Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bbefilms
Visitor

Marmalade dev for Roku

I'm interested in using Marmalade; this seems to be a practical way to a better looking interface and get low level access (I want to use OpenGL for an educational app). With Apple possibly opening up AppleTV with some kind of support for the app store, it would be great to use the same code base from that to create a Roku Channel, which Marmalade Juice apparently does.

Does anyone have any experience in getting a marmalade app through approval to the channel store, or is this the same old rigmarole where it's impossible to get a response from Roku unless you're a major player.
Thanks
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Marmalade dev for Roku

I think you'd need to contact partners[at]roku.com or developer[at]roku.com for answers to that.
It's probably worth noting that, with the exception of the Roku 3, I don't think any of the current generation players support OpenGL anymore. If that's true, you'd be limiting your audience significantly.

EDIT: source
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
bbefilms
Visitor

Thanks very much for the info, I wasn't aware the platform mostly doesn't support OpenGL. Unfortunately, partners[at]roku.com apparently points to /dev/null; has anyone even gotten an acknowledgment from mailing there?

From the post you pointed to:
"OpenGL support was removed (since it wasn't popular on the XD)"

Trying to figure out who OpenGL wasn't popular with - developers or the public? Can't be developers since pretty much no one had access to it.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Not certain that this is accurate - doing a bit of testing, it looks like Open GL is present on original Roku2 LT XD XS, but not on next gen Roku2 LT / HD series. I believe it was left out for performance reasons, not for popularity.

Partners [at] roku.com gets a massive amount of valid email and also spam, so it is possible your message was accidentally missed, suggest you resend.

- Joel
0 Kudos
bbefilms
Visitor

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Partners [at] roku.com gets a massive amount of valid email and also spam, so it is possible your message was accidentally missed, suggest you resend.l

Joel, if Partners [at] roku.com gets a massive amount of email, why not set up an autoresponder to say:
"Thank you for your interest, we'll evaluate and get back to you"
Currently you get nothing at all.

Would like to know though whether getting my roku "blessed" for sideloading Marmalade app testing then submitting the app is as difficult as it is getting the NDK out of you guys (which is functionally impossible except for an established games house or content provider like Hulu).

Thanks
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Not certain that this is accurate - doing a bit of testing, it looks like Open GL is present on original Roku2 LT XD XS, but not on next gen Roku2 LT / HD series. I believe it was left out for performance reasons, not for popularity.

I guess you meant to say "Not certain that this is entirely accurate" by pointing some 2012 models that already did not support OpenGL - good catch!

I think the reason for being left out is simple(-er): switch to a different CPU/architecture, where either the hardware is missing or Broadcom libraries do not include it. If i am not mistaken, all OpenGL players (2400, 3xxx) are BCM­28xx based, whereas 2450, 2500 and 27xx are BCM­72xx. I haven't had luck finding more info on the BCM families, unfortunately.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

"bbefilms" wrote:
Would like to know though whether getting my roku "blessed" for sideloading Marmalade app testing then submitting the app is as difficult as it is getting the NDK out of you guys (which is functionally impossible except for an established games house or content provider like Hulu).

It should be easier.

I'm not finding a link to the agreement you need to fill out for Marmalade development on our website or on MadewithMarmalade.com, so here it is:

http://wwwimg.roku.com/static/developer/DeveloperAgreementForMarmalade.pdf

The other missing piece is who you email that document after you fill it out. I would suggest emailing developer [at] roku [dot] com as that address has very low traffic and goes to the relevant people.

- Joel
0 Kudos
bbefilms
Visitor

Thanks Joel; Robert dealt with the paperwork really quickly.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"RokuJoel" wrote:
"bbefilms" wrote:

It should be easier.

I'm not finding a link to the agreement you need to fill out for Marmalade development on our website or on MadewithMarmalade.com, so here it is:

http://wwwimg.roku.com/static/developer/DeveloperAgreementForMarmalade.pdf

The other missing piece is who you email that document after you fill it out. I would suggest emailing developer [at] roku [dot] com as that address has very low traffic and goes to the relevant people.

- Joel

FYI, here's the page on the website with links to the documents... http://www.roku.com/developer-marmalade
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos