Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"bobspencer123" wrote:
... my media server is on a headless sheevaplug.

Very cool! I just got a Seagate Dockstar for less than $30. It took me a couple of days to get everything setup, but it works just great as a myMedia server.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
MojaMike

That is really cool news, Bob! I need to try this out. I have just replaced the power supply on my sheevaplug, and was reading this thread wondering if I could get MyMedia to work on it. Any pointers or other stuff I should watch out for?
Roku2 XD (3050X), HDMI out to HDTV
0 Kudos
JC77
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
"JC77" wrote:
But them Mymedia gives me an error message saying that it cannot find the RSS feed.

The server IP address must be setup incorrectly. Did you reload the channel? I would think not if the springboard script won't execute. Check the settings in the channel and make sure the server IP address is correct.

Are you comfortable with the command line? If so, open a command prompt window and change directories to wherever the springboard.py file is. Run this command (assuming C:\Python26 is where Python is installed):
C:\Python26\python springboard.py
Nothing really should have changed as far starting the springboard script. Depending on how you installed Python, you may be able to double-click on springboard.py in an Explorer window.

One more thing to try is what I said in the post a couple up about browsing to the server from your PC. Also, make sure you have the latest version of the client/channel as I also mentioned in that post.

-JT

Springboard does not load when I run it from the command prompt. An old Dos window opens up, and disappears quickly.

The strange thing, when I re-installed everything and was running off the original files, MyMedia was able to see the video files and folders. Wouldn't play them, of course, but it read them. When I replaced those 3 files, it stopped working.

What is the latest version of the client/channel? Maybe I don't have that.
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

"JC77" wrote:

What is the latest version of the client/channel? Maybe I don't have that.

Latest (dev) release is Extreme Avacado
http://github.com/netguy204/roku_media_server/zipball/ExtremeAvocado
0 Kudos
JC77
Visitor

Ahhhh, that was it. Works as well as can be expected now (videos squished, but I'll mess around with Handbrake settings to see if I can get it any better). Thank you 🙂
0 Kudos
markhood
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
I should create a new github repository, but until I sit down and really learn git I'm not really comfortable using it. It seems to cause me more problems than it solves. -JT

Ha, I've been using git off and on for a couple of years and I'm still not comfortable with it 🙂 There are lots of different ways to do each thing and it's often not clear which way is going to get you into the most trouble. The repo is essentially a content-addressable file system and so you find yourself dealing with inscrutable hashes when reverting changes and performing other manipulations on the repo.

But it's decentralized development model is lightyears better than using the monolithic central repositories of SVN and (shudder) CVS. Anybody can clone a repo and work from it locally without dealing with locks and conflicts. Branches are cheap and fast. Merges can be handled at each level of the development stream and eventually propagate upstream in a logical manner, so it supports the free software development process extremely well. Just wish it had a better interface.
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

"JC77" wrote:
Ahhhh, that was it. Works as well as can be expected now (videos squished, but I'll mess around with Handbrake settings to see if I can get it any better). Thank you 🙂

I'm watching on a tiny tv (13"), but my videos look okay. I encoded everything with Handbrake, too. I think the only settings I changed from Regular>Normal was to set the FPS to 29.97, the audio mixdown to automatic (don't remember why), and check web optimized.
0 Kudos
renojim

This is so strange. I think every video I've tried that I encoded with HandBrake is squished and others are saying theirs are not. I wonder what I'm doing wrong. :?:

-JT

0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

"renojim" wrote:
This is so strange. I think every video I've tried that I encoded with HandBrake is squished and others are saying theirs are not. I wonder what I'm doing wrong. :?:

-JT

Do other videos work okay? Maybe it's not the Handbrake encoding. I have some mp4s that I downloaded from youtube (savevid and the like) and a couple of wmv vids and they work okay for me too.
0 Kudos
renojim

It's even stranger than that. I'm working on a channel for someone and he has provided me two MP4s for examples. As far as I know he encoded them both the same (not using HandBrake) and one is squished and one isn't. As far as wmv's go, I have an old sample I used to use for testing. Way back when it played fine, then a few firmware updates ago it stopped working altogether. I don't use wmv's and have no problem re-encoding everything, so I don't really care, but it's still strange.

-JT

0 Kudos