Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Oops. I was getting a cached page from my browser. Once I forced a refresh the new version was there.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

Report on CacklingAvacado

You guys are supremely awesome!

My Media browser page...
The readme won't show: My browser says that everything is done loading, but the page itself still had "loading readme..." on it. Does the file exist? (I'm using Firefox 3.6)

My Media roku channel...
No problems! My music, video, photo, and streaming channels play just fine. The shuffle and play all functions work great.
The only thing I have problems playing are playlists, but I'm pretty sure it's because my filepaths are not setup correctly.

Anyone care to help me out on the playlist problem? I'm making m3u files with WMP11, but roku tells me that there is no audio to retrieve. What should the filepaths to my mp3s look like?
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

Well I loaded up the latest and greatest crazy named file.

My locally generated stream - from the SirusXM Streamer is not playing

What formats are currently supported??

here is the url

http://192.168.1.98:51710/xm?channel=57&format=asx

I also tried this in m3u format as well

http://192.168.1.98:51710/xm?channel=57&format=m3u

There is nothing in the log indicating an error

The SirusXM Streamer log shows the request as serviced

5:20 PM: Servicing request from '192.168.1.35:34522'...
5:20 PM: Retrieving stream URL for channel 'XM 57 - The Grateful Dead Channel'...
5:20 PM: Retrieving ASX for channel 'XM 57 - The Grateful Dead Channel'...
5:20 PM: Completed request from '192.168.1.35:34522'.
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
shelleyp
Roku Guru

I tried this, and definitely need help.

I am getting a mymedia file and a cannot retrieve media list.

Cannot retrieve media list from the IP address on my mac.

The thing is, I can't stop it, can't use the Roku, can't do anything.

My box is a brick. What do I need to do.
0 Kudos
shelleyp
Roku Guru

"shelleyp" wrote:

Unbricked. I had it set to my Movies folder, and there was something in it that caused the problem.

I created a separate subdirectory Videos, moved a video to it, but neither a video or music channel is showing. I feel like I'm stumbling around in the dark here.
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

"shelleyp" wrote:
"shelleyp" wrote:

Unbricked. I had it set to my Movies folder, and there was something in it that caused the problem.

I created a separate subdirectory Videos, moved a video to it, but neither a video or music channel is showing. I feel like I'm stumbling around in the dark here.

I use Windows, so I'm not sure how much help I will be.

There's no video or roku icon showing on your roku channel? Or are they just showing as empty? Can you access the feed page (http://localhost:8001/feed)? If it shows, but it's blank then check your file paths! Copy and paste them if you can to make sure they are correct.

I know this sounds simple too, but make sure it's a file format that can be played by the roku. No avi, wmv, or protected file formats.
0 Kudos
shelleyp
Roku Guru

"canaws" wrote:
"shelleyp" wrote:
"shelleyp" wrote:

I use Windows, so I'm not sure how much help I will be.

There's no video or roku icon showing on your roku channel? Or are they just showing as empty? Can you access the feed page (http://localhost:8001/feed)? If it shows, but it's blank then check your file paths! Copy and paste them if you can to make sure they are correct.

I know this sounds simple too, but make sure it's a file format that can be played by the roku. No avi, wmv, or protected file formats.

Thanks for quick reply. I'd have responded sooner, but I went mad with playing.

I did manage to unbrick and get it working. Oddly enough, I installed the client software twice and second time, both the video and music channel showed.

I'm watching a video right now, as a matter of fact. This is _very_ nice.

Very!
0 Kudos
renojim

"canaws" wrote:
Report on CacklingAvacado

You guys are supremely awesome!
Anyone care to help me out on the playlist problem? I'm making m3u files with WMP11, but roku tells me that there is no audio to retrieve. What should the filepaths to my mp3s look like?

What does the m3u file look like? It's just a text file, so you could copy and paste it here if you like. For me, I have my music path in config.ini as:
music_dir = F:\Roku\Media\Music

Then in my m3u playlist file I have:
F:\Roku\Media\Music\Artist 1\Album 1\song1.mp3
F:\Roku\Media\Music\Artist 2\Album 1\song3.mp3
etc.

There's nothing special about an m3u file, so you could create one with any text editor. Once you get one to work, you should be able to figure out what WMP11 is doing.

-JT

0 Kudos
renojim

"dellsweig" wrote:
Well I loaded up the latest and greatest crazy named file.

My locally generated stream - from the SirusXM Streamer is not playing

What formats are currently supported??

here is the url

http://192.168.1.98:51710/xm?channel=57&format=asx

I also tried this in m3u format as well

http://192.168.1.98:51710/xm?channel=57&format=m3u

There is nothing in the log indicating an error

The SirusXM Streamer log shows the request as serviced

5:20 PM: Servicing request from '192.168.1.35:34522'...
5:20 PM: Retrieving stream URL for channel 'XM 57 - The Grateful Dead Channel'...
5:20 PM: Retrieving ASX for channel 'XM 57 - The Grateful Dead Channel'...
5:20 PM: Completed request from '192.168.1.35:34522'.

You can't somehow save the m3u file to take a look at it? I believe the SoundBridge has more support for audio streams than the Roku DVP does. As far as I can tell, it only supports mp3 streams. I have been able to find an m3u type stream, http://www.radioparadise.com/musiclinks/rp_128-1.m3u for example, and save it locally. Then, if you look inside that file there are separate streams like http://scfire-ntc-aa10.stream.aol.com:80/stream/1048. The link to the m3u does not work, but the link to the stream does.

I hate to say it, but I don't know if the Roku supports what you are trying to do. You may want to try ask in a separate thread in the general or developer's forum and see if you can get an answer from Roku.

-JT

0 Kudos
shelleyp
Roku Guru

I noticed a couple of things I thought I would post:

I have a video that I ripped for AppleTV that does play, but no sound. I'm going to try Handbrake settings others have mentioned in this thread. If anyone has any quick suggestions, though, I'd appreciate it.

The other two videos I made (from my own recorded video) play beautifully. Better than the AppleTV in fact. I guess we can now say that Roku does better than the AppleTV because I have compared the same video on both.

I was able to get my eMusic to play, but I noticed that I couldn't stop the songs from playing by pressing pause. I also noticed that when I would try to Home out of the mymedia folder (pressing Up or Home), it sometimes wouldn't work while a song was playing. Also, when a song or video wasn't playing, sometimes it would pop back into mymedia without any key presses.

Lastly, the mymedia icon shows up in my channel lineup, but not in My Channels in the Channels store. So, don't know how to remove the channel. And if you close the server while you're in the mymedia channel, you can't get out. You get stuck in the cannot retrieve media list page, and you can't get out. This strikes me as not a good thing.

I imagine that I need to go through this forum thread to find the info I need to avoid these problems. I hope.

I also have a Windows box I think I'll try setting up, too. That's the machine I use for most of my video work anyway.

All in all, this has been one of the funnest (scary beginning aside) new additions I've seen on the Roku, since I got my first Roku box.
0 Kudos