Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BradC
Channel Surfer

Re: Max channel size in mb? 750k? 2mb? 50mb?

"RokuMarkn" wrote:
it's impossible to run out of channel storage space.

I do understand what you are saying about the available load-at-runtime functionality making storage take on a different meaning.

...And I know this is apples and other kind of apples, but I did have to delete a bunch of channels to stop getting this message when trying to compile on my Roku 3.

♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Brad, can you comment on this part?
"Komag" wrote:

"BradC" wrote:
I have an upcoming sidescroller game kuglo with a ton of music, fx, and gfx that's around 4 megs, and again, a lot of work goes into keeping this file size to make sure users don't get boned by installing my channel... (compression...)...

I'm aware of compressing images, and mine are mostly tiny, but what about music and sfx?
For sfx, are you using something other than 44.1khz, 16bit mono? Are you just keeping the sounds very short/brief? I tried 22050hz 8bit mono files, 1/4 the size, and they played and sounded fine, but I've read I'm asking for trouble if I deviate from 44.1khz, 16bit mono.
For music, I've been using Audacity to compress original files to WMA 44100hz, 64kbps with very good results and relatively small files, but still I have over 20mb of tracks - what are you doing to get your whole game under 4mb especially regarding music files?
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

Audio that is mono is significantly smaller of course, with no real noticeable difference (this point is certainly arguable based on artistic perspective)

My music tracks are looping so they are fairly short without sounding short, most are under a minute. I've got most at 48kbs, but a couple compressed to 32 and still sounded good, and one only went to 64 before I could tell. About 100-200K per song. I have one thats still 800k that I haven't optimized yet.

fx and music are still a big majority of filesize of course. I wish we could use other bitrates for samples for fx, that could save a lot. I do keep fx as short as I can, and will generally pick a smaller file when deciding between two samples that are otherwise comparable.

Really though, if the official roku view is that you don't need to optimize, none of this matters much it's just my own perspective and I guess it comes down to personal preference.
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

So I just got this message on the Development Application Installer page:
Warning: Application size prevents it from working on Roku 1 players (3215348 > 2097152).

What Roku 1 is it talking about? Talking about a 2mb limit there?
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

Wait... It looks like your game is 3mb? I thought it was 20?

you can ignore that, they don't publish for roku1 anymore anyway.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

I'm just testing with a couple of the sound files at this point.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"Komag" wrote:
What Roku 1 is it talking about? Talking about a 2mb limit there?

The Roku 1, in this case, are the legacy Rokus running 3.x firmware.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"BradC" wrote:
"RokuMarkn" wrote:
it's impossible to run out of channel storage space.

I do understand what you are saying about the available load-at-runtime functionality making storage take on a different meaning.

...And I know this is apples and other kind of apples, but I did have to delete a bunch of channels to stop getting this message when trying to compile on my Roku 3.

I wonder what happened in your case?

One theory is that the dev.installer does not flush anything from the LRU cache to make space.
0 Kudos
BradC
Channel Surfer

I dunno but it's crazy annoying.

The only way I know of to free up space so I can compile is to uninstall stuff, which of course takes the channels off all the rokus on my account.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"BradC" wrote:
I dunno but it's crazy annoying.
The only way I know of to free up space so I can compile is to uninstall stuff, which of course takes the channels off all the rokus on my account.

Idea: pick ONE big channel you know. How do you know is big - i don't know*, maybe by observing which ones have % progress shown on install. Install that channel - or if installed, launch it - to make sure is in the cache. Then delete it and you should have space for dev.installer, perhaps?

(*) hey, Roku* - how about showing the bundle sizes in the "hidden screen" list of channels?
0 Kudos