Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
el_wubo
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"sams" wrote:
so mymedia wont recognise .mkv files,whereas roku plays .mkv when wd hd is connected to roku directly.
please confirm.And what are the supported formats for mymedia.

sams

That's correct. According to the Roku developer's documentation mkv is not a player supported format. It may be it is actually supported but that capability is not documented in their developer documentation thus Mymedia does not support it. JT, any input on this?

The supported media container formats are mp3, wma, m4v, mp4, mov, and wmv -- along with jpg, png, and gif for images. Now, the file being in the correct container format (thus having the right file extension) doesn't guarantee that the file will play. The file must also be encoded with a roku supported codec and with roku supported bitrates. Search this mymedia forum for posts related to handbrake and encoding and you'll see a great deal of information regarding how to get your media into a format that the mymedia channel can play.
0 Kudos
sams
Visitor

thanks for the info.
i converted into mp4 and it worked.
instead of handbrake is there any free software to convert into mp4.
0 Kudos
Gilgamesh
Visitor

"sams" wrote:

Lots! Google search is your friend.

I have tried many and none are really better and most clog up their interface and make it less than obvious how to configure for the Roku and they are no faster than Handbrake in spite of what some claim.

I use Handbrake and I like the fact that it is so flexible and has a very configurable command line option.

Handbrake is not the prettiest but much of the time developers seem to place pretty above function. Also pretty often slows down the interface and makes it hard to use.

Freemake is the closest I have found but its user interface just has too much fluff.
0 Kudos

Ffmpeg is a handy command line tool for video conversion. There is a WinFF version if you need a GUI.
0 Kudos
sourbear
Visitor

"sams" wrote:

The very first post of this very page refers you to one...
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"sams" wrote:
so mymedia wont recognise .mkv files,whereas roku plays .mkv when wd hd is connected to roku directly.
please confirm.And what are the supported formats for mymedia.

.mkv is only supported via the USB channel. They have said it will be supported via streaming, but have not given any kind of timetable.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
standypain
Visitor

"raghu1111" wrote:

BIF files are pretty straight fwd to create. There is nice python script at https://bitbucket.org/bcl/homevideo/src ... makebif.py (part of 'homevideo' project) that uses ffmpeg to create jpegs. I have tried it and FF and REWIND are so much better with these.

This script is truncating long file names when I call it in a batch file, thus giving me errors and/or blank bif's unless I remove all the spaces from the filename. I am calling like this:
C:\python26\python.exe C:\Users\me\Desktop\makebif.py %1
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"standypain" wrote:
"raghu1111" wrote:

BIF files are pretty straight fwd to create. There is nice python script at https://bitbucket.org/bcl/homevideo/src ... makebif.py (part of 'homevideo' project) that uses ffmpeg to create jpegs. I have tried it and FF and REWIND are so much better with these.

This script is truncating long file names when I call it in a batch file, thus giving me errors and/or blank bif's unless I remove all the spaces from the filename. I am calling like this:
C:\python26\python.exe C:\Users\me\Desktop\makebif.py %1

I think I found some of the problem. Try my version: http://wubo.org/static/makebif.py
Also, you'll want to make sure the makebif script gets the video file as a single argument.

C:\python26\python.exe C:\Users\me\Desktop\makebif.py "%1"

Note the added quotation marks.
0 Kudos
sharpedge
Channel Surfer

"sams" wrote:
thanks for the info.
i converted into mp4 and it worked.

Handbrake is free, is there something you don't like about it?
0 Kudos
chaschl
Visitor

I have an iMac Intel version.

I get the following in terminal when I copy and paste or type in the text:

Searching for Imaging
Reading http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/
Best match: Imaging 1.1.7
Downloading http://effbot.org/downloads/Imaging-1.1.7.tar.gz
Processing Imaging-1.1.7.tar.gz
Running Imaging-1.1.7/setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir /tmp/easy_install-tKVkzW/Imaging-1.1.7/egg-dist-tmp-cAXiYV
--- using frameworks at /System/Library/Frameworks
unable to execute gcc-4.2: No such file or directory
error: Setup script exited with error: command 'gcc-4.2' failed with exit status 1

How do I get past the error to install the channel?
0 Kudos