Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
calicommando
Visitor

Re: My Media - Your Music and Video on the Roku DVP

"el.wubo" wrote:
"calicommando" wrote:

Is there any chance of making the icons to the left and right of the highlighted icon show the artist as well? does that make sense?

I'm pretty limited by what the SDK let's me do visually with that screen. What you suggested would be useful and I'll see if it's technically feasible

I may be way off and you may be sick of hearing from me, but it seems like it would be a similar thing to the show listing in Revision3 for instance.

EDIT: I just realized that it doesn't show any info there either. They just have their show titles integrated into the icons.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

Did you get the latest version from the usual place?

http://github.com/netguy204/roku_media_server

Can you make doubly sure that you stopped the old server? If you're using springboard click "stop server" but just to make sure press alt+ctrl+delete and find and kill "python" under the processes tab.

Also, can you make sure you started the new server found in the new folder you extracted (if you extracted the zip somewhere else.) You can verify that you're running the right version by opening rss_server.py and searching for "pivots" -- if that word is in the file you've got the right version.

"calicommando" wrote:
"el.wubo" wrote:
New update: Better navigation for large collections

Whenever a screen would normally display more than 10 artists or albums the screen is instead split into alphabetical ranges. This should make drilling down to specific artists much easier for those of you with large collections.

The split point of 10 is arbitrary (but works well for me) and is configurable in springboard. Just set "max_folders_before_split" to whatever value works for you. If you don't ever want splitting to occur, set the it to -1.

The software treats max_folders_before_split as a suggestion. It will do its best to honor your request but sometimes an even split isn't possible.

Those of you with large collections please let me know how this works in practice. Thanks!

I don't notice a difference. I installed and relaunched. But I'm not seeing the alphabetical ranges.
0 Kudos
calicommando
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
Did you get the latest version from the usual place?

http://github.com/netguy204/roku_media_server

Can you make doubly sure that you stopped the old server? If you're using springboard click "stop server" but just to make sure press alt+ctrl+delete and find and kill "python" under the processes tab.

Also, can you make sure you started the new server found in the new folder you extracted (if you extracted the zip somewhere else.) You can verify that you're running the right version by opening rss_server.py and searching for "pivots" -- if that word is in the file you've got the right version.

"calicommando" wrote:
"el.wubo" wrote:
New update: Better navigation for large collections

Whenever a screen would normally display more than 10 artists or albums the screen is instead split into alphabetical ranges. This should make drilling down to specific artists much easier for those of you with large collections.

The split point of 10 is arbitrary (but works well for me) and is configurable in springboard. Just set "max_folders_before_split" to whatever value works for you. If you don't ever want splitting to occur, set the it to -1.

The software treats max_folders_before_split as a suggestion. It will do its best to honor your request but sometimes an even split isn't possible.

Those of you with large collections please let me know how this works in practice. Thanks!

I don't notice a difference. I installed and relaunched. But I'm not seeing the alphabetical ranges.

Ok, killing the processes fixed the problem. I had about 6 python processes running in that list.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

calicommando:

Hmm. That's odd. How do you normally start the server?
0 Kudos
calicommando
Visitor

"el.wubo" wrote:
calicommando:

Hmm. That's odd. How do you normally start the server?

I double click the springboard.vbs
0 Kudos
dougrb
Visitor

That github site is not the most intuitive to use. It doesn't seem like the zip download of everything has all the up-to-date files. I had to view the source of two python files and copy/paste over what I already had.
0 Kudos
calicommando
Visitor

I feel like you could be getting beat with me, but at the same time, you might want the feedback. Or you might be getting beat with me and want feedback from someone who understands a little better what is going on. So if you want me to shut up, tell me.

BUT. I decided I liked it better when it didn't break up the artists by alphabetical categories, so I tried to revert by setting the max-folders-before-split to "-1". I ended all python processes, installed client, and launched server, but the a-b folders are still showing up. Am I missing something?
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

calicommando:

Bug reports make the world go round. I wish I wrote perfect code... but alas. Thank you for letting me know.

You found a real bug. I wasn't honoring that configuration variable the way I should have been. It's fixed and in the latest update.

dougrb:

There are two places you can download the zip and that may be what's confusing. The latest and greatest is always available by clicking the Download Source link in the top right. Here's a direct link as well:

http://github.com/netguy204/roku_media_ ... ves/master

The "Downloads" button below that has all of the versions that I've labeled as being "releases." Since we're currently progressing rather quickly I'm only marking what I consider major feature advances that are well tested as releases. I'd prefer that everyone grab the latest source using the link provided above instead of using the releases because bug reports from the very latest code are always more useful.

Sorry about the confusion. Hopefully this clears things up a bit.

EDIT: To make things clearer I've removed the release download area. It'll come back when new updates aren't coming out so quickly.
0 Kudos
calicommando
Visitor

That fixed it, but where did my "311" go? Haha. I guess somehow the #s got left out.
0 Kudos
el_wubo
Visitor

Wow. Ooops. I guess the paint is still wet. I've rolled back this update for now so I can rethink the algorithm and get it right for numbers and special characters also.

If you want to track my progress you can follow the "partition" branch on github but I recommend everyone stick with the master branch for now.

The latest release no longer includes splitting large collections into letter ranges. I'll post something here when that feature is back in the main release.

"calicommando" wrote:
That fixed it, but where did my "311" go? Haha. I guess somehow the #s got left out.
0 Kudos