Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: MarkupGrid Item Metadata with fixedLayout="true"

I'm curious about the 4. Are you really only wanting to shift the items by 4 pixels?

As for the Type Mismatch, that would suggest that X on the item is invalid/not set.

With that said, I was more thinking that you'd shift the whole grid over, not the individual items (i.e., change m.guideGrid.translation).
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
agale
Visitor

The X value is the column index, not number of pixels. I know it's a valid value because it properly evaluates the "if (m.guideGrid.content.getChild(count).X = 4)" statement. I can also loop through the data set and print out the X values using this code:

if (m.guideGrid.content.getChild(index).X = 4) then
count=0
while (m.guideGrid.content.getChild(count) <> invalid)
print stri(m.guideGrid.content.getChild(count).X)
count++
end while
endif

All of the printed values are what I expect and integers. The error only occurs when I try to modify the value (I also tried incrementing by 1 to make sure it wasn't a "less than 0 value" error).

I don't think translation would work because I want the grid to remain in the same spot on the screen. I tried using m.guideGrid.animateToItem but I think it's only for rows because it did nothing.

One other issue: Have you ever seen an itemFocused Observer randomly start getting called twice? I only set this once in init() and I'm losing my mind trying to figure out what is going on.
    m.guideGrid.ObserveField("itemFocused", "onFocusChanged")
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"agale" wrote:
The X value is the column index, not number of pixels.

Of course it is.. d'oh! :oops:

"agale" wrote:
One other issue: Have you ever seen an itemFocused Observer randomly start getting called twice? I only set this once in init() and I'm losing my mind trying to figure out what is going on.

Could it be an orphaned or second instance of the observer? Have you tried adding a "stop" to the init function to see if it's being called more than once?
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
agale
Visitor

I added a stop at the end of init() and it is only being called once. I also added one in onFocusChanged() and it is definitely being called twice. Looking at the variables I am unable to see any reference to an Observer. Executing "print m.guideGrid" only prints out the fields and their values.

Would an orphaned observer persist through multiple re-exports and device reboots? I've completely removed the channel and re-run but saw the same behavior.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"agale" wrote:
Would an orphaned observer persist through multiple re-exports and device reboots? I've completely removed the channel and re-run but saw the same behavior.

No, definitely not. The only time I've seen this happen is when I either inadvertently registered the observer twice (e.g., in a content onChange event), or when I had multiple instances of the observer, so it was being called twice, but on different objects. I'd search your code for an observeField that you might have forgotten about.
0 Kudos
agale
Visitor

I am 100% positive that I am only setting the Observer once. That's the only Observer I set in the whole program. The only other event listener is in my GuideItem interface for the content onChange event, but all of those events trigger before the itemFocused Observer is even set.

The only other clue I have is that when the grid first gains focus, onFocusChanged() is only called once. After that, focusing on a new element generates two calls to onFocusChanged().

I'm including all of my code below because I'm all out of ideas. If you get a chance to copy it over and run it I would be very interested in your results.

And thank you so much for your help so far.

main.brs

sub Main()
showChannelSGScreen()
end sub

sub showChannelSGScreen()
screen = CreateObject("roSGScreen")
m.port = CreateObject("roMessagePort")
screen.setMessagePort(m.port)
scene = screen.CreateScene("GridGuideScene")
screen.show()

while(true)
msg = wait(0, m.port)
msgType = type(msg)
if msgType = "roSGScreenEvent"
if msg.isScreenClosed() then return
end if
end while
end sub

GridGuideScene.brs

sub init()
m.guideGrid = m.top.findNode("GuideGrid")
m.guideGrid.horizFocusAnimationStyle = "floatingFocus"
m.guideGrid.vertFocusAnimationStyle = "floatingFocus"
m.guideGrid.content = getGuideGridData()
m.guideGrid.SetFocus(true)
End sub

function getGuideGridData() as object
data = CreateObject("roSGNode", "ContentNode")

count=0
for i = 0 to 1 'Rows'
for j = 0 to 4 'Cols'
count++

if (count<>10) then
dataItem = data.CreateChild("GuideItemData")
dataItem.labelText = "Guide item" + stri(count)

dataItem.X = j
dataItem.Y = i
dataItem.W = 1
dataItem.H = 1

if (count=9) then
dataItem.W = 2
endif

endif

end for
end for
return data
end function

function onFocusChanged() as void
print "Focus on item: " + stri(m.guideGrid.itemFocused)
'stop'
end function

function onKeyEvent(key as String, press as Boolean) as Boolean
print "onKeyEvent: " + key
result = false

return result
end function

GridGuideScene.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<component name="GridGuideScene" extends="Scene" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="https://devtools.web.roku.com/schema/RokuSceneGraph.xsd">

<script type="text/brightscript" uri="pkg:/components/GridGuideScene.brs" />

<children>

<MarkupGrid
id="GuideGrid"
itemSize="[390,80]"
itemComponentName="GuideItem"
fixedLayout="true"
translation="[300,310]"
numRows="6"
numColumns="5"
rowHeights="80"
columnWidths="390"
itemSpacing="[3,3]" >
</MarkupGrid>

</children>

</component>

GuideItem.xml

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>

<component name="GuideItem" extends="Group">

<interface>
<field id="itemContent" type="node" onChange="itemContentChanged"/>
</interface>

<script type="text/brightscript" >
<![CDATA[
function itemContentChanged()
itemData = m.top.itemContent
m.itemText.text = itemData.labelText

m.boundRect = m.top.findNode("boundingRect")
m.boundRect.width *= itemData.W
end function

function init()
m.itemText = m.top.findNode("itemText")
end function
]]>
</script>

<children>
<Rectangle
id="boundingRect"
color="#000000"
height="80"
width="390" >
<Label id="itemText" font="font:MediumSystemFont" height="80" width="390" vertAlign="center" horizAlign="center"/>
</Rectangle>
</children>

</component>

GuideItemData.xml

<component name="GuideItemData" extends="ContentNode">

<interface>
<field id="labelText" type="string" />
</interface>

</component>
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Well.. some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I was able to reproduce it with your code. The bad news is that I can't see anything in your code that would cause it, so it's almost certainly a firmware bug of some sort. To add fuel to that fire, if you set "numRows" to 1, the issue goes away, but that's obviously not a solution.

As a workaround, you could track the last focused item index, and only perform an action in "onFocusChanged" if that value changes.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
You don't need to explicitly add the interface fields. They should already be present on ContentNode. And, yes, the grid knows to automatically look for those fields when fixedLayout is set to true.

"agale" wrote:
Thank you for the reply. Removing those interface fields fixed a crash I was experiencing when the grid tried to render.

Does SG just crash (no error) if existing fields are re-defined? That would be... peculiar.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
Does SG just crash (no error) if existing fields are re-defined? That would be... peculiar.

No, but it can cause some confusing error messages in the debug console. In the case of a fixedLayout MarkupGrid, if you explicitly define those fields in the interface of your extended ContentNode, it will result in errors like this:
** Error - ArrayGrid Layout: Fixed Layout cell was already occupied
** cell 0, current item: 0, new item: 1
** Row (Y): 0 Column (X): 0 Width (W):1 Height (H): 1

which is the same error you get if you don't specify a value for X and/or Y, so it's as if explicitly adding the interface fields overwrites the implicit fields and makes them unreadable by the underlying component.
0 Kudos
agale
Visitor

EnTerr wrote:

Actually, yes it does. Changing GuideItemData.xml to the code below causes a crash and device reboot. No errors anywhere.

<component name="GuideItemData" extends="ContentNode">

<interface> 
  <field id="labelText" type="string" />
  <field id="X" type="integer" />
  <field id="Y" type="integer" />
  <field id="W" type="integer" />
  <field id="H" type="integer" />
</interface>

</component>
0 Kudos