Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

As canaws stated, that's the latest release and is the same as the latest "channel" branch version on github:
https://github.com/netguy204/roku_media_server

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

"canaws" wrote:
"dgrace" wrote:

So, any hint as to where I could get the "latest" and give it a try? What I have now is the (larger) of the extremeavocado zip files, whatever version that is.

The latest version should be available on the channel walkthrough page (#2).

Nice! Being just the server files its no wonder the zip is much smaller. Anyway, tested cover art from embedded art and does indeed work fine. Now, if/when this app is updated it would be nice to be able to have that info.
Is the cmd window remaining open necessary? It appears to be giving second to second status reporting.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"dgrace" wrote:
"canaws" wrote:
"dgrace" wrote:

So, any hint as to where I could get the "latest" and give it a try? What I have now is the (larger) of the extremeavocado zip files, whatever version that is.

The latest version should be available on the channel walkthrough page (#2).

Nice! Being just the server files its no wonder the zip is much smaller. Anyway, tested cover art from embedded art and does indeed work fine. Now, if/when this app is updated it would be nice to be able to have that info.
Is the cmd window remaining open necessary? It appears to be giving second to second status reporting.

If you are running under windows - you can setup the server to run as a service and not need the cmd window opened...

I posted this a couple weeks ago - here is a repeat:

I was able to get mymedia runnig as a windows service.

It is a bit convoluted as services cannot normally run interpreter based programs (bat, perl, python, etc)

You need to download a launcher called srvany.exe from Microsoft

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/137890

Once this is done you would create the MyMedia service as follows

1) open a DOS command window as administrator

2) install the srvany.exe program somewhere - I installed it in C:\systools

3) from the DOS prompt

C:>sc create MyMedia binPath= "C:\systools\srvany.exe" start= auto DisplayName= "MyMedia"

4) start regedit and navigate to Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\MyMedia

5) Right Click on MyMedia in the nav panel and add new key. Name the key "Parameters"

6) open Parameters and right click - add new string value called "Application" and put the value of the full path to the mymedia.bat file. Note - when you install mymedia - dont use the default name when you extract it - that name changes with every release - use something like c:\MyMedia

7) edit the mymedia.bat file in the mymedia install directory to include full paths - here is what mine looks like now

rem Contributed by umbighouse
rem copyright 2010

cd c:\Users\Dan\MyMedia\server
c:\python26\python.exe c:\Users\Dan\MyMedia\server\mymedia.py

now start the service - run -> services.msc - start the MyMedia service.

If all goes well - you should be able to run the config web page http://127.0.0.1:8001
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

"canaws" wrote:

If you are running under windows - you can setup the server to run as a service and not need the cmd window opened...

If all goes well - you should be able to run the config web page http://127.0.0.1:8001

OK, not smoothly but seems to be running now. First thing I encountered was the MS article shows this exe as not for my OS (I'm running XP Home). I had to search the 'net but found it. Your entry at the CMD prompt got me nothing in registry. I had to ALSO place instsrv.exe in the systools folder, and use the string provided by the MS article. Once that was done I had MyMedia in registry services and was able to proceed. The bat file prompted me to register again and I did that, then the browser window opened to configure the media paths. Strange thing now is that the player in the browser returns a 404 error, but the Roku seems to be running fine, with album art too.
Thanks for all of your help today and yesterday. Unless things go bonkers I should be silent for awhile.
FZ
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"dgrace" wrote:
"canaws" wrote:

OK, not smoothly but seems to be running now. First thing I encountered was the MS article shows this exe as not for my OS (I'm running XP Home). I had to search the 'net but found it. Your entry at the CMD prompt got me nothing in registry. I had to ALSO place instsrv.exe in the systools folder, and use the string provided by the MS article. Once that was done I had MyMedia in registry services and was able to proceed. The bat file prompted me to register again and I did that, then the browser window opened to configure the media paths. Strange thing now is that the player in the browser returns a 404 error, but the Roku seems to be running fine, with album art too.
Thanks for all of your help today and yesterday. Unless things go bonkers I should be silent for awhile.

put in the actual IP address of your server instead of localhost - 127.0.0.1 - for example http://192.168.1.X:8001
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

"dgrace" wrote:

put in the actual IP address of your server instead of localhost - 127.0.0.1 - for example http://192.168.1.X:8001

Well, my silence didn't last long. Player stopped playing, roku said the media folders were empty and I came up to check PC and found Hard Windows Error statement on screen which kept popping up. I bailed out and removed the service and am trying to restore back to a manual start. I had to "roll my own" on too much of that process to feel comfortable with it, starting with MS pulling the file from the article to having to use another program to get the service made to finding problems with browsing to server.
FZ
0 Kudos
dgrace
Roku Guru

Well, after everything I did yesterday, ending up with all working again, but today back to NO ALBUM ART. All of the mp3 files have embedded art, along with a jpg for artist in the artist folder (which does display). Any idea why embedded cover art shows up one day and not the next?
FZ
0 Kudos
rraheja
Visitor

Help: Videos keep loading every few seconds

Hi MyMedia gurus,

I have many, many home videos on DVD as well as WMV, MJPG files that I converted using Handbrake with the following settings:

iPad Preset (m4v) with following modifications:
+ Web Optimized
+ No cropping (640x480)
+ Same as source fps
+ Quality constant RF=20
+ Ensured 2ch AAC (faac) audio track only
+ Enabled chapter markers

With the above, I checked that the video bitrate was approx 3000 mbps and 30fps. The Roku would take forever (almost 2+ minutes) to "retrieve", then play for a few seconds; and go back to "loading..." every few seconds. I checked the mymedia server log and it was retrieving the file with at following numbers 64, 144, 244 etc. Interestingly, for all files that showed this problem, it was asking for the file at the exact same numbers 64, 144, 244 etc.

I then read that we should use 29.97 fps and maybe lower bitrate, so I re-encoded the videos with

iPhone4 Preset (m4v) with following modifications:
+ Web Optimized
+ No cropping (640x480)
+ 29.97 fps
+ Target bitrate= 1500
+ Ensured 2ch AAC (faac) audio track only
+ No chapter markers

This time, the loading was faster (1min) and it played for a good few minutes, before reloading; so the problem was still not gone. In addition, I played the older video (which reloaded) and then played the newly encoded video, and now the new video too was loading every few seconds!

Are there any specific M4v / Handbrake settings that Roku and MyMedia needs to play videos fully without reloading every few seconds?
Also, once a video keeps re-loading, do all other videos also do the same?
Do I need to reboot the Roku or the MyMedia server after every such problem?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
m74731
Visitor

I want to put 93.1, khyi radio on my Roku. How do I do this. It is a Radio station locate near Dallas Texas.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

Huh, looks like the rokuum.appspot.com/walkthrough page is giving a 503 error. My server still works fine, but I imagine that someone who tries to sign up will be very confused.

"m74731" wrote:
I want to put 93.1, khyi radio on my Roku. How do I do this. It is a Radio station locate near Dallas Texas.

Thanks.

You have to the url for the station's online stream.

1. Go here while the mymedia server is running
2. Choose Configure My Streams
3. Add a new stream (save when finished)
The stream will then show up under My Steams (or whatever it's called). 😉

How I got the steam url for my local npr station:
1. Download station m3u file from their website
2. Open m3u file with notepad
3. Copy url for the stream I want
0 Kudos