Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
el_wubo
Visitor

Re: Oops - typo!

"drum365" wrote:
So I just got MyMedia running, and browsing around, I notice the "My Streams" item says "Floder" under it. Not "Folder" - "Floder". Might be something to fix on the next update!

Oops. Thanks for pointing it out. It's fixed now!
0 Kudos
drum365
Visitor

Video Playback Problems

Okay, so I just got MyMedia server going on my MacBook. Pictures and Music are working fine, but none of my videos will play. When I "select" them, the screen goes black, with the video title written in a white font. The "retrieving..." bar appears at the bottom of the screen, and "quality" shows four dots. The "retrieving..." bar usually shows a blue block, then it usually expands to a second block or so, and then, *boom* I'm back to "My Videos" again.

I've tried this with about 20 different videos, different lengths, filesizes, aspect ratios, encoders. I saw one poster on this thread say he's using the AppleTV preset in Handbrake. I tried that, and the newly encoded video had the same problem. I also saw a more detailed Handbrake setup here, but when I tried those settings, that didn't work either.

When I try to play a video, the log in OSX's Terminal says:
192.168.1.114:38102 - - [03/Dec/2010 15:49:25] "HTTP/1.1 GET /media" - 200 OK
192.168.1.114:38103 - - [03/Dec/2010 15:49:26] "HTTP/1.1 GET /media" - 200 OK
192.168.1.114:38105 - - [03/Dec/2010 15:49:27] "HTTP/1.1 GET /feed" - 200 OK

or sometimes it says:
192.168.1.114:38083 - - [03/Dec/2010 15:48:41] "HTTP/1.1 GET /media" - 200 OK
192.168.1.114:38084 - - [03/Dec/2010 15:48:42] "HTTP/1.1 GET /media" - 200 OK
192.168.1.114:38085 - - [03/Dec/2010 15:48:42] "HTTP/1.1 GET /media" - 206 Partial Content
192.168.1.114:38088 - - [03/Dec/2010 15:48:43] "HTTP/1.1 GET /feed" - 200 OK

I haven't been able to notice any difference between the ones that say "206 Partial Content" and the ones that don't. Neither plays.

Any ideas what's wrong?
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

My first (and only) guess is that it's something to do with the encoding. The 'partial content' log statements are normal -- it just means that the Roku didn't ask for all of the data at once. That said, it sounds like you're doing everything right wrt. to the encoding so I'm not sure what to suggest. Anyone else?
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Try this video. If that works, then it must be your encoding. If it doesn't work, then we'll have to do some further investigating.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
Y2skippy
Visitor

I am in the same boat as drum365 - I tried all the same Handbrake settings and get the same results. But I setup my server on Windows 7 x64. I just tried the test video that JT suggested and it failed quicker than the other videos I had been trying. Any ideas what to try next?
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Y2skippy, can you play music files? Can you browse to http://localhost:8001/feed and then click on "My Videos" and play or save the video to a new location?

One thing that I don't think is noted anywhere is that none of your configured folders can be a root directory. You can look at my_media_log.txt in the server directory and see if there are any error messages in there.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
umbighouse
Visitor

Just got a new computer and was excited to follow el wubo's new instrux for the private channel. I'm also getting the "server has not completed rendezvous". I got a prompt to disable the firewall, which I allowed, but to no avail.

I also tried the instrux to generate a new reg code and retry.

At this point, it looks like my python server is running, but when i try to go to "http://localhost:8001/configure" I get a "not found" text on the page.

Any help is appreciated.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"umbighouse" wrote:
Just got a new computer and was excited to follow el wubo's new instrux for the private channel. I'm also getting the "server has not completed rendezvous". I got a prompt to disable the firewall, which I allowed, but to no avail.

I also tried the instrux to generate a new reg code and retry.

At this point, it looks like my python server is running, but when i try to go to "http://localhost:8001/configure" I get a "not found" text on the page.

Any help is appreciated.

Try going to http://127.0.0.1:8001/configure
0 Kudos
umbighouse
Visitor

Same result- message "not found"
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"umbighouse" wrote:
Same result- message "not found"

I think your firewall may still actually be blocking the connection. I'm not sure how one does this in your OS (windows, right?) but you need to allow incoming connections to port 8001.

You could also take a look at the logs in server/my_media_log.txt for clues... but I'm guessing you won't see much there.
0 Kudos