Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
balbant
Streaming Star

Need to play YouTube videos in my channel.

I want to play YouTube videos on my Roku channel using a YouTube video link. Is it possible? Could you please suggest? I also have knowledge of Deep linking to play YouTube video, but I want to play the video within my own app.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Need to play YouTube videos in my channel.

I'm pretty sure that would violate Youtube/Google's TOS and therefore probably Roku's as well.

Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

If you are the content/copyright owner, you can move the videos to another CDN and stream them from the new location.  You'll need to recode each video with a tool like Nero Video.

If, however, you are not the content owner, you must acquire permission from the content owner to stream their video content.  Then, you'll need to follow the steps above.

I have successfully obtained permission (from my content owners) and moved videos to a CDN for streaming.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos
MrStreamr

You need the owners permission even for creative common videos on youtube?  I thought you just had to attribute the content owner (credit)

0 Kudos
Baradanikto
Roku Guru

@MrStreamr I am not a law professional, but, if I were in your situation, I would make sure that I had complete permission to stream content that I did not own.  Especially, if you plan to monetize the channel.

FREE Windows desktop software for converting Direct Publisher channels to SceneGraph (SDK), for creating BIF (Trick Play) files, Roku (MRSS, JSON) feed files, and FireTV feed files @ GitHub/rrirower.
0 Kudos