Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Level 21

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Good to know! I don't know if I personally have a need for a video that big, but I may try it just for fun.

-JT
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"Woz" wrote:
I am having an issue with registering MyMedia. I go to the MyMedia Chanel and it tells me to go to the website and enter the activation code provided. I do this and my Roku just sits there. I am assuming that something is meant to happen after I register. If I try to hit Cancel it wont do anything either, so I end up having to reset my Roku.

Any ideas what would cause this?

You should be able to press the Home button to get out of it. The v2.0beta fixes the issue of not being able to cancel.

I don't know why, but sometimes the registration doesn't work. The easiest way around it is to close the server, edit config.ini in the server directory and add a line that reads:
regid = xxxx
where 'xxxx' is the four character code displayed on your TV. Then restart the sever and it should print out "submitting 'http://192.168.1.102:8001' to rendezvous server as xxxx". The channel and the server should sync up at that point.

-JT
0 Kudos
Woz
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

renojim,

Thanks for that, It fixed the issue I was having. I am however having an issue playing MKV videos. I had an AVI file, that I used handbrake to convert to MKV and it wouldnt show up in the folder. I then tried converting it to MP4 and it shows up in the folder.

Is there any reason that it would not pick up the MKV file? I took a look at the file types that Roku can play and MKV is on there.

Thanks again.

Chris
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

You can only play MKV files from a USB device. They (Roku) have said that streaming MKV support will be added, but haven't given any kind of time estimate. I'm not real familiar with MKVs, but I believe it's fairly easy to repackage the streams in an m4v/mp4 container without the need to re-encode if you have some MKVs lying around. Otherwise, you'd be better off to just use m4v/mp4 for now.

-JT
0 Kudos
dnelms
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"renojim" wrote:
You can only play MKV files from a USB device. They (Roku) have said that streaming MKV support will be added, but haven't given any kind of time estimate. I'm not real familiar with MKVs, but I believe it's fairly easy to repackage the streams in an m4v/mp4 container without the need to re-encode if you have some MKVs lying around. Otherwise, you'd be better off to just use m4v/mp4 for now.

-JT


I've tried to find something that would repackage my MKV files (have over 200 of them) with having to re-encode. So IF you or anyone knows of such, please give me a heads up and I'll try it out. I have found, since not being able to find such software, that I am having to take the MKV file and use it as a source in Handbrake and re-encoding it as a .m4v.
0 Kudos
tedmills
Level 7

Any luck with iTunes playlists for Mac?

MyMedia is great, but I wish I could access my iTunes playlists. Any Mac users done this?

I tried to create a folder in my iTunes folder called playlist. I exported an iTunes playlist in .m3u format. It can see the playlist, but if i click on it, it says "Empty Playlist" and "No audio items were retrieved."

In the .m3u file, my paths are the same as the paths in my configuration, so I don't know why it can't see the music.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Running 10.6.8 on a macbook pro.
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"dnelms" wrote:
I've tried to find something that would repackage my MKV files (have over 200 of them) with having to re-encode. So IF you or anyone knows of such, please give me a heads up and I'll try it out. I have found, since not being able to find such software, that I am having to take the MKV file and use it as a source in Handbrake and re-encoding it as a .m4v.

As I've said, I don't have a lot of experience with MKVs, but I have done some experimentation. First, you have to make sure the underlying streams in the MKV are Roku compatible (namely MPEG4/H.264 at 29.97 or 23.976fps and AAC or AC-3 audio). I use MediaInfo to give me info on video files. To extract the streams, or demux, I've used MKVToolnix. There's a Windows GUI for it called MKVextractGUI2. To remux the extracted streams, I use MP4Box. There's all kinds of Windows GUIs for it, but the one I've used is YAMB.

There's probably other ways to do it as well and as you can see there's a few steps involved. I haven't found a one-click solution, but I can't really say I've tried. I've had success using this method in my experiments, but I believe I've also had some failures. I just repackaged a 2GB MKV file into a MP4 in about 5 minutes on my quad-core machine. I was surprised it worked since the video frame rate was 60fps.

A couple of notes:
In my limited experience with MKVs they tend to have AC-3 audio or MP3 audio. MP3 audio isn't supported in a video file and to play AC-3 audio your box has to be set to 5.1 surround mode and you have to have an AC-3 capable TV/receiver. If your MKVs don't have compatible audio streams, you could extract the streams, convert the audio to a compatible format and then remux, but it's probably easier to just go ahead and use HandBrake.

-JT
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Re: Any luck with iTunes playlists for Mac?

"tedmills" wrote:
MyMedia is great, but I wish I could access my iTunes playlists. Any Mac users done this?

I tried to create a folder in my iTunes folder called playlist. I exported an iTunes playlist in .m3u format. It can see the playlist, but if i click on it, it says "Empty Playlist" and "No audio items were retrieved."

In the .m3u file, my paths are the same as the paths in my configuration, so I don't know why it can't see the music.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Running 10.6.8 on a macbook pro.

I have little to no Mac experience and you couldn't pay me to use iTunes, but if the playlist has full paths it should work. Check the my_media_log.txt file in the server directory and it may give information as to why "No audio items were retrieved".

Keep in mind that only MP3 and WMA files are supported.

-JT
0 Kudos
tedmills
Level 7

Re: Any luck with iTunes playlists for Mac?

"renojim" wrote:
I have little to no Mac experience and you couldn't pay me to use iTunes, but if the playlist has full paths it should work. Check the my_media_log.txt file in the server directory and it may give information as to why "No audio items were retrieved".

Keep in mind that only MP3 and WMA files are supported.

-JT


Here's what i could find:

DEBUG:root:rejecting .DS_Store
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.104:8001/m3u?name=Playlists%2Fmills+2011a.m3u&key=music
DEBUG:root:rejecting .DS_Store
WARNING:rootSmiley Tonguehoto directory /Users/Ted/Pictures/iPhoto Library was configured but does not exist
DEBUG:root:rejecting .DS_Store
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.104:8001/m3u?name=Playlists%2Fmills+2011am3u.m3u&key=music
DEBUG:root:rejecting .DS_Store
DEBUG:root:rejecting .DS_Store
DEBUG:root:rejecting .iTunes Preferences.plist


I don't know why the iPhoto directory is even in there, that's not where I placed it.
0 Kudos
renojim
Level 21

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Is that what's in my_media_log.txt after you try to play a playlist? I created a bogus playlist and there were error messages in the log file when I tried to play it.

Since you mentioned the photo_dir doesn't seem to be correct, make sure config.ini in the server directory (the directory with mymedia.py in it) contains what you expect. Is it possible that you have another config.ini somewhere? config.ini is just a text file, so you can edit it with any text editor if something in it doesn't look right.

-JT
0 Kudos