Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"canaws" wrote:

The WMP m3u gives the file path as follows:
The Noisettes\Wild Young Hearts (2009)\07 Atticus.mp3 aka artist\album\track

I was saving them in my main music directory (on level with the artist's folders), but I was getting the no audio retrieved message. The org for my music is C:\Users\Me\Music\Artist\Album\Track. Any idea where I should be saving them instead? I like not having to rename file paths. 😃

Thanks!

It sounds like you were putting them in the right place, but just to be sure they should go in the directory above "The Noisettes"

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
renojim

"Gunslinger2" wrote:
Just a quick question, is there any chance of making a playlist/folder directory in the config dedicated specifically for playlist i.e.
music_dir = x:\Music\
video_dir = x:\Movies
Playlist _dir = x:\Playlist

....for organizational purposes & ease of selecting a playlist for things such as moods etc. etc. ?

You could accomplish something similar by just creating a Playlist directory under x:\Music, i.e., X:\Music\Playlists. You'll just have to make sure your playlists use absolute paths.

"Gunslinger2" wrote:
*edit* I've also just noticed that a .m3u playlist I currently created is not finding a song that I have listed in my test playlist.

Current playlist:

E:\Music\The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band\The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will The Circle Be Unbroken.mp3
E:\Music\Roy Orbison\Roy Orbison - You Got It.mp3
E:\Music\Dicky Lee\Dicky Lee - Patches.mp3
E:\Music\Freddy Weller\Freddy Weller - Room 269.mp3
E:\Music\Jace Everett\Jace Everett - Bad Things.mp3
E:\Music\Jerry Lee Lewis\Jerry Lee Lewis - What's Made Milwaukee Famous.mp3

The song Will The Circle Be Unbroken does not show up nor play, all the other songs do.

Can you navigate to the song and select it and get it to play?

-JT

0 Kudos
renojim

"canaws" wrote:
I made a couple of test files. It looks like WMP does not put the full path of the files only the relative path. They only go as far back as the artist's folder. I corrected it to add the full paths and they worked fine.

If you want WMP to create an m3u file with full paths, load your songs/playlist in WMP and then click on the "playlist" in "Now Playing" and save it as an "M3U Playlist".

-JT

0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"canaws" wrote:

My Media browser page...
The readme won't show: My browser says that everything is done loading, but the page itself still had "loading readme..." on it. Does the file exist? (I'm using Firefox 3.6)

It will be fixed in the next release. Thanks for spotting that. I moved some stuff around and didn't update the links appropriately.
0 Kudos

"Gunslinger2" wrote:
*edit* I've also just noticed that a .m3u playlist I currently created is not finding a song that I have listed in my test playlist.

Current playlist:

E:\Music\The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band\The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will The Circle Be Unbroken.mp3

The song Will The Circle Be Unbroken does not show up nor play, all the other songs do.
Can you navigate to the song and select it and get it to play?

-JT

Through the Roku itself yes,
but by using :

http://localhost:8001/static/player.html

no. I tried using the browser to navigate and play several songs & none would play.

From the log:
DEBUG:root:serving request for E:\Music\The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band\The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will The Circle Be Unbroken.mp3
DEBUG:root:guessing mimetype of audio/mpeg for E:\Music\The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band\The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will The Circle Be Unbroken.mp3. filesize is 5507192
DEBUG:root:serving E:\Music\The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band\The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Will The Circle Be Unbroken.mp3
DEBUG:root:server issued range query: bytes=0-1024

All of these songs [copied from .m3u file]:

E:\Music\Alan O'day\Alan O'day - Undercover Angel.mp3
E:\Music\Billy Crash Craddock\Billy Crash Craddock - Rub It In.mp3
E:\Music\Billy Ocean\Billy Ocean - Caribbean Queen.mp3
E:\Music\Bobby Bare & Lacy J Dalton\Bobby Bare & Lacy J Dalton - It's A Dirty Job.mp3
E:\Music\Brewer And Shipley\Brewer And Shipley - One Toke Over The Line.mp3

Are in in the test .m3u playlist file I've created here "E:\Music\00Playlist\test1.m3u" and play perfectly o.k. when I run the file on the Roku.
0 Kudos
renojim

Gunslinger2,

I'm a little confused. On the Roku, can you navigate to the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band song and get it to play?

-JT

0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"renojim" wrote:
"dellsweig" wrote:
Well I loaded up the latest and greatest crazy named file.

My locally generated stream - from the SirusXM Streamer is not playing

What formats are currently supported??

here is the url

http://192.168.1.98:51710/xm?channel=57&format=asx

I also tried this in m3u format as well

http://192.168.1.98:51710/xm?channel=57&format=m3u

There is nothing in the log indicating an error

The SirusXM Streamer log shows the request as serviced

5:20 PM: Servicing request from '192.168.1.35:34522'...
5:20 PM: Retrieving stream URL for channel 'XM 57 - The Grateful Dead Channel'...
5:20 PM: Retrieving ASX for channel 'XM 57 - The Grateful Dead Channel'...
5:20 PM: Completed request from '192.168.1.35:34522'.

You can't somehow save the m3u file to take a look at it? I believe the SoundBridge has more support for audio streams than the Roku DVP does. As far as I can tell, it only supports mp3 streams. I have been able to find an m3u type stream, http://www.radioparadise.com/musiclinks/rp_128-1.m3u for example, and save it locally. Then, if you look inside that file there are separate streams like http://scfire-ntc-aa10.stream.aol.com:80/stream/1048. The link to the m3u does not work, but the link to the stream does.

I hate to say it, but I don't know if the Roku supports what you are trying to do. You may want to try ask in a separate thread in the general or developer's forum and see if you can get an answer from Roku.

-JT

JT

I saved the playlist in m3u format and it simply contains the URL of the stream I am trying to play

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:0,xm?channel=57&format=asx
http://192.168.1.98:51710/xm?channel=57&format=asx

Both the playlist and the url play fin in media player on my PC as launched from a browser..

I guess the format is just not supported......
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos

"renojim" wrote:
Gunslinger2,

I'm a little confused. On the Roku, can you navigate to the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band song and get it to play?

-JT

Apologies for the confusing post. Yes on the Roku I can navigate to the song & play it. I didn't know if you meant navigate to the song from the web browser or by actually using the Roku so I tried to explain both. On the roku the song play's but trying to navigate to the song through the web browser(google chrome) the song doesn't play.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

"Gunslinger2" wrote:
"renojim" wrote:
Gunslinger2,

-JT

Apologies for the confusing post. Yes on the Roku I can navigate to the song & play it. I didn't know if you meant navigate to the song from the web browser or by actually using the Roku so I tried to explain both. On the roku the song play's but trying to navigate to the song through the web browser(google chrome) the song doesn't play.

Hey, thanks for testing that out. You're the first I've heard from that's tried the new web browser player (other than me.) I had issues in chrome also and I didn't dig further because I just assumed that it was my fluky configuration. Firefox 3.5 has worked great for me. Can you give that a try to see if it's a browser difference or something deeper? I appreciate it.

Also, I've never tried navigating to a playlist using the web player. Is that what you tried exclusively or have you tried to play songs in folders as well?

Thanks for trying this out!
0 Kudos

Hey, thanks for testing that out. You're the first I've heard from that's tried the new web browser player (other than me.) I had issues in chrome also and I didn't dig further because I just assumed that it was my fluky configuration. Firefox 3.5 has worked great for me. Can you give that a try to see if it's a browser difference or something deeper? I appreciate it.

Also, I've never tried navigating to a playlist using the web player. Is that what you tried exclusively or have you tried to play songs in folders as well?

Thanks for trying this out!

I've tried both, playing songs & my playlist.m3u file.

I have Google Chrome 4.1.249.1036 & Firefox 3.6 installed with Quicktime Plugin 7.6.5 on both.

On Chrome when I browse to the player, the Play button is missing & none of the songs will play.
On FireFox the songs will play but the .m3u playlist won't.

On a side note I have 5,717 files(.mp3) / 690 folders in E:\Music, takes an awful long time to load all of this to test :shock: Smiley LOL
0 Kudos