Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
frazelle09
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Thank you for such a swift reply!!!

Wow.

[config]
music_dir = /home/frazelle09/Music
video_dir = /home/frazelle09/moviesseries
server_ip = 192.168.1.67
roku_ip = ROKU IP ADDRESS
max_folders_before_split = 10
python_path = /usr/bin/python
theme = default
collapse_collections = False
server_port = 8001
photo_dir = /home/frazelle09/Pictures
regid = xxxx

It apparently does begin with [config] which is why i was weirded out by the error when i saw it.

Have a great evening! 🙂
"The earth is one country and mankind its citizens."
............................................Bahá'u'lláh...........................................
"La tierra es un sólo país y la humanidad sus ciudadanos."
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I should have looked at your error log more carefully. These lines:
    file: config.ini, line: 1
'\xef\xbb\xbf[config]\n'
are the clue. It looks like your config.ini isn't a straight ASCII text file but uses UTF-8 encoding. Open it in something like vi and you'll see the extra characters before [config]. Remove them and you should be good to go.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
frazelle09
Visitor

Thanks, renojim. You're probably right. i actually tried to determine the file encoding type of this file and saw that it was utf8 - and saved it anyway. Ug. Another senile moment.

Thanks a lot and i'll report back on the results. Have a wonderful morning! 🙂

Edit: Well, it worked! Thanks renojim. Used Krusader's file edit (F4) function. And have a super morning! 🙂
"The earth is one country and mankind its citizens."
............................................Bahá'u'lláh...........................................
"La tierra es un sólo país y la humanidad sus ciudadanos."
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

Re: My Media - Stream Shows

Got My Media Server up and running. Working great on files I have recorded and converted from ota. Question, is it possible to add a type of plugin or video stream that would take me to something like History Channel or something like that, sorta of like plex has plugins. I know Plex and Playon has all of this stuff already. I am trying to put my personal server together, kinda all in one place.
thanks
0 Kudos
renojim

No, sorry that's not possible. It is an interesting idea. I kind of decided long ago that transcoding, as Plex does at times, isn't something I'm interested in, but being able to easily serve up material that's already in a Roku friendly format might be nice (similar to how you can add an MP3 stream). I usually just create my own channel for things I find on the Internet (like my TPC and NHK channels). Nowhereman covers a lot of these kind of things in his NowhereTV channel.

I often go through HTML pages to extract the MP4 or HLS links and then put them in a quick and dirty channel I've created so that I can watch them on my TV. For example, PBS has lots of videos on its site that are already in a Roku friendly format and with a little work you can get the link to the MP4 file or HLS playlist. I haven't looked at the History Channel's site, but keep in mind that anything using flash won't work unless the flash player is just playing an MP4 file (which isn't uncommon) and you can find the link to that MP4 file.

My MyMedia server runs on a Seagate Dockstar (Pogoplug clone) which isn't very powerful, however it should be plenty powerful to run a Python "plugin" that parses a webpage to extract the video links. I've become quite accomplished in parsing HTML using Brightscript (Roku's language), but I haven't really tried it in Python. It should be easier, but my Python programming skills are rudimentary at best.

You don't say whether you might be up to tackling something like this. I'd have to think about whether or not I'd like to get into it myself. I'm working on a couple of things for my own use that involve parsing webpages, so this would be a good time to try something like this, but I'm pretty close to finishing them in Brightscript, so I'm not sure I want to put the effort into a plugin.

-JT

0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

So, seems that the PlayOn people have released a channel called MyMedia. Any chance of confusion? It's not the same as what we're using/talking about is it?
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
Gilgamesh
Visitor

"dgrace" wrote:
So, seems that the PlayOn people have released a channel called MyMedia. Any chance of confusion? It's not the same as what we're using/talking about is it?

I noticed that as well. I would say that, as with most anything MediaMall has done, they feel they are above being reasonable or following any reasonable modes of conduct.

I'm sure (fairly sure anyway) that no one here has copyrighted the name MyMedia for a Roku channel. Also the senior MyMedia is a private channel so that means that if MediaMall puts a channel in the channel store they figure they do not have to respect anyone else's pre-use of the name.

Of course Roku allowed the name so they share the blame for the technical infringement.

Shady operations always seem to feel they are too good to act in a courteous and reasonable manner and just step on whoever they can.
0 Kudos
kmh
Visitor

btpoole said: is it possible to add a type of plugin or video stream that
would take me to something like History Channel or something like that

renojim said: No ... I usually just create my own channel for things I find
on the Internet

But could you add a feature to the server so that in certain circumstances,
instead of reading the file, the server executes the file and reads the
output? This would be an easy way to let users create their own plugins.

Then if I wanted to play a video file from the internet, I could create a
script which downloads the file with wget, but writes the video data to
standard output instead of to a file, and then mymedia server would read the
video data from the output of the script and send the video data to the
mymedia roku client.

This feature could also be used for transcoding.

The pesky details of internet accesss or transcoding would be
incorporated into the script, so mymedia would not have to deal with this.
That would be the user's responsibility. So the changes to the mymedia
server should be simple.

On linux, mymedia server could check the execute permissions, and execute
instead of read any file with execute permission. I think the script file
should have mp4 extension, because we expect the script to generate mp4
output.

On windows, mymedia server could execute any file with extension mp4.bat,
like foo.mp4.bat
0 Kudos
ALRUI
Streaming Star

Anyone got this working with a NAS drive? In particular the WD MyBook?
0 Kudos
renojim

I've been meaning to try since I have a MyBook Live, but I never seem to get around to it. Basically, if you can get Python on the MyBook it should be no problem.

-JT

0 Kudos