Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"herbertbrubaker" wrote:
How are people getting updates with builds higher than 1509?

I can't speak for the others, but one of my boxes is part of a beta program. The one that isn't still has 1509, which should work for you. Are your server and Roku box both connected via wireless?

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos

the roku is connected via ethernet to my router, while my video files are over wireless.
0 Kudos
renojim

Could you possibly reverse it to see what happens?

-JT

0 Kudos
renojim

"greggpet" wrote:
I am having difficulty getting MyMedia to work with my new Roku.
I hope to access video which is on my mac from the MyMedia channel.
On the mac, I had Python 2.3.3 already installed,
I installed additionally, Python 2.7.1
I installed libpng and libjpeg (combo package)
When I attempt to install PIL, and copy and paste the command:
sudo easy_install --find-links http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/ Imaging
into Terminal, I first get the prompt to type my password, after entering my password, then I get:
sudo: easy_install: command not found
I never get to a message that jpeg support is available.
Further attempts only give me this same error message with no possibility of entering a password.
Do you have any suggestions what I might try?
Thank You

Any Mac people out there that could help?

-JT

0 Kudos
vhavle
Visitor

Great work Guys!

I am able to setup my server and also install the channel on My Roku device within no time. Your documentation is really great.

I could able to play Music and watch pictures both simultaneously. This is great feature.

I have problem with playing videos. The channel shows all the video folder structure and file (mp4 and m4v) on my roku device. When I start playing it starts streaming progress bar and stops, no sign of any video. Please help me what could be wrong??? I also checked Roku debug window it show the following:

"play failed: An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected.
Closing video screen"

server log shows the following

DEBUG:root:server issued range query: bytes=24-
DEBUG:root:player issued range request starting at 24
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.2:8001/media?name=RoopaVideo%5Cmunni+badnaam+hue+full+song+dabaang-hKp13yRNOkk-3.mp4&key=video
DEBUG:root:http://192.168.1.2:8001/media?name=RoopaVideo%5CSheela+Ki+Jawani+Songtees+maar+khan-HEW0uXjhEBg-3.mp4&key=video

Also Is it possible to setup server as public IP (somewhere in internet) not local server?

Thanks in Advance.
Vhavle
0 Kudos
renojim

"vhavle" wrote:
I have problem with playing videos. The channel shows all the video folder structure and file (mp4 and m4v) on my roku device. When I start playing it starts streaming progress bar and stops, no sign of any video. Please help me what could be wrong??? I also checked Roku debug window it show the following:

"play failed: An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected.
Closing video screen"

I just love that error message. It has got to be the most useless error message I've ever seen in my life.

Since it looks like you're not using the private channel version, you may be running an out of date version of the server. How are you starting the server?

"vhavle" wrote:
Also Is it possible to setup server as public IP (somewhere in internet) not local server?

Yes, it's possible. You have to make sure the server is sending the public IP to the Roku. You also have to make sure whatever port you're using, 8001 by default, is open. I was playing with this the other day and it looks like, at least in the latest version, it will get the local IP address from the server and use that. There's a setting in the config.ini file that you may have to set: auto_server = false

-JT

0 Kudos
GatorDeb

There's 70 pages here.... could someone tell me what video formats it accepts? Thanks! 🙂
0 Kudos
athirukk
Visitor

Hi,

I am following the instructions from http://rokumm.appspot.com/walkthrough to setup, but I receive the following error when I run "sudo python mymedia.py" command.

warning: this server has not completed rendezvous
http://0.0.0.0:8001/
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "mymedia.py", line 1117, in <module>
app.run()
File "/home/roh/Roku/netguy204-roku_media_server-19c6690/server/web/application.py", line 313, in run
return wsgi.runwsgi(self.wsgifunc(*middleware))
File "/home/roh/Roku/netguy204-roku_media_server-19c6690/server/web/wsgi.py", line 54, in runwsgi
return httpserver.runsimple(func, validip(listget(sys.argv, 1, '')))
File "/home/roh/Roku/netguy204-roku_media_server-19c6690/server/web/httpserver.py", line 146, in runsimple
server.start()
File "/home/roh/Roku/netguy204-roku_media_server-19c6690/server/web/wsgiserver/__init__.py", line 1596, in start
raise socket.error, msg
socket.error: [Errno 98] Address already in use

What am I missing?
0 Kudos
renojim

Is something already using port 8001 on your server?

-JT

0 Kudos
vhavle
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
"vhavle" wrote:

Closing video screen"

I just love that error message. It has got to be the most useless error message I've ever seen in my life.

Since it looks like you're not using the private channel version, you may be running an out of date version of the server. How are you starting the server?

"vhavle" wrote:

Yes, it's possible. You have to make sure the server is sending the public IP to the Roku. You also have to make sure whatever port you're using, 8001 by default, is open. I was playing with this the other day and it looks like, at least in the latest version, it will get the local IP address from the server and use that. There's a setting in the config.ini file that you may have to set: auto_server = false

-JT

Hi renojim,

Thank you very much for your response.

I am starting the server by "springboard_debug.bat" after installing Phyton2.6 and PIL. I am having ROKU in debug mode. Even if I add it as private channel the server should be still running on my local PC right? I tried different versions, Alpha3, Avacado Deft2, Extreme Avacado. Where can I find the latest version of sever files?

Thanks,
Vhavle
0 Kudos