Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sourbear
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

JT, have you heard of or used xBrake? That's what I used today and it worked perfectly on all 33 of those NWA videos.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

No I haven't. I may have to look into it. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Do you have a link? A quick search didn't turn up much.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
sourbear
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
No I haven't. I may have to look into it. Thanks for the tip.

Edit: Do you have a link? A quick search didn't turn up much.

-JT

Sorry, I don't. Apparently when I first started using My Media and Handbrake some time last year, I also downloaded xBrake too. Basically it uses the command line to encode but gives you a program type box to select source folder and destination folder.. then it opens the DOS window and you can see it running command line. I guess it automates the command line encoding. Whatever it's doing, it does it much faster than using Handbrake. The guy that made it was hosting it on his wordpress site but that's dead I see.

I've got the original zip file of it if you know of a stable file host.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"writerguy" wrote:

Hope some of that is helpful?

Thanks.

Gary

Gary,

Going on the theory that the latest server version is causing your problem, can you give this version a try?

https://github.com/netguy204/roku_media ... ee48b2507a
0 Kudos
renojim

el.wubo,

The new way of determining unauthorized access doesn't work under Windows. The statement:
if os.path.normpath(song.name) != song.name
has a forward vs. backward slash problem.

And, as I said above, it looks like PIL is now required. Not really a problem, but something that should be noted.

-JT

0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

Got it. I'll fix that when I have reasonable net access again tonight.
0 Kudos
writerguy
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
"writerguy" wrote:

Hope some of that is helpful?

Thanks.

Gary

Gary,

Going on the theory that the latest server version is causing your problem, can you give this version a try?

https://github.com/netguy204/roku_media ... ee48b2507a

HOORAY!!

I just downloaded and set up the above-referenced older server folder(s) -- and now MyMedia appears to be working for me on Roku.

Thanks so much to all of you who helped me struggle through all that. I wish I could say I learned a lot along the way, but honestly I just stumbled along piecing together my VERY LIMITED coding/techie knowledge and following the great suggestions here in this thread as JT and el.wubo's baby-sat me through it.

Now to work on organizing my folders better so that, hopefully, I can find various pieces of music, pictures, etc., when I open MyMedia in Roku!

Gary
0 Kudos
writerguy
Visitor

OK, now that I have MyMedia working via Roku, let me jump right in and ask some obvious questions:

1. Is there a guidebook/handbook/manual/tip sheet or something about how to navigate or create structure to be able to play my music in any organized way?

It seems I'm wading through the menus/folders onscreen with Roku and not getting all my music.

2. Is there such how-to information regarding creating, saving, storing playlists?

3. When I try "shuffle" or "play all" -- does that mean just within the particular album/folder where I'm at in Roku?

Man, there's so much I don't know about using all this that I suspect my questions come off as either completely obvious or completely ignorant. 😄

Thanks for any guidance!

(As I suggested somewhere above in this thread, I really would find a "MyMedia Channel for Dummies" sort of document extremely useful.)

Gary
0 Kudos
Pookla
Visitor

I'm back with an update.

I think mymedia is just slow in general. While the top level scrolling is okay where it is (since there are only 5 folders), my videos with a growing DVD library is brutal.
I took out the .jpgs in my folder and I still find the scrolling slower than I'd like. Netflix, Amazon etc. have much faster scrolling.
However taking out the .jpgs completely, even though they were sized to 300X300 made a huge difference. So something IS going on with PIL.

Now that I don't have .jpgs in my folder, I now get this error.
10.0.1.3:39595 - - [10/May/2011 15:30:14] "HTTP/1.1 GET /media" - 404 Not Found
10.0.1.3:39596 - - [10/May/2011 15:30:14] "HTTP/1.1 GET /media" - 404 Not Found
10.0.1.3:39597 - - [10/May/2011 15:30:15] "HTTP/1.1 GET /media" - 404 Not Found

I'm assuming this is because it can't find the "media" or .jpgs and this is normal.

Another thing that is weird is that the my video, my music and my streams folders all read "retrieving image".

I did end up installing another PIL and it "broke" the top level images. I think the original 117 PIL for python 2.7 actually was a little better. At least for my set-up. However, both versions do play the videos beautifully so this is just a mechanics of browsing and picture issue.

Any ideas on how to fix the image issue and possibly speed up the browsing?

And finally, (Long post I know), would it be possible to figure out a way to tag my videos and then have a search function? I'd love to tag them by genre and year and then be able to search that.
0 Kudos
renojim

"writerguy" wrote:
1. Is there a guidebook/handbook/manual/tip sheet or something about how to navigate or create structure to be able to play my music in any organized way?

No. I suggest organizing your music with a folder for each artist and under that a folder per album. If you just have lots of miscellaneous songs and not complete albums, I'd still create a folder per artist. I do have one folder I call "Miscellaneous" for all the artists that I only have one or two their songs. Just throwing all your music in one big pile is not a good idea.

"writerguy" wrote:
It seems I'm wading through the menus/folders onscreen with Roku and not getting all my music.

I'm not sure what you mean by you're not getting all your music. Keep in mind that only MP3s and WMAs are supported, and there's much better support for MP3s.

"writerguy" wrote:
2. Is there such how-to information regarding creating, saving, storing playlists?

I've used Winamp to create playlists, but they're just simple text files so you could create one with Notepad. You just have to have the full path to the song. So you'd want something like:
C:\Users\Gary\Music\Artist 1\Song 1.mp3
C:\Users\Gary\Music\Different Artist\Some Album\Song.mp3

Just name the file with a .m3u extension (e.g., mellow.m3u) and put it anywhere in your music hierarchy. I believe one person created a "Playlists" folder that contains all his playlists.

You can also create a dynamic playlist within the channel by browsing through the folders, selecting a song, and then "Add to playlist". You'll generally want to pause the music as you do that.

"writerguy" wrote:
3. When I try "shuffle" or "play all" -- does that mean just within the particular album/folder where I'm at in Roku?

In general, it will go into sub-folders. There's a setting that controls whether it stays within the particular folder or goes into sub-folders, but that setting may go away since it probably never gets used. If you start by selecting a particular song, it will only play the songs in that folder in order. If you use "Play All" or "Shuffle All", it will play or shuffle all songs in that folder as well as any sub-folders (unless you changed the setting). One more thing, all the music options will loop indefinitely.

"writerguy" wrote:
Man, there's so much I don't know about using all this that I suspect my questions come off as either completely obvious or completely ignorant. 😄

Thanks for any guidance!

(As I suggested somewhere above in this thread, I really would find a "MyMedia Channel for Dummies" sort of document extremely useful.)

Feel free to ask anything you like. The thought of a wiki has come up, but so far no one's taken the initiative. :wink"

-JT

0 Kudos