Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jgb2185
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Homeplug simply transmits IP packets across home power lines. We use it so that our PC and Mac on the second floor can have a wired connection.

The DSL modem is itself a wireless router. I disabled its wireless and attached the Linksys because I wanted the control that the Tomato firmware gives me. I wonder now if the Roku got its IP address from the DSL modem. It's late, but (probably) tomorrow I will dig into the DSL modem's configuration and try to disable its DHCP server.

Assuming I can do that, what do I need to do with the Roku to get it to request a new IP address? Power it off and back on?

JGB
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

That sounds like a good plan. Yes, just unplug it for a second and let it reboot.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
jgb2185
Visitor

Good news... the router issue is fixed.

I did the following:

-- Disconnected the Roku from the DSL modem, and connected it to the Linksys (running Tomato)
-- Disabled DHCP on the DSL modem
-- Rebooted the Roku
-- Started mymedia.py on the server
-- Connected to the server using the MyMedia channel on the Roku

I have some .ogg music files to convert to .mp3, but that's a mere detail.

Thanks JT and el.wubo for your excellent assistance.

JGB
0 Kudos
standypain
Visitor

Why can't I see what I'm fast forwarding? I know the Netflix fast forward works this way and shows me what I'm missing. With MyMedia I just get a freeze frame and 3 arrow speed indicators. This is my only problem with it as it works wonderfully.
0 Kudos
renojim

In order to see those thumbnails you have to create them yourself. They're known as trick play mode or BIFs and are downloaded before the video starts to play. They're kind of a pain to create, but someone has posted a Python script that will use ffmpeg to create them. You can find it here, but I haven't tried it myself.

However, the current channel doesn't support them although if you just downloaded the server it does support them. The next update of the channel will include support for BIFs or you can use raghu1111's modifications here. You'd have to side-load the channel yourself.

You can see the exchange between raghu1111 and myself about BIFs on page 84 of this thread.

-JT

0 Kudos
sourbear
Visitor

JT... have you had a chance to check out xBrake?
0 Kudos
renojim

I downloaded it, but I haven't looked at it yet. I really should because I've been ripping a bunch of old Looney Tunes DVDs. I'll try to take a look at it soon.

-JT

0 Kudos
standypain
Visitor

BIF? Python script? Side-loading? Thanks guys. Let me go find my propeller hat now!
0 Kudos
standypain
Visitor

Post by renojim » Thu May 19, 2011 3:34 am
In order to see those thumbnails you have to create them yourself. They're known as trick play mode or BIFs and are downloaded before the video starts to play. They're kind of a pain to create, but someone has posted a Python script that will use ffmpeg to create them. You can find it here, but I haven't tried it myself.

However, the current channel doesn't support them although if you just downloaded the server it does support them. The next update of the channel will include support for BIFs or you can use raghu1111's modifications here. You'd have to side-load the channel yourself.

You can see the exchange between raghu1111 and myself about BIFs on page 84 of this thread.

-JT

Ok So far I have got the bif creation down with the help of that python script. Now to side load the channel I am a bit lost. Do I need publish my own private channel like http://www.playon.tv/devices/roku option #2? If so what am I supposed to upload?
0 Kudos
renojim

I've updated the channel so you don't have to go through the side-loading process. Just enter and exit the Channel Store to get the update. If you still want to know how to side-load a channel, just let me know and I'll walk you through the steps.

This isn't the "big" update I've been planning for a while now. It just adds BIF and SRT support (although I think SRT support has been there for a while). For anyone wanting to use either BIFs (thumbnails) or SRTs (subtitles), just name the .bif or .srt file with the same name as the video file. Make sure you have the latest server from here.

-JT

0 Kudos