Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
retrotom
Visitor

MKV Support Details?

Since the new USB player supports MKV, is it possible to get more details about MKV support? Do we need to just change the stream format to "mkv"and encode with the same settings as MP4 in order to get it to work?
0 Kudos
25 REPLIES 25
kbenson
Visitor

Re: MKV Support Details?

For anyone that hasn't seen it, the sticky thread in general forum may yield useful info:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=36754
-- GandK Labs
Check out Reversi! in the channel store!
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

I can't seem to figure out what StreamFormat will let us play MKVs in our own channels... but I'm not giving up! 😛
I've tried "mkv", "matroska", "mkva", "mkvb", "h264", "mp4", and even "hls" for the heck of it. No go for any of them so far. I suppose it's possible they've not enabled streaming support for it, yet...
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

OK, I installed the USB channel and when through a upgrade to the box.
Now the USB channel plays a mkv video I have, great !
Now, HOW do I stream it from my channel ?
Tried changing type, but no go !
0 Kudos
retrotom
Visitor

"TheEndless" wrote:
I can't seem to figure out what StreamFormat will let us play MKVs in our own channels... but I'm not giving up! 😛
I've tried "mkv", "matroska", "mkva", "mkvb", "h264", "mp4", and even "hls" for the heck of it. No go for any of them so far. I suppose it's possible they've not enabled streaming support for it, yet...

Maybe there's a super-secret way that will only be available once we read the 2.9 SDK. Or maybe we have to wait until v3. I really would like another container besides MP4. MKV (without testing) looks like it could be streamable -- much like AVI. I don't care about the FLV container because it's just like MP4. What would be awesome is MPEG2-TS support (non-HLS) and MKV. I don't really care about codecs -- H264 and AAC are great. I'll be honest, I only care about more flexible containers. Let me build/stream the container easily. HLS is a start -- but it requires much more effort to get working correctly.
0 Kudos
RokuKevin
Visitor

There are multiple matroska containers, and you must use the correct one for your stream url. Fortunately, they are easy to remember as they match the typical filename extension.

For ".mka" files, use StreamFormat = "mka"
For ".mkv" files, use StreamFormat = "mkv"
For ".mks" files, use StreamFormat = "mks"

--Kevin
0 Kudos
retrotom
Visitor

"RokuKevin" wrote:
There are multiple matroska containers, and you must use the correct one for your stream url. Fortunately, they are easy to remember as they match the typical filename extension.

--Kevin

Is streaming of these formats supported with the latest firmware? If so, I might be inclined to think that you are awesome.
0 Kudos
retrotom
Visitor

"retrotom" wrote:
"RokuKevin" wrote:

--Kevin

Is streaming of these formats supported with the latest firmware? If so, I might be inclined to think that you are awesome.

To clarify...I mean...can I stream them from an HTTP server like normal media (MP3, MP4, etc.).
0 Kudos
RokuChris
Roku Employee
Roku Employee

The streamFormat value for playing MKV video is "mkv", but you will also need to add a line to your manifest file: requires_mkv=1
0 Kudos
retrotom
Visitor

"RokuChris" wrote:
The streamFormat value for playing MKV video is "mkv", but you will also need to add a line to your manifest file: requires_mkv=1

I haven't test it yet -- but you guys have no idea how happy you've made me.
0 Kudos