Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Mike,

I'm not a Mac person, so I may be way off base here. We could really use a Mac person to help; it looks like the Mac guide that is referenced in the first post is no longer available.

It looks like the server is not starting. I'm not sure about the Python version. I'm using version 2.6.4. Could you try installing version 2.6.x and see if that works?

Has anyone used Python version 3.x.x?

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
joewalsh
Visitor

Bug Notice / Possible fix for IcesnakeFrostfyre

I was having a similar problem as IcesnakeFrostfyre, it turns out that my problem was because some of the mp3 files didn't have a title in the ID3 tags - this causes the app to error ("can't access the server", "can't find any playable files" (or something like this)).

I removed all of the titles without Title or Artist tags and now the app works great (even with 1000 songs in the same directory).

To el.wubo & all of the others who are helping on this project - THANK YOU. This is an incredible app.
0 Kudos
renojim

That's interesting. I know I've had MP3s without titles in the tags (or without any tag whatsoever) and it didn't cause a problem other than the server didn't return a title for those songs (I've since fixed that in the server to return the file name if there's no title in the tag, but it's not in the latest release). I'll try to see if I can reproduce the problem.

-JT

0 Kudos
joewalsh
Visitor

I'll see if I can reproduce it and give more details. (Was it because the 1st song in the folder didn't have a title in the tag, some crazy character in the tag, etc.)
0 Kudos
joewalsh
Visitor

After some testing, at least on my system (w/ the Avocado build), when I try to open a folder with any mp3 that doesn't have either the Artist or Title tag completed, I'm getting this error:

Server Problem Communications with the server has been lost. [Ok / Abort}

Example:
-------------------------------------------
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "D:\RokuM\Beta\server\web\application.py", line 242, in process
return self.handle()
File "D:\RokuM\Beta\server\web\application.py", line 233, in handle
return self._delegate(fn, self.fvars, args)
File "D:\RokuM\Beta\server\web\application.py", line 412, in _delegate
return handle_class(cls)
File "D:\RokuM\Beta\server\web\application.py", line 387, in handle_class
return tocall(*args)
File "D:\RokuM\Beta\server\rss_server.py", line 809, in GET
return getdoc(feed.key, path, base_dir, range, config, collapse_collections)
.to_xml()
File "D:\RokuM\Beta\server\rss_server.py", line 523, in getdoc
item = file2item(key, fpath, base_dir, config, image_icon)
File "D:\RokuM\Beta\server\rss_server.py", line 152, in file2item
title = call_protected(tag.getTitle, "Error Reading Title")
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'getTitle'

192.168.0.12:44454 - - [05/Jun/2010 13:25:25] "HTTP/1.1 GET /feed" - 500 Interna
l Server Error

-------------------------------------------

When I edit the tags and put anything in them (via file manager), the mp3 shows up and plays fine.

I hope this helps and again - thanks for the great application.
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

You guys are awesome. My quick playlist idea was added to the newest beta. It works great. I didn't realize it was being worked on right now. I checked just because and realized I was two betas behind. Are you guys making new beta announcements in the thread?

Question:
Under settings in ExtemeAvacado there is an option to 'Autoplay music subfolders.' What exactly does that mean?
0 Kudos
renojim

"canaws" wrote:
Are you guys making new beta announcements in the thread?

Yep. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=25955&p=176540&hilit=extremeavocado#p176540

I was actually kind of upset that I've received NO feedback on the latest release. el.wubo hasn't made an appearance in this thread in some time. I don't know if he's too busy with other stuff or has lost interest in this project. I'm not sure how I'll continue on. I could make it a private channel and then I could automatically push out updates to the client, but sometimes I make small changes to the server which would have to be downloaded separately.

-JT

0 Kudos
renojim

"joewalsh" wrote:
After some testing...

Thanks for the testing and report. I'll look into it.

-JT

0 Kudos
renojim

"canaws" wrote:
Question:
Under settings in ExtemeAvacado there is an option to 'Autoplay music subfolders.' What exactly does that mean?

It's leftover from an early version when we were trying to get the "Play all" and "Shuffle all" straightened out. I kind of forget exactly why it was necessary, but it's still functional so I left it in there. Basically, it determines whether or not subdirectories are entered when "Play all" or "Shuffle all" is chosen. For example, if you navigate to a folder that has 3 songs and a couple of sub-folders and you choose "Play all", if 'autoplay' is set to 'yes' the 3 songs will be played along with everything in the sub-folders. If 'autoplay' is set to 'no', only the 3 songs will be played (over and over again). "Shuffle all" would work the same way. You get the same effect with "Play all" and 'autoplay' set to 'no' by choosing one of the 3 songs to play (i.e., choosing a song directly to play has the same effect as setting 'autoplay' to 'no' temporarily - just the 3 songs would be played over and over again).

Like I said, it's leftover and really isn't necessary anymore. I can't image why anyone would want to set it to "No", but since it's still functional I left it there. It may disappear at some point in the future.

-JT

0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

"renojim" wrote:
"canaws" wrote:
Are you guys making new beta announcements in the thread?

Yep. viewtopic.php?f=28&t=25955&p=176540&hilit=extremeavocado#p176540

I was actually kind of upset that I've received NO feedback on the latest release. el.wubo hasn't made an appearance in this thread in some time. I don't know if he's too busy with other stuff or has lost interest in this project. I'm not sure how I'll continue on. I could make it a private channel and then I could automatically push out updates to the client, but sometimes I make small changes to the server which would have to be downloaded separately.

-JT

I usually check on the thread when I see it's moved up top, but I completely missed this announcement. I'll play around with it and let you know if I encounter any weird bugs. I appreciate all the work you're doing on this. I use the channel ALL the time.

If you make it a private channel you'll probably get more users (the developer mode thing is kind of confusing at first and can put some people off), but I'm not sure how you will get everyone to keep the server files up to date. Can you add some kind of initial screen after channel updates that says make sure you are using server number xyz available at mymedia-url? I think I remember the Amazon channel having some kind of initial description/use-agreement page when I added it.
0 Kudos