Roku Developer Program

Developers and content creators—a complete solution for growing an audience directly.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

I posted a while back about a client-side set-up feature (this would enable deployment as a private channel and would no longer require developer-mode). Well, today I accidentally discovered that client-side set-up is already possible. Here is what I did.

(1) When I installed from Springboard, I intentionally entered my server IP incorrectly. (XXX.XXX.XXX.101 instead of XXX.XXX.XXX.100).

(2) When I started the Channel I received an error message and a was given the option of manually entering the correct server IP.

(3) It still didn't work yet. When I pointed my browser to localhost:8001, I noticed that the server settings still incorporated the XXX.XXX.XXX.101.

(4) Given that not understanding what the hell I am doing never stopped me from messing around, I manually edited the server/config file to reflect the correct server IP.

(5) Rebooted my computer. Ran the server. Restarted the channel. And everything works.

The point is that this channel almost as is can be deployed as a private channel, with the client pointing to a standard default server IP. It doesn't matter whether the server IP is correct, because you can manually edit the settings directly on the Roku. I thought I'd throw this out there and let those smarter than me figure out what to do with it. Thoughts?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

You're right. We're holding out just a little longer so that we can make sure the server install is just as easy. We'll have the private channel install option soon.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"el.wubo" wrote:
You're right. We're holding out just a little longer so that we can make sure the server install is just as easy. We'll have the private channel install option soon.

Photo viewing too ? Smiley Wink
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

el.wubo: I installed the newest my media today, and all is working well. On the main roku screen when I am on MyMedia channel it says my media, but below that it says play music from local network. Should it say play media from your local network. I just thought i would let you know Anyways all is working, and i can't wait for photo playback! Keep up the good work bud!

-Ash
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Symbolic links?

On OS X I tried using an alias to a media folder I didn't want to move into my designated MyMedia folder. It doesn't show up in the Roku client interface. Would a symbolic link work? (I'm not a CLI guy so I'm asking before figuring out how to do it.)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

Hi,
Is there a known issues thread? Maybe its there and I don't see it..

Anyway, I thought I had seen an error where once you start playing and if you move to another folder, once the song is done, it will pick the next song from your active folder versus the original folder. I didn't know if this was suppose to be fixed or not..

thx..
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: Symbolic links?

"hammerpocket" wrote:
On OS X I tried using an alias to a media folder I didn't want to move into my designated MyMedia folder. It doesn't show up in the Roku client interface. Would a symbolic link work? (I'm not a CLI guy so I'm asking before figuring out how to do it.)


I use symlinks on Linux for that and it works great. Any idea what's different about aliases?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"buaboo" wrote:
Hi,
Is there a known issues thread? Maybe its there and I don't see it..

Anyway, I thought I had seen an error where once you start playing and if you move to another folder, once the song is done, it will pick the next song from your active folder versus the original folder. I didn't know if this was suppose to be fixed or not..

thx..


It's been mentioned and we intend to fix it. The github has a issue reporting system and this forum is always a good place to report bugs.

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"dellsweig" wrote:
"el.wubo" wrote:
You're right. We're holding out just a little longer so that we can make sure the server install is just as easy. We'll have the private channel install option soon.

Photo viewing too ? Smiley Wink


Yes. Photo viewing is a planned feature. We will get there!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"el.wubo" wrote:
"dellsweig" wrote:
"el.wubo" wrote:
You're right. We're holding out just a little longer so that we can make sure the server install is just as easy. We'll have the private channel install option soon.

Photo viewing too ? Smiley Wink


Yes. Photo viewing is a planned feature. We will get there!


Just keeping you on your toes Smiley Happy

Words cannot express how much I (and everyone out here) appreciate this work
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos