Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hebertj0194
Visitor

Re: My Music-Stream your local media collection to your Roku DVP

I know there was at least one person in here who was able to get the Python server running on a mac. Could the steps to do this please be detailed out so for those of us running OSX can partake in this? Would be really helpful.

How does the channel handle subfolders? Or does it? Such as.../Volume/Music/Artist/Album. Can it handle that? Or does all music need to be in one folder, /Volume/Music?

Thanks for the help and information. Good work going on here.
0 Kudos
scrager
Visitor

The channel acts like a file browser. You are first presented with a list of directories and files in your root "media" folder. Click on a file to play it. Click on a folder to see the contents of that folder.

There are some path length limitations: probably more in the number of characters more than the actual path depth, but I am not certain on that.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

scrager:

Have you observed the path length problem dellsweig reported? I haven't been able to reproduce it and any other observations would be very helpful.
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
scrager:

Have you observed the path length problem dellsweig reported? I haven't been able to reproduce it and any other observations would be very helpful.

Some of my path names are quite long and contain dates and text. The mp3's in the destingions are long names as well with numerics (dates) and text.

As you already know (elWubo) I can copy one of my deeply nested folders up to the top level (Media Files) and it plays fine.
Going where the wind don't blow so strange
0 Kudos
scrager
Visitor

I have not tried to reproduce. I am only speculating as to the issue.

I did a little reverse engineering on your channel and it looks like when you request a folder, you pass the entire path to the server: C:\...

1) that path is going over the http url length limit
2) that path has some funky characters that are not being properly url encoded
3) the path has no funky character and the url length limit isn't reached, but the python server is hitting a limitation that is less than the url length limit

I'd recommend that dellsweig send you the full path to a file that doesn't work so that you can set up the same in your environment for testing. He can do this without any roku changes. If on windows, browse to the mp3 he's trying to play or folder he's trying to open, copy the "address" and send it to you. You could use that to recreate the same thing on your PC.
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"scrager" wrote:
I have not tried to reproduce. I am only speculating as to the issue.

I did a little reverse engineering on your channel and it looks like when you request a folder, you pass the entire path to the server: C:\...

1) that path is going over the http url length limit
2) that path has some funky characters that are not being properly url encoded
3) the path has no funky character and the url length limit isn't reached, but the python server is hitting a limitation that is less than the url length limit

I'd recommend that dellsweig send you the full path to a file that doesn't work so that you can set up the same in your environment for testing. He can do this without any roku changes. If on windows, browse to the mp3 he's trying to play or folder he's trying to open, copy the "address" and send it to you. You could use that to recreate the same thing on your PC.

This does not play:

K:\Media Files\Grateful Dead\Live Dead Shows\1972\Grateful Dead Live Amsterdam Concertgebouw 5.10.72\gd72-05-10d1t01_vbr.mp3

This plays just fine

K:\Media Files\test\gd72-05-10d1t01_vbr.mp3
0 Kudos
umbighouse
Visitor

How about this one-
K:\Media Files\t.e.s.t.1\gd72-05-10d1t01_vbr.mp3

How does that play?
0 Kudos
dellsweig
Visitor

"umbighouse" wrote:
How about this one-
K:\Media Files\t.e.s.t.1\gd72-05-10d1t01_vbr.mp3

How does that play?

I will try that when I get home later

edit: are you thinking the server tried to resolve the dotted name into a file association??

The music files in the nested directories displayed fine on the TV - just did not play
0 Kudos
umbighouse
Visitor

Yep- I'm wondering about the dots in the path (and I threw in a number just for good measure!). If it fails, you can strip the number to see if it makes a difference.
0 Kudos
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

"dellsweig" wrote:

This does not play:

K:\Media Files\Grateful Dead\Live Dead Shows\1972\Grateful Dead Live Amsterdam Concertgebouw 5.10.72\gd72-05-10d1t01_vbr.mp3

With the exception of the drive letter, I recreated that path exactly and it plays for me. Of course I have a different mp3 with that name, but that shouldn't matter.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos