Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iplex2
Visitor

MGO channel UI

The SDK that MGO is using for their channel is miles better than the current SDK. It could really give developers an opportunity to develop a more modern looking and far more intuitive UI when using Brightscript. Will this SDK be available any time soon?
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

Re: MGO channel UI

Not for a while.

- Joel
0 Kudos
iplex2
Visitor

"RokuJoel" wrote:
Not for a while.

- Joel

Does MGO have exclusive rights to this SDK? I do not understand why Roku would hold this back from developers. Most channels using the current UI would benefit greatly with the new SDK. It would certainly make standard Roku channels more appealing and functional.
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

We aren't holding it back, we just aren't done creating it.

- Joel
0 Kudos
iplex2
Visitor

"RokuJoel" wrote:
We aren't holding it back, we just aren't done creating it.

- Joel

Thanks for the information. I really hope this new SDK arrives sooner rather than later.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"iplex2" wrote:
Does MGO have exclusive rights to this SDK? I do not understand why Roku would hold this back from developers.

There exists special relationship between Roku and M-go. Roku provides big market to the little known M'go, whereas Roku outsources movie/tv rentals to M'go while billing them to Roku accounts, profiting in the process. So i kind of understand the special treatment.
0 Kudos
iplex2
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
"iplex2" wrote:
Does MGO have exclusive rights to this SDK? I do not understand why Roku would hold this back from developers.

There exists special relationship between Roku and M-go. Roku provides big market to the little known M'go, whereas Roku outsources movie/tv rentals to M'go while billing them to Roku accounts, profiting in the process. So i kind of understand the special treatment.

This may very well be the case but @RokuJoel has not confirmed that in regard to the SDK. The fact is MGO has it and no one else has access to it. I am really wanting this new SDK for the Plex channel as they refuse to customize their UI. Plex is waiting for Roku to release the new SDK before making any changes to their UI and have stated this on numerous occasions in the past on the Plex Forums.
0 Kudos
gonzotek
Visitor

"iplex2" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
"iplex2" wrote:

This may very well be the case but @RokuJoel has not confirmed that in regard to the SDK. The fact is MGO has it and no one else has access to it. I am really wanting this new SDK for the Plex channel as they refuse to customize their UI. Plex is waiting for Roku to release the new SDK before making any changes to their UI and have stated this on numerous occasions in the past on the Plex Forums.
Unless Plex knows something I don't (and they very well might, I have little to no insider knowledge), there isn't a great big "NEW" sdk coming. For some time now, Roku has continuously and incrementally released improvements to the firmware and sdk documentation. I took RokuJoel's comments to mean that the firmware features Roku developed to implement M-Go aren't yet ready to be made part of the SDK documentation. At a guess they may need time to generalize routines for things that were specific to M-Go and the other top-level channels, as well as plan how to provide a cohesive user experience for managing additional arbitrary top-level channels. If there are specific things that M-GO is doing that you'd like to see available for apps like Plex, I suggest commenting on them, so that Roku can take that feedback and help shape their priorities around it.
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
RokuJoel
Binge Watcher

This may very well be the case but @RokuJoel has not confirmed

"You might very well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment"

- Francis Urquhart
0 Kudos
iplex2
Visitor

"RokuJoel" wrote:
This may very well be the case but @RokuJoel has not confirmed

"You might very well think that, but I couldn't possibly comment"

- Francis Urquhart

"There’s no better way to over power a trickle of doubt then with a flood of naked truth."

- Francis Underwood
0 Kudos