Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Loop through a content node

btpoole -
there are pieces of info missing in your explanation, so i would have to guess.

m.top.content = Content
m.top is the Task? does it have a field "content" declared in the interface? put a debug "? m.top.content" right after it to see if value got stored.

data = m.ContentTaskp.getChildren(1e4, 0)
aren't you missing ".content."? as in "m.ContentTaskp.content.getChildren("
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
btpoole -

m.top.content = Content

m.top is the Task? does it have a field "content" declared in the interface? put a debug "? m.top.content" right after it to see if value got stored.

You are correct. I guess it's a case of the forest, some trees and the view being obscured.  I will add the content and see if that gets me closer.  Thanks again
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
btpoole -

m.top.content = Content

What if the m.top.content=Content is not showing the values? I have noticed this happening in past where ?data (in this case) shows the values but the m.top.content does not, like the Content is not wrapping the data into the contentnode.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"btpoole" wrote:
What if the m.top.content=Content is not showing the values? I have noticed this happening in past where ?data (in this case) shows the values but the m.top.content does not, like the Content is not wrapping the data into the contentnode.

It would mean the assignment "did not work", one example would be if the field has not been declared (or dynamically added) in advance. You'd think that will cause runtime error, assigning to a non-existent field? Good thinking but no - there is a bug in RSG, in which it silently ignores such assignments without complaining... 
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
"btpoole" wrote:

It would mean the assignment "did not work", one example would be if the field has not been declared (or dynamically added) in advance. You'd think that will cause runtime error, assigning to a non-existent field? Good thinking but no - there is a bug in RSG, in which it silently ignores such assignments without complaining... 

I have noticed that, no errors and no data returned. I wasn't sure if I was using addfields correctly for the associative array, but as I stated if I ?data, shows it to be correct but sometimes the content will not contain anything. Wish you could just pass the array back to the bs that created the task but from what I can tell that's not possible or am I not understanding. The way I understand it, the bs uses the task to do everything I once done in a function and created the array, now the info is stored in a contentnode and the bs reads the contentnode. 
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
"btpoole" wrote:

As far as setting Content to m.top.content and it not assigning I have discovered something you probably and others know. In the following example I create an array like always and use addfields to assign it to the content. The content never accepted the field. So, instead of m.top.content=content I replaced with m.top.content=data. Data being the child I had hoped content would wrap and add to contentnode. When executed, the data has the resultfield but content never does.
Content = CreateObject("roSGNode", "ContentNode")
for each item in result
data=Content.createChild("ContentNode")
data.addfields( { resultfield: {result:[item] } } )
end for
?data           <<<<<<<<<<<  ACCEPTS FIELD resultfield
?CONTENT        <<<<<<<<<<<< NEVER WRAPS data
m.top.content=data

Once the above executes and returns to the brs I have the following
sub setGridcontent()
?"in setGridcontent"
data=m.ContentTaskp.content
?data
end sub

When this executes, the ?data displays the following
<Component: roSGNode> =
{
    metadata: <Component: roContentMetadata>
    change: <Component: roAssociativeArray>
    focusable: false
    focusedChild: <Component: roInvalid>
    id: 
    resultfield: <Component: roAssociativeArray>       <<<<< RESULTFIELD is part of the contentnode
}
How can I get into the resultfield?  Have tried to set data=m.ContentTaskp.content.getChildren(1e4, 0) and run a loop but no luck, returns an empty roArray.  Is resultfield not a child of the node?
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"btpoole" wrote:
sub setGridcontent()
?"in setGridcontent"
?data
end sub

{
    id: 
    resultfield: <Component: roAssociativeArray>       <<<<< RESULTFIELD is part of the contentnode
}
How can I get into the resultfield?  Have tried to set data=m.ContentTaskp.content.getChildren(1e4, 0) and run a loop but no luck, returns an empty roArray.  Is resultfield not a child of the node?

Sorry, i have to admit i couldn't quite follow your explanation - seems to me parts are missing and it's really hard to decode everything when there is no single piece of code.

This said, i will take a guess on the above: given that `m.ContentTaskp.content` in setGridContent() prints what you showed, you should be able to find the array you stored in `m.ContentTaskp.content.resultfield.result`. Did it have to be that complicated - probably not but that's where it seems you put it.

And no - node fields are different from node children, so can't enumerate them like so. That's conceptually close to HTML, if you consider the nested html tags as "children" and a tag's attributes as "fields".
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
"btpoole" wrote:
sub setGridcontent()
?"in setGridcontent"
?data
end sub

{
    id: 
}

Sorry, i have to admit i couldn't quite follow your explanation - seems to me parts are missing and it's really hard to decode everything when there is no single piece of code.

This said, i will take a guess on the above: given that `m.ContentTaskp.content` in setGridContent() prints what you showed, you should be able to find the array you stored in `m.ContentTaskp.content.resultfield.result`. Did it have to be that complicated - probably not but that's where it seems you put it.

And no - node fields are different from node children, so can't enumerate them like so. That's conceptually close to HTML, if you consider the nested html tags as "children" and a tag's attributes as "fields".

I was able to locate the result. What I was mostly concerned with was that in the Task where m.top.content=content doesn't work. The content being content=createobject("rsgnode", "ContentNode"). The content never incorporates the added fields. Looking back into what I posted
data=content.createchild("ContentNode")

the content doesn't take in the data, so I set m.top.content=data and it worked. I was under the impression that you create a node (content in this case), then contentnode (data in this case) and then addfields to data. The data would be taken in by the content. At least this is something like I had done in another Task.
As for the location of result I was trying to follow the example you had posted , using resultfield and result.
myNode.addFields({ myField: {bless_RSGs_maker: [1, 2, 3]} })

Well, not sure why the data is not added to the content. Thanks for your advice and guidance thru out you have been most helpful to me many times on the forum.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"btpoole" wrote:
What I was mostly concerned with was that in the Task where m.top.content=content doesn't work. The content being content=createobject("rsgnode", "ContentNode"). The content never incorporates the added fields. Looking back into what I posted

the content doesn't take in the data, so I set m.top.content=data and it worked. I was under the impression that you create a node (content in this case), then contentnode (data in this case) and then addfields to data. The data would be taken in by the content. At least this is something like I had done in another Task.
Well, not sure why the data is not added to the content. Thanks for your advice and guidance thru out you have been most helpful to me many times on the forum.

I have no idea what "m.top.content" is supposed to be in your Task, because you have not posted example. It is really, really frustrating to work like that and i will stop. Next time make small and very clear example that contains 100% of the relevant code. Not something to guess. Also see if you can use the "free Roku clinic" chat room - doing it interactively should be less frustrating than trying to read mind from a distance. 

The child node is getting added to the parent. Perhaps you are confused about what `createChild()` does - it creates a new ContentNode and attaches it as a child to "content" (whatever is there, i have no idea, i assume some Node subclass). That does NOT however create any field for it, so you cannot find data inside content by indexing like content.data. Instead you should be using one of the https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... deChildren methods to find it later. What i said about HTML/XML analogy, you are creating something like this (make-believe, if it helps your thinking):
<node>
 <contentNode resultField="{result: [item]}">
 </contentNode>
</node>
0 Kudos
btpoole
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
"btpoole" wrote:
What I was mostly concerned with was that in the Task where m.top.content=content doesn't work. The content being content=createobject("rsgnode", "ContentNode"). The content never incorporates the added fields. Looking back into what I posted

I have no idea what "m.top.content" is supposed to be in your Task, because you have not posted example. It is really, really frustrating to work like that and i will stop. Next time make small and very clear example that contains 100% of the relevant code. Not something to guess. Also see if you can use the "free Roku clinic" chat room - doing it interactively should be less frustrating than trying to read mind from a distance. 

The child node is getting added to the parent. Perhaps you are confused about what `createChild()` does - it creates a new ContentNode and attaches it as a child to "content" (whatever is there, i have no idea, i assume some Node subclass). That does NOT however create any field for it, so you cannot find data inside content by indexing like content.data. Instead you should be using one of the https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc ... deChildren methods to find it later. What i said about HTML/XML analogy, you are creating something like this (make-believe, if it helps your thinking):
<node>
 <contentNode resultField="{result: [item]}">
 </contentNode>
</node>

Thanks again, I do understand the xml analogy. As for the m.top.content=content, I posted this info in the original part of the post
Content = CreateObject("roSGNode", "ContentNode")
for each item in result
data=Content.createChild("ContentNode")
data.addfields( { resultfield: {result:[item] } } ) <<<<<<<<<<data is not created as child of of ContentNode
end for
?data           <<<<<<<<<<<  ACCEPTS FIELD resultfield
?CONTENT        <<<<<<<<<<<< NEVER WRAPS data
m.top.content=data
'm.top.content=content <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<THIS DOES NOT WORK

In the post I was referencing that setting m.top.content=content doe not work so setting m.top.content=data as shown above does.  As for the chat room, I didn't know this existed, thanks for pointing this out.   Thanks again.
0 Kudos