Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jackhand
Visitor

Re: Mask an image (show only part of an image)?

So if I don't have to use bitmap and regions to see part of the image, then perhaps I can can simply load the remote image normally using the poster node.  Perhaps I do not have to save the extenal image to the temp folder if using the ClippingRect method. I'll try and get back to this thread.

thanks!
0 Kudos
jackhand
Visitor

This worked for me! Thanks @necrotek!

Where does it say what the max height and width are? I've used images slightly bigger than what you described and the images appear. However, at some point the images get too big and the poster does not successfully load the image. So I'd like to know if allowed dimensions are slightly more. Or they are different for different versions of Roku.
0 Kudos
jackhand
Visitor

I cannot find the image max width/height dimension of "2048" anywhere in the documentation:
https://sdkdocs.roku.com/dosearchsite.action?queryString=2048&startIndex=0&where=sdkdoc

Where is 2048 referenced?
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"jackhand" wrote:
I cannot find the image max width/height dimension of "2048" anywhere in the documentation:https' target='_blank'>https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/roBitmap
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
jackhand
Visitor

But is the same 2048x2048 limit on roBitmap also on the Poster node? 
The reason I ask is because I seem to be able to load images into a poster node that are greater than 2048x2048. Do poster nodes have the same 2048x2048 limit?

(On a totally unrelated note, it is curious why the roBitmap page doesn't come up as a search result when I do a search in the developer documentation site for the term "2048" but it does come up when I search for "2048x2048".)
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"jackhand" wrote:
But is the same 2048x2048 limit on roBitmap also on the Poster node? 
The reason I ask is because I seem to be able to load images into a poster node that are greater than 2048x2048. Do poster nodes have the same 2048x2048 limit?
(On a totally unrelated note, it is curious why the roBitmap page doesn't come up as a search result when I do a search in the developer documentation site for the term "2048" but it does come up when I search for "2048x2048".)

"Seems" well, it either is or it isn't. If you can load something bigger, then the roBitmap docs don't apply. Again , I don't know RSG.
It sure seems like an easy question for Roku* to answer. 
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
jackhand
Visitor

How do we ask Roku*?
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"jackhand" wrote:
How do we ask Roku*?

Hope that RokuSomeone reads this.
You might want to get in the habit of not waiting for Roku to answer something, if you can at all figure it out yourself. it will save you time.
 In this case, can't you just load some increasingly bigger graphics, figure out at what size they fail and set your own standard?
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
jackhand
Visitor

Yes, I can do that. However, I worry the limit is there for under powered Roku devices. 

A slightly larger image loads using my Roku 4, but what about a Roku stick or a TV with built in Roku?  I'm afraid that an image will load in one Roku device but not load in some others.  2048 may be the minimum size that will load for all Roku devices. If there is a new number for posters, then I will update the code to allow for larger images.
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

"jackhand" wrote:
A slightly larger image loads using my Roku 4, but what about a Roku stick or a TV with built in Roku?  

Most of the discussions here about which models a dev needs to cover all models usually pick about 3-4 Roku models to develop on, That's the safe way to do it.  Roku is notoriously tight-lipped about hardware on the forums so the only safe way is to figure it yourself. At this point I would start a new thread with the specific question - what is the max graphic size in RSG?
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos