Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MRSS Template & Play/Resume

Using the MRSS template from Roku, I notice there is only a "Play" button on the Springboard screen.

Any ideas on how to implement the functioning buttons for "Resume playing" and "Play from beginning"?

(I have added the buttons, but the resume function does not work -- there must be code that needs to be implemented elsewhere?)

Thx,
Bruce
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

Re: MRSS Template & Play/Resume

There's no built in resume functionality. You would have to build it by hand. First, you would need to store the user's position within each video periodically during playback. Some channels have API mechanisms for storing this data in the could, others use the device registry. Then, you would have to use that stored position data to populate the playStart attribute of your content-meta-data structure when the user clicked your resume button.
0 Kudos

RokuChris,

The videoplayer example code seems to have the code necessary to make "Resume playing" work.... do you know where that code is at in the .brs files?

-
Bruce
0 Kudos
danesor12
Visitor

How do I install it in the first place. i created a zip file and install using roku plugin installation. But it would not work.
What am i missing?

There's no zip file also.
0 Kudos
coryatcf
Visitor

Hello,

Would anyone be willing to share the specific code modifications that need to be made to the MRSS template in order to implement a "resume" feature such as included in the videoplayer example? I sort of get what RokuChris is saying--i.e. I realize videoplayer is writing/reading the registry with the various episodes' playback positions; I just don't understand specifically how to adapt MRSS template to do likewise.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

"coryatcf" wrote:
Hello,

Would anyone be willing to share the specific code modifications that need to be made to the MRSS template in order to implement a "resume" feature such as included in the videoplayer example? I sort of get what RokuChris is saying--i.e. I realize videoplayer is writing/reading the registry with the various episodes' playback positions; I just don't understand specifically how to adapt MRSS template to do likewise.

Thanks.

This is a very old thread. Registry based resume was added to the MRSS template last year. https://roku.box.com/s/d834c57fcc831b498423
0 Kudos
coryatcf
Visitor

Excellent. Thanks! 🙂
0 Kudos
coryatcf
Visitor

Hey, I noticed this update also supports VAST for serving ads. Is there any way to use this feature to just play an ad video off a local server--i.e. is there a way I can set up the "vast.xml" to just play a brief video clip off my local server before each episode is played?
0 Kudos
agmark
Visitor

VAST may be overkill for your application, but you could certainly have your own ad play before the main content is played. Look at the example code you have and you'll see how the logic works. You should be able to adapt the videoplayer to grab and play your own video.
0 Kudos