Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
buaboo
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Here's the set... I don't know enough about linux to change this stuff, so the directory for python isn't in here nor is the opt and ipkg stuff...

/ # set
HOME='/'
IFS='
'
OLDPWD='/usr/sbin'
OPTIND='1'
PATH='/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin'
PPID='495'
PS1='\w \$ '
PS2='> '
PS4='+ '
PWD='/'
SHELL='/bin/sh'
TERM='vt102'
USER='root'
/ #
/ #

Here's the python2.6 manual execution

/opt/bin # ./python2.6
Python 2.6.4 (r264:75706, Oct 27 2009, 08:54:50)
[GCC 3.4.4 (release) (CodeSourcery ARM 2005q3-2)] on linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>>
>>> print "hello world"
hello world
>>>
>>>
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

New Release!!!!

At long last, ExtremeAvocado is available in the usual place. Lots of new stuff!

New features:
- Media content is automatically refreshed as you move back up the hierarchy, finish a video, or leave the audio Springboard screen (thanks to myplanet for the suggestion and to el.wubo for the idea of using asynchronous transfers)
- New settings option to turn off photo file name overlays (thanks to Saqqara for the suggestion)
- Better bookkeeping and status display of video progress (thanks to cmcnulty for the suggestion)
- New settings option to automatically move to the first video in a folder that has not been viewed (or is marked as in progress)
- Three new video folder posters for playing all videos in a folder (thanks to Saqqara and witmar for the suggestion):
=== Play All - plays all videos in the folder then stops (the user can abort in the middle)
=== Play Unwatched - plays all videos in the folder not marked as "Watched"
=== Loop All - plays all videos in the folder repeatedly until the user exits a video
- Quick playlists: Create a music playlist on the fly. The playlist is lost when you leave the channel (thanks to canaws for the suggestion)
- Added the release date for mp3's to the audio Springboard screen
- Full support for the Radio Paradise stream. Artist/album/title, etc. is now displayed. If you're an RP fan, check out the Radio Paradise private channel.
- Minimal, and I do mean minimal, support for HTTP Live Streaming

Changes:
- The status of play/pause is remembered when you leave and reenter the audio Springboard screen. Previously, if a song was paused and a new song was chosen by leaving the Springboard screen the new song would start playing immediately. It's a little bit easier to create a "Quick playlist" if you pause the audio first since you don't have the many events that are generated by song startup making the UI sluggish. It can still be tedious to create a "quick" playlist.
- Compilation albums that include tracks from multiple artists are sorted by track number, not by artist in the folder display.
- The Springboard screen for myStreams has been cleaned up.
- Removed "/feed" from the server ip address. It should be removed automatically from the configuration and should not be added back onto the end of the server ip address.

Fixes:
- Fixed (I hope) a problem that randomly caused the audio component to lock up the whole box.
- Fixed the breadcrumb colors for the "High contrast" theme (thanks to witmar for the colors)

Notes:
- The video play all options will buffer between videos so it is not a seamless transition from video to video. This is a limitation of the hardware and video decoders in general. If you want your video clips to play back seamlessly, you'll have to use a video editing program.
- Quick playlists can be a little tedious to construct. I didn't really want to add a separate "build playlist" mode and I don't think it would be all that much less tedious if I did.

Notes about HLS:
For those able to create the .m3u8 playlist file and the .ts segments for HLS, .m3u8 files will show up under myVideos. You can use the myMedia server to serve up the segments by putting the appropriate url in the .m3u8 file. This is there mostly to support my own testing, but if you think you have an HLS solution you're ready to test, contact me for details on what needs to go in the .m3u8 file or check the post a page or so back where I give the vlc command I use and you should be able to figure it out from that.

I think that's about it. Download, enjoy, and post your comments here!
-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
wbmurray
Visitor

Figured out the issue I was having using a DNS323 as the media server. I removed the Optware Python installations and instead used FFP Python 2.5.2 and the Segmentation Faults disappeared. Now I can finally begin playing with My Media!

Thanks Buaboo and renojim for your suggestions and encouragement.
0 Kudos
renojim

That's great! I'm glad you got it figured out.

-JT

0 Kudos

just want to say I got this working on a gentoo linux box without too much trouble. The only issue I had was that I was/am unable to browse localhost:8001 from any browser on my network but the roku seems to find the server regardless.

Couple of points suggestions:

Would be great (maybe there is already and I didn't see it) way to run this without the gui (tk?) popup as a daemon. The main reason is so I don't have the little gray box floating on my desktop screen. At least for gentoo it would be nice to have init script to run this:

Would also love to have FLAC support (maybe the roku itself can't support this?). Most of my collection is in FLAC and it's a pain and sorta a shame to have to convert these to mp3's.

Lastly, thanks for the hardwork and cool project.
0 Kudos
renojim

You'll want to replace 'localhost' with your server's ip to browse from a different machine (e.g., http://192.168.1.100:8001).

The box only supports MP3 and WMA, and this channel has limited support for wma. I don't think they're likely to add support for other codecs, but you never know. It might be possible to have the server do on-the-fly transcoding to an mp3 stream, but someone else is going to have to tackle that.

You should be able to launch rss_server.py on the server directly, like any other Python file. Somewhere in this thread I think there's scripts for starting it automatically on various Linux configurations.

Thanks.
-JT

0 Kudos
buaboo
Visitor

Not knowing enough about linux, here's the script I run to autostart mymedia. It gives me an error but it still runs

/opt/bin/python2.6 /share/Public/media/rss_server.py >> /share/Public/out.txt 2>&1 &

"renojim" wrote:
You'll want to replace 'localhost' with your server's ip to browse from a different machine (e.g., http://192.168.1.100:8001).

The box only supports MP3 and WMA, and this channel has limited support for wma. I don't think they're likely to add support for other codecs, but you never know. It might be possible to have the server do on-the-fly transcoding to an mp3 stream, but someone else is going to have to tackle that.

You should be able to launch rss_server.py on the server directly, like any other Python file. Somewhere in this thread I think there's scripts for starting it automatically on various Linux configurations.

Thanks.
-JT
0 Kudos
mkolby
Visitor

any way to get stations from shoutcast in the My Streams section? I've found a few mp3 streams my wife would like to have that are from her home country. I put the urls in the streams page, but the roku just sits there and says buffering when I try and play them on the roku. an example url is : http://kmd.hdcast.net:9060
Plays just fine in VLC. I noticed if I try and click on the link on my feeds page (or just the link above) on my PC it takes me to a stats page for the station with shoutcast, but if I put in /listen.pls after the url it will open up the stream directly, just not on the roku. This was working when you first introduced the streaming option. Did something on shoutcasts end change, or your end?
0 Kudos
canaws
Binge Watcher

"mkolby" wrote:
any way to get stations from shoutcast in the My Streams section? I've found a few mp3 streams my wife would like to have that are from her home country. I put the urls in the streams page, but the roku just sits there and says buffering when I try and play them on the roku. an example url is : http://kmd.hdcast.net:9060
Plays just fine in VLC. I noticed if I try and click on the link on my feeds page (or just the link above) on my PC it takes me to a stats page for the station with shoutcast, but if I put in /listen.pls after the url it will open up the stream directly, just not on the roku. This was working when you first introduced the streaming option. Did something on shoutcasts end change, or your end?

I just tested the url you gave (http://kmd.hdcast.net:9060). It works fine for me. It loaded right away. Maybe try reseting your box. If I remember correctly, other users have said that helped with with buffering issues before.
0 Kudos
mkolby
Visitor

"canaws" wrote:
"mkolby" wrote:

I just tested the url you gave (http://kmd.hdcast.net:9060). It works fine for me. It loaded right away. Maybe try reseting your box. If I remember correctly, other users have said that helped with with buffering issues before.

Thanks for trying it out. I still can't get it working. Could be my firmware version. I'll just have to wait and see if others experience the same.
0 Kudos