Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rjdjohnston
Binge Watcher

Loop stops and channel returns to Roku home screen

Hello,

I've developed a channel to power a continuous feed looping through a playlist and updating the playlist with each pass.

This loop is continuously ran powering content in hotel rooms.

Through our testing we realized after a certain amount of time the channel quits and exits to the Roku home screen.

We have the screen saver disabled. Only one channel installed on the Roku devices, which are Roku 2's.

Is there any way to stop the Roku devices from exiting the channel and going back to the home screen?

Thank you
My channels: Amiri King, Donnie Baker, Worldview Weekend - Twitter @rjdjohnston
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: Loop stops and channel returns to Roku home screen

That would depend on what's causing the channel to exit. Have you tried running one of the Rokus using the debugger to see where it's failing?
0 Kudos
rjdjohnston
Binge Watcher

I'm pretty sure it's a device issue. I've just read other apps doing the same and going back to home screen after 10 hours of continuous plays.

Is this normal Roku behavior? If so, is there any way to hack/trick/change it?
0 Kudos
rjdjohnston
Binge Watcher

Based on this response from rokudale it looks like Roku ruined an entire project I've been working on.

This appears to be a new feature in 7.1, auto exit of any roku app if idle for at least 2 hours. By idle it means no UI interaction after any video, music, or photo has played. Also, there is no user setting to disable it.
rokudale

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=94385&hilit=screensaver&start=45

Is there anyway to force an older version of the firmware on these devices?
0 Kudos
squirreltown
Roku Guru

Is this new "feature" fooled by the ECP trick, like is necessary for roScreen or do remote presses not count?
What is the reasoning behind this?
Kinetics Screensavers
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"rjdjohnston" wrote:
Based on this response from rokudale it looks like Roku ruined an entire project I've been working on.

This appears to be a new feature in 7.1, auto exit of any roku app if idle for at least 2 hours. By idle it means no UI interaction after any video, music, or photo has played. Also, there is no user setting to disable it.
rokudale

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=94385&hilit=screensaver&start=45

Is there anyway to force an older version of the firmware on these devices?

Per RokuDale's comment, it should only happen if the device is idle with no video playing. I thought you were looping video in a playlist. If so, this isn't your issue.

As for rolling back to an older firmware, no, that's not possible.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
rjdjohnston
Binge Watcher

I read it slightly different than you endless. Hopefully you're interpretation is correct. It is "auto exiting" our Roku app. No clue why yet.

I'm gonna run another 12 hr test tonight and see if I can get more info from the development version.
0 Kudos