Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kbenson
Visitor

Maximum channel size

Continued from General Forum:
"TheEndless" wrote:
"kbenson" wrote:
I believe we actually ran into a problem installing/side-loading KidPaint when we ballooned over 500k during development, but that may have been a case of premature optimization (we may have noticed it and assumed it was a problem before it actually was). If we can actually use 2MB, that's a LARGE difference for us.

I know my Sirius channel is about 850k, because I actually draw my own poster screen on an image canvas, so I have to have my own copy of all of the UI elements (HD and SD) in my package. Maybe we should continue this conversation over in the developer forum...

I found some old threads mentioning the limit (just search for 500k). In one renojim mentioned that he loaded a channel that was larger than 500k. Roku said they should at at or below (but it was ambiguous as to whether this is forced). I guess the question is whether those are pre or post zip sizes?

Okay, I just tested by adding a 500k random contents file to a test I was installing, and got this when trying to install:

"Warning: Application exceeds maximum recommended size (563538 > 524288)."

But the channel did install (side-load, at least). That seems to point towards some higher limit (if there is one), and a lower soft limit.
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
renojim
Community Streaming Expert

Re: Maximum channel size

I don't think any limit is enforced. I know I've loaded channels that were over 1 Meg (even today). I believe when the SDK first came out the maximum recommended channel size was 2 Meg. Later it changed to 500k. I've been going out of my way to try to keep my new channels small. Video Poker is around 200k.

-JT
Roku Community Streaming Expert

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution."
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Kudo.

I am not a Roku employee.
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: Maximum channel size

My experience is that when you sideload a channel larger than 500k, you will see a warning, but the channel will still install successfully. If you try to sideload a channel larger than 2meg, installation will fail. It is good practice to minimize the size of your channels as much as possible.
0 Kudos