Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tacticalcity
Visitor

Need help integrating VideoPlayer and RokuAdFrameworkSample

So thru some poking around I found the link to the RokuAdFrameworkSample.zip

But where I found it did not include any documentation. Just a fellow developer asking questions.

Is there a link that talks about how to integrate this? Perhaps...hopefully...a "how to integrate this for dummies" version?

Also, while poking around inside the files in this example it looks like it might rely on a missing .brs file to work. But I could be wrong. I'm new.

The manifest file says it needs...

bs_libs_required=roku_ads_lib

Then when I look inside the main.brs file it starts off saying...

Library "Roku_Ads.brs"

So is my main.brs file really my Roku_Ads.brs file? Do I rename it when integrating my channel which already has a main.brs file?

See what I am getting at here? I'm really new at this.

SOME BACKGROUND INFORMATION YOU MIGHT NEED:

My channel is basically just the VideoPlayer example from the SDK. I have made only a handful of very minor edits. Removed the star ratings, changed text color, that's it. Nothing that should get trip you up when thinking of it as being exactly like the example in SDK when explaining how to integrate these two SDK examples into one.

Thank you for the help.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
tacticalcity
Visitor

Re: Is there a cheat sheet for integrating ads into channels

Also, I am hoping there is a way to put code in my XML files where I have my list of ads to play that says whether or not to play a preroll ad, or exit roll ad, or no ad at all.

I would like to have the exit roll ad be a hard coded url to a file on my server. A "thank you for watching" video branded to the application.

I would like the option to have the preroll ads be either hard coded files or ads served up by which ever ad company I can get to approve me being I am so new.

I do not need midroll ads at the moment so I would to be able to turn that off but still have it as a future possiblity, so I assume I'll need to comment out a bunch of code.

Thank you so much for holding my hand and walking me thru how to integrate this into my Channel.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: Need help integrating VideoPlayer and RokuAdFrameworkSam

See here in our SDK Docs site:

Roku Advertising Framework

- Joel
0 Kudos
tacticalcity
Visitor

Was hoping for something a little more see spot run, and that had an example of merging the two examples of the VideoPlayer and the RokuAdFrameworkSample. Since most people start off with the examples in the SDK...a beginners guide that shows step-by-step how to merge the two would be extremely useful.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

I'll answer the part i know.
"tacticalcity" wrote:
The manifest file says it needs...

bs_libs_required=roku_ads_lib

Then when I look inside the main.brs file it starts off saying...

Library "Roku_Ads.brs"

So is my main.brs file really my Roku_Ads.brs file? Do I rename it when integrating my channel which already has a main.brs file?

No.
"Library" is akin to C's #include, tells it to compile said source file from some other (non-"source/" location). That gives you the function Roku_Ads() you can call.

"bs_libs_required=roku_ads_lib" is a magical incantation to tell the runtime to make available for inclusion the "Roku_Ads.brs" in a special, hidden place (where you the developer shall not trespass)
0 Kudos
tacticalcity
Visitor

So basically I was over thinking it. Thanks for the help.

Wish there was a "For Dummies" version of this stuff.
0 Kudos