Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
apivase
Visitor

Meta attribute "PlayStart" doesn't work properly?

I am always using the meta attribute "PlayStart" to start the playback from last bookmarked position. It was working great. But from a couple days ago after the firmware updates, it doesn't work anymore. Is it a new bug? or is there an alternative way for this functionality? Thanks

XJ
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Meta attribute "PlayStart" doesn't work properly?

Could you provide a few more details about what you're experiencing? Maybe provide an example of the metadata you're using?
I haven't experienced any change in the behavior of PlayStart since the update.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
apivase
Visitor

Thanks for the reply. The following is an example of a video meta for the videoScreen. The video playback is working well, but not start from the position specified by playstart (always from beginning). Any ideas? Btw, I am testing on a Roku2 HD.

ishd: false
streamformat: mp4
length: 2706
streamurls: <Component: roArray>
streamqualities: <Component: roArray>
streambitrates: <Component: roArray>
url: ""
playstart: 50
title: ""
hdbranded: true

"TheEndless" wrote:
Could you provide a few more details about what you're experiencing? Maybe provide an example of the metadata you're using?
0 Kudos
apivase
Visitor

OK, finally figured it out. Just for a reference if somebody has similar issue.

I am using the registry to save the last playback position automatically when user stops playing in the middle of the video. When user continues the same video next time, the playback position will be fetched from the registry. I was using function "val()" to convert the position from string (from registry) to integer and then passing the value to video meta "playstart" attribute. Apparently, val() function returns a float value but not intelligently integer even though the string was saved from an integer. But the wired thing is that it was working without any problem before! However, after updated to the latest firmware, the playstart with a float value cannot be recognized by the videoPlayer. After I convert the float value to integer using additional int() function, it gets back to work immediately.

I am not sure why it was working before, but it is not working with the new firmware anymore.

"apivase" wrote:
Thanks for the reply. The following is an example of a video meta for the videoScreen. The video playback is working well, but not start from the position specified by playstart (always from beginning). Any ideas? Btw, I am testing on a Roku2 HD.

ishd: false
streamformat: mp4
length: 2706
streamurls: <Component: roArray>
streamqualities: <Component: roArray>
streambitrates: <Component: roArray>
url: ""
playstart: 50
title: ""
hdbranded: true

"TheEndless" wrote:
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Hi, can you tell me in which firmware release you noticed the change in behavior, and which hardware platform?

- Joel
0 Kudos