test it with me ?
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

Re: New Channel to access Home Media devices based on HipSer

As promised here goes the link for the new Channel:

https://owner.roku.com/add/GoFlexAccess

For now it only supports Seagate GoFlex system (because is the device I have) but potentially this application can run with any devices that uses the HipServ system.

If you have a Roku and a GoFlex feel free to test the channel and give me some feedback.
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

I just removed the channel above and created a new one with the generic name "HipServ Access" because it now supports Seagate GoFlex and Netgear Stora, you can get it at:

https://owner.roku.com/add/HipServ

Some screeshots : http://flic.kr/s/aHsjyHsC7q
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

Just to advise whoever installed the HipServ Channel, I just found a bug in it, if the MP3 file doesn't have the Year (of the album release) on it's metadata the Music Player will fail.

I fixed that but will only release on Saturday together with the new "Search feature".
0 Kudos
marcoscu
Visitor

Good one. Thanks. Glad to see it install on UK Roku boxes too 🙂
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

As promised the HipServ Access channel version 1.2 was released with the following fixes/additions:
- Fixed issue with MP3 metadata: Crash when the Year was missing
- Added Search Media feature that allows to find Music and Video from the Libraries
- Added About screen with the channel information and my contact for reporting issues

I had to limit the search feature to Audio and Video files because the HipServ API is returning folders without names and thumbnail files (from hidden folders).

Enjoy!
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

Small update (v1.3) released to add support to 2 new Storage Systems:
- Verbatim MediaShare
- Roxio Streamer
0 Kudos
jpalmerw
Visitor

Just read about your private channel and sounds great. I already use two of the 3TB Seagate Goflex drives but they are attached to my PC via USB3. Have been thinking about getting a FreeAgent GoFlex Satellite to use with my IPAD. Can I also configure this unit to work with my ROKU using your private channel setup (nnow the NAS drive needs to have the hipserv software but can't tell if the Satellite model has this)..thanks.
0 Kudos
new2roku2
Visitor

Hi All,
I just got my first Roku yesterday and was worried about the incompatibility with the GoFlex Home NAS I have my media on. Thanks for taking the time/effort to create the channel that will interface our Seagate NAS device. I just added the channel and will work on configuring it tonight when I'm back at home. One question I did have is, "Should the media files be located on the Public or Private section of the GoFlex, or does it matter?" I know there is authentication to get to the Private "drive", but if placing them on the Public side works, I'll just do that. Thanks again and let me know if you have anything new you want to test out.
0 Kudos
marcelo_cabral
Roku Guru

"new2roku2" wrote:
Hi All,
I just got my first Roku yesterday and was worried about the incompatibility with the GoFlex Home NAS I have my media on. Thanks for taking the time/effort to create the channel that will interface our Seagate NAS device. I just added the channel and will work on configuring it tonight when I'm back at home. One question I did have is, "Should the media files be located on the Public or Private section of the GoFlex, or does it matter?" I know there is authentication to get to the Private "drive", but if placing them on the Public side works, I'll just do that. Thanks again and let me know if you have anything new you want to test out.

The Roku channel will show all libraries for the authenticated user (Public & Private)

You can see some screenshots here:
http://flic.kr/s/aHsjyHsC7q
0 Kudos