Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EngoTom
Visitor

NHL - "Define Out of Market"

Quote - Up to 40 out of market games per week.

What determines "Out of Market"?

Is this inforced by client IP address?

Go Ducks!

THX
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
RokuKevin
Visitor

Re: NHL - "Define Out of Market"

The NHL controls the blackout rules, but from their FAQ: https://gamecenter.nhl.com/nhlgc/help.htm

Due to local blackout rules and regulations, games broadcasts that are available to watch on television in your local market and nationally televised games are not available to watch live or within 48 hours of game completion in NHL GameCenter LIVE™ (see below for other blackout scenarios).

--Kevin
0 Kudos

Basically if the game is on your local TV you can't watch the game on the site. If a game is nationally televised you won't be able to watch it on site. Or watch it on channel for that manner.

The service is designed for folks who have a favorite team that are outside of their local area. I like The Pens, but I live in CA. I can watch all Pens games except for national broadcast games. So it's a good service for me. Video quality is very nice. They also have archives. So the blackout games you can watch at a later time if you desire.

If you sign up. You can cancel within five days. If you exceed the five days then your paying for the full season. So you do have those first few days to decide if you want to keep the service.
0 Kudos
Sip75
Visitor

I have a unique situation based on my location. I am inside the geographic area that WGN Chicago buys the broadcast rights, but not close enough to the Chicago market to receive it. Instead of WGN Chicago, I receive WGN America. There is roughly 20 Blackhawks games broadcast on WGN Chicago. Sadly if I purchase NHL Center Ice I get blacked out due to being too close to Chicago.

When I tested it, it was a HOME Hawks game broadcast on WGN Chicago and was blacked out. Does anyone know if it matters it they are playing home or away? If the Hawks were away, could I view the other teams broadcast feed or is it a full blackout on both feeds?
0 Kudos
kc8pql
Visitor

Blacked out games are archived about 90 mins. or so after they're over so, if you can wait that long, you can watch then.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R
0 Kudos