Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BradC
Channel Surfer

Re: Luhn Credit Card Validation (code included)

Did I just witness the first obfuscated brightscript thread? 😄
♦MiniGolf♦HangMan♦Brain Puck♦Retro Tennis♦BORK♦FLIP♦Pathogen♦Pathogen 2♦Shut the Box♦Birdie♦Logic♦Dots♦Pool♦küglo♦Bubble Wrap♦Trivia Channel♦Mancala♦Air Hockey♦Weather♦CAMERA♦Your Photos Screensaver♦Desert Beauty Screensaver♦Wild Lakes Screensaver♦
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"EnTerr" wrote:
"RokuJoel" wrote:
Yes I have, its one of my frequent daydreams, but when I get home from work I'm too tired to actually work on the project.

We need to talk to your boss about overworking you - and about instituting 20% side-project program at RokuCo, like the one in Google which brought us Gmail/Maps/AdSense/Google Now.

I got reminded about the idea of doing distributedly something useful as a screen-saver. I imagine Roku as a company won't be interested working on that, that corner is intersection of many limits and "but"s:
  • permanent storage - none to speak of, other than a small "registry" to keep track of progress; but any large inputs will have to be re-downloaded every time and outputs uploaded; USB media is read-only, so only cloud storage is a possibility

• no interrupt signal - when screen saver is interrupted, code does not receive event to save progress, so should be ready to be killed any minute; work should be chopped to smaller pieces

• connectivity - each Roku is typically behind a different NAT firewall, so they cannot talk directly to each other - will need mediator in the cloud

• low computing performance - neither the CPU nor interpreter were made for number crunching

• questions about trust (what are you doing with my player? how do i know i am not participating in a DDoS? etc)

Still, there are millions of these boxes powered 24x7 and doing nothing over 90% of the time. Tempting to invent something about it. So Joel - if you think you have good idea on doing something and it can be open sourced, maybe you can start a project and try to recruit volunteer help in the forum (presumably under non-Roku user ID to distance from impression of company involvement). Can't promise my participation (i have a good half-dozen channel projects in different state of tenderness and about as much on idea-level, should try shipping some) but i like challenges and considering complications above, this will be a tempting challenge. And there are other helpful people around.

PS. My musings brought to you today by the letters X, K, C and 😧

I think it's genius comparing protein folding to origami - it is so true: a polypeptide in its primary, linear structure is like a blank sheet and has no use until getting its secondary and tertiary structures - sometimes needing the help of "chaperone" proteins. The end about protease would be hilarious to a biologist. Anyway i linked the image to ExplainXKCD, which um, explains the comics. But the connection to this is Folding@home.
0 Kudos
greubel
Visitor

connectivity - each Roku is typically behind a different NAT firewall, so they cannot talk directly to each other - will need mediator in the cloud

I don't understand this one, my app "talks" to the other Roku boxes, passing history information back and forth to their copy of my app.
Pause on one, resume on another.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"greubel" wrote:

connectivity - each Roku is typically behind a different NAT firewall, so they cannot talk directly to each other - will need mediator in the cloud

I don't understand this one, my app "talks" to the other Roku boxes, passing history information back and forth to their copy of my app.
Pause on one, resume on another.

Right, there is no problem* between devices on the same intranet - i was talking about having to do NAT traversal for the macro-world (WAN) vs the micro (LAN) case. In virtually all** cases i have seen, Roku players are "behind firewall" re Internet due to IP masquerading. That's where problem lies, if a Roku from one household would be trying to peer with one in another house.

(*) Ok, sometimes there is a problem with WiFi, even two - AP isolation and multicast not being propagated; that's another story.
(**) can't give you exact % but you probably have better data at your disposal - by checking the use of 192.168.0.0/16 , 172.16.0.0/12, 10.0.0.0/8. And in addition i have heard of some ISP's carrier-grade NAT trespassing in IP address space reserved for US DoD/government...
0 Kudos