Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
writerguy
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"renojim" wrote:
I've updated the channel so you don't have to go through the side-loading process. Just enter and exit the Channel Store to get the update. If you still want to know how to side-load a channel, just let me know and I'll walk you through the steps.

This isn't the "big" update I've been planning for a while now. It just adds BIF and SRT support (although I think SRT support has been there for a while). For anyone wanting to use either BIFs (thumbnails) or SRTs (subtitles), just name the .bif or .srt file with the same name as the video file. Make sure you have the latest server from here.

-JT

When I click on that "here" link above -- I get a 404 error. If I try to right-click and "save link as," it gives me an empty zip file.

Gary
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Oops! Sorry about that. I fixed the link or here it is again.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
lollavid
Visitor

I just got this up and running on my Roku. I can see my videos/ music/ pics.

My problem is that NONE of my videos will play. It just keeps telling me that no media items were retrieved.

I am trying primarily to play avi files, but there are other formats as well.
0 Kudos
mikebdoss
Roku Guru

"lollavid" wrote:
I just got this up and running on my Roku. I can see my videos/ music/ pics.

My problem is that NONE of my videos will play. It just keeps telling me that no media items were retrieved.

I am trying primarily to play avi files, but there are other formats as well.

Per the Roku website, it only supports the following formats:

Video support: MP4 (H.264), MOV (H.264), MKV (H.264) ASF/WMV (WMV9/VC-1).
Audio support: MP3, AAC, Dolby Digital (MP4, MOV and MKV pass through only), DTS (MKV pass through only).
Image support: JPG, PNG.

AVIs are a container, and usually (in my experience) have a compatibly encoded video, so you just need to do a little converting. You can try Handbrake (popular here, searching in the search box above will give you lots of hits), or my favorite, AVIdemux (some discussion on that too).
0 Kudos

Video support: MP4 (H.264), MOV (H.264), MKV (H.264) ASF/WMV (WMV9/VC-1).

I do not think MyMedia supports WMV ( or at least did not seem to when I last checked).

I keep meaning to look into the code, but have not gotten that far. My use case is a brother-in-law who loves his copy of Windows Movie Maker and all its evil transition effects.

I assume it is just a matter of tweaking the directory searching and building the proper feed xml.

Did I mention I love MyMedia? I originally installed RoxBox (also very nice), but when the demo period expired, I could not find the license cost anywhere without actually signing up (note: I have no objection to paying for software!). Since MyMedia was available as source code (mmmm, python!), I dove right in. Good stuff.
0 Kudos
sourbear
Visitor

"mikebdoss" wrote:
You can try Handbrake (popular here, searching in the search box above will give you lots of hits), or my favorite, AVIdemux (some discussion on that too).

xBrake has been, for me, the most hassle free and the quickest conversion software I've used, having used Handbrake, Freemake, SUPER and AVIdemux. xBrake development has long died but I found the original zip I downloaded and uploaded it at http://www.mediafire.com/file/6s33ncqix30gt9t/xBrake_Alpha_1.0.zip. It works like a charm. No settings to mess with. Just open, choose folder your files you want to convert are in, choose folder to send converted files to, choose 1 or all files and go. When it's done, you should have a converted mp4 file ready to be seen and played via My Media.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I still haven't tried xBrake, but it's on my list (really!).

"stivosaurus" wrote:
I do not think MyMedia supports WMV ( or at least did not seem to when I last checked).

WMV's are supported, but I've had inconsistent results and I'd swear that some videos that played without a problem under one version of the firmware didn't work under a different version. To be fair to Roku, they probably didn't meet the supported video format, but it's odd that they'd work and then not work. I pretty much just convert everything to .m4v and rarely have a problem.

"stivosaurus" wrote:
I assume it is just a matter of tweaking the directory searching and building the proper feed xml.

One of the great things about MyMedia is that there is no "feed xml". Just point it to the proper directories (via config.ini) and you can add or remove media files and it will automatically pick up the changes - no building of any xml required.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
sams
Visitor

hi all,
i have a problem while playing videos thru mymedia.
when i see the log my_media_log,it says DEBUG:root:rejecting ALA.mkv.
but i have no problem with pics and i checked the path for videos too.its correct.
interestiing thing is when i connect my wd hardrive to roku it recognises all my videos ex:ALA.mkv and plays well.

can somebody help.

thanks in adv..
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"sams" wrote:

when i see the log my_media_log,it says DEBUG:root:rejecting ALA.mkv.

MKV isn't a supported file format--that's why you see "rejecting" in the log file. MyMedia scans through the directories you point it at and picks up all of the files it recognizes and the ignores (rejects) the rest. You can use handbrake or some other tool to convert your MKV video to a supported format.
0 Kudos
sams
Visitor

so mymedia wont recognise .mkv files,whereas roku plays .mkv when wd hd is connected to roku directly.
please confirm.And what are the supported formats for mymedia.

sams
0 Kudos