Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
judithraj
Visitor

Metrics/ Reporting on Views

Hi,
Does Roku offer any kind of reporting/ metrics pertinent to a channel on a monthly basis? Or, how are channel publishers today tracking: how many views a channel & the corresponding vids have had?
Thanks for your help!
Judith
0 Kudos
21 REPLIES 21
OddScott
Roku Guru

Re: Metrics/ Reporting on Views

From looking at the network traffic generated by Roku players, I'm pretty sure the Roku tracks some aspects of channel use, not sure if they are watching things down to the individual stream level. As far as I know, Roku does not share this information with the channel owners. Most channel owners/developers implement their own tracking system, doing a GET or POST to a logging URL. This can also be done with Google Analytics if you want to easily generate some spiffy graphs and charts.
www.InstantTvChannel.com - 717-441-4386 - Build a Roku SDK channel in 15 minutes! - Easy Direct Publisher to SDK upgrades!
0 Kudos
judithraj
Visitor

Thank you for your feedback! Is there an easy way for one to identify Roku usage from a vid server metrics? Are there any unique identifiers for a vid accessed via Roku?
0 Kudos
OddScott
Roku Guru

Perhaps the User-Agent header? Here's a couple of examples, the numeric strings are the player firmware version:

Roku/DVP-3.1 (013.01E01011A)
Roku/DVP-4.8 (024.08E01178A)
www.InstantTvChannel.com - 717-441-4386 - Build a Roku SDK channel in 15 minutes! - Easy Direct Publisher to SDK upgrades!
0 Kudos
toddfletcher
Visitor

Can you provide a sample of the code needed to make that POST or GET? I have dig down to the VideoScreen script where the index is returned every 30 second, but I would like to capture that information on my server.

Thanks!
-Todd Fletcher
Crazy Horse Productions llc / Creative Designer Lines W, llc
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

This might be of value to you:

Google Analytics for Roku Developers

- Joel
0 Kudos
zm3sichi
Visitor

"OddScott" wrote:
From looking at the network traffic generated by Roku players, I'm pretty sure the Roku tracks some aspects of channel use, not sure if they are watching things down to the individual stream level. As far as I know, Roku does not share this information with the channel owners. Most channel owners/developers implement their own tracking system, doing a GET or POST to a logging URL. This can also be done with Google Analytics if you want to easily generate some spiffy graphs and charts.

I understand the benefits this kind of data might provide content providers (I actually do this kind of data collection for a living) but, as an individual consumer, I'd be very concerned with the "right to privacy" aspect of it if individual streams are being tracked and linked to a specific account holder or Roku serial #. I don't ever "log in" to Google/YouTube for searching/viewing, for that very reason. Yes, I know they can track activity on the WAN IP but, thankfully, that changes every so often, as the network grows.

Roku***** Engineers/Moderators, can you confirm/deny that the device(s) and/or software are/aren't doing this kind of tracking? Honest question... hopefully, an honest answer. 🙂 I'll worry about what the other content providers (Netflix/Amazon, etc.) do, later.

Thanks much.
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

I'm not too concerned with this as I know the NSA/DHS/FBI all track every packet going across the internet 24/7.
0 Kudos
zm3sichi
Visitor

"destruk" wrote:
I'm not too concerned with this as I know the NSA/DHS/FBI all track every packet going across the internet 24/7.

I'm not as concerned with them... I think they have much bigger fish to fry than li'l ol' me. 🙂 Although "state/local" LE might be a bit of concern. And, besides, I'm not talking about anything that might raise any red flags with any of their scanners/filters. 😮

I'm thinking more of things like private marketing agencies, financial institutions (i.e. banks, credit reporting and the like), potential employers or business customers, etc. etc., all of whom would pay a TON-O-CASH for that data gold mine and the chance to do "tailored, direct marketing" to an "individual," or make financial/credit/employment decisions based on what that individual chooses to view/not view. The next time you go into your Supermarket and swipe your "frequent shopper/member" card to buy your groceries and such at a discount, just remember how that discount is paid for, and where all that data are going... And now it's got your P.I.I. attached to it. :shock:
0 Kudos
destruk
Binge Watcher

But the credit agencies already sell your information, so what more harm can be done? Your employer also sells your information too. The only way to truly be off the grid is to not live in a modern society.
http://redtape.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/0 ... -data?lite

Just do a google search and you'll find thousands of stories and verified articles about how this all works.
0 Kudos