Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimcampbell100
Channel Surfer

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"renojim" wrote:
"jimcampbell100" wrote:
I was actually using the name of my NAS vs the direct IP address as you told me (btw this works for loading the configuration page). When I switched to the IP address, I did see the image, and it did resize when I added that to the end of the url.

Well I actually said to replace the IP address I used in my example with the IP of your NAS. I didn't know it had a name. I guess I should have said "IP address". Either way, it looks PIL is working properly, so now I'm at a loss. I tried replicating your setup and it worked fine. If you have 40 top level directories they should be getting split up into something like "A-F", "G-H", etc. I'm not sure what else to try except maybe to run the server on a computer and see if it makes a difference. One other thing, make sure you reboot your Roku just to make sure there's not something going on with it.

As I said before, this slow navigation thing is tough to track down. I have a directory where I've ripped all my Looney Tunes DVDs into individual cartoons, so there's a few hundred videos each with its own image and I can move from video to video about as quickly as I can push the buttons.

Sorry I can't be more help.
-JT

You're right, that is exactly what you said. It was my fault. I have my network setup so that when I type the name of my NAS it resolves to the correct IP address. That seems to be an issue for some reason.

I'll try the server elsewhere, and also try rebooting the Roku as you suggest.

Thanks anyway for the help!
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All,

Im getting stuck on termianl step for mac

Searching for Imaging
Reading http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/
Best match: Imaging 1.1.7
Downloading http://effbot.org/downloads/Imaging-1.1.7.tar.gz
Processing Imaging-1.1.7.tar.gz
Running Imaging-1.1.7/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-3n-6ud/Imaging-1.1.7/egg-dist-tmp-cVefUF
--- using frameworks at /System/Library/Frameworks
unable to execute gcc: No such file or directory
error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc' failed with exit status 1
localhost:~ mac$
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

I'm not a Mac person, so I can't be sure if what I'm about to say is entirely correct. I think you need to install gcc (which is a compiler). After a quick Google search, the quickest/easiest way to do that may be to install the Mac OS X Developer Tools available at http://developer.apple.com/mac/

Good luck!
-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
umbighouse
Visitor

For video artwork, I've used other programs which will show a thumbnail of the video which appears to be an image of the first frame. Is this possible with MyMedia? If not out of the box, how tough would it be to autocreate a jpg in the video file's folder, naming it the same as the video with a .jpg extension?

REPLY... I suppose anything is possible, but I'd have to wonder how useful it would be to just show the first frame. It's hardly automatic, but I use ffmpeg to create frames every two seconds from the first 30 seconds of the video and then I manually look through them to find the frame I want to use for the video. You do know that naming a JPEG with the same name as the video will get that image to be displayed for the video, right?

It wouldn't be tough to create thumbnails for movies, but I have tons of private, home video content which would be very cumbersome to manually create thumbnails for each video.

OK, I'm getting greedy here, but here's another one...
How about we create a Movies folder (this would be different from Videos, which would be primarily private content). The Movies folder would be actual movies. How tough would it be to setup a "scraper" to reference a site like IMDB.com to pull down poster artwork?

REPLY... Hmm... IMDB has been mentioned before. I'll have to look into what that would take. I don't have all that many movies, so it hasn't been all that interesting an idea, but I have thought about ripping all my DVDs. I don't think a Movies folder would be necessary, but that might not be a bad idea. Depending on how IMDB queries work, a lookup could be done for every video and if there's information returned it would get displayed, otherwise the video would just start playing. That might be a waste to do a lookup when there's not going to be a response, so the Movies folder idea might be better. Like I said, I'll have to look into it.

Please let me know if this interests you- I'd be happy to help test.
0 Kudos
jambalaya
Channel Surfer

"renojim" wrote:
You're the first to report this. I mostly watch videos that are shorter than an hour, but I've never seen this problem. I'll change the chunk size when I polish up v2.0. I'm not sure how that value was picked, but el.wubo may have had a reason or it may have been arbitrary.

JT, when you mentioned that I am the first to report the early-exit-after-30-minutes issue, I revisited the windowless-Python setup since that is unique to my environment. Going back to python.exe (instead of pythonw.exe) resolved the early exit problem. So there is no need to change the chunk size after all (Murphy's Law had kicked in - I was testing the changed chunk size with python.exe so I could see the console window for any messages!).

Too bad there is a code dependency on the windowed version of Python, but since there was already a .vbs launcher provided to hide the window I am going back to that tried-and-true method..

Cheers - again, thanks to all the contributors for a great product.
JB
0 Kudos
mastermesh
Visitor

can't get this thing to work... keep getting Failed to autoconfigure server. You're on your own message.
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=46566&p=359897#p359897 -channel lists/tools
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63553&p=409506#p409506 -fta
http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=64096 -linear channels
0 Kudos
renojim

That message occurs if the server retrieved from the registration process matches what is stored on the box, yet it still can't connect to your server. Make sure the Python server is running when you start the channel. You may also want to remove the channel and add it again to go through the registration process again.

Also, it could be a firewall issue. Make sure port 8001 is open.

-JT

0 Kudos
Kevin108
Visitor

Roku LT with MyMedia running on Linux Mint 11 32-bit.

Not sure what the deal is. No real problems getting through installation or doing the initial configuration. My IP wasn't detected automatically. I have a wireless router with 4 devices on it and a quick glance at my DHCP setup got me straight.

The issue: when I open MyMedia and click on one of the folders of music or video, I get the error:

Server Problems
Communications with the server has been lost.
Ok Abort

Obviously since I've gotten that far, communications are working. Any ideas?
Just trying to get a Roku LT to do a little more than it was designed for.
0 Kudos
renojim

Make sure you can browse to your server, preferably from another machine. Browse to http://localip:8001/feed and then click on "My Music" to make sure your server is operating properly. Of course, replace "localip" with the local IP address of your server. You may also want to check to see if the Python server is spitting out any useful messages and/or if there's anything in my_media_log.txt in the server directory.

-JT

0 Kudos
Kevin108
Visitor

http://192.168.2.2:8001/feed (just posting to make it easier for me to continue troubleshooting) works great, shows everything without issue.

No real surprises from my_media_log.txt Rejecting the AVIs and giving a thumbs up to the MP4s.
Just trying to get a Roku LT to do a little more than it was designed for.
0 Kudos