Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdpetersen
Visitor

Legacy SDK Deprecation Question

I wondered if someone could clarify/confirm one thing for me that I found on the Roku Blog post about the Legacy SDK being deprecated: https://blog.roku.com/developer/2017/02/01/legacy-sdk

My current channel is using a lot of the Legacy SDK. I'm pushing really hard to get a new channel developed, but I'm concerned I won't make it before the holiday deadline. I just noticed the EDIT at the bottom of the post... am I correct in understanding that my Roku channel will still live after Jan 1, 2019, giving me more time to get my rebuild completed?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
destruk
Binge Watcher

Re: Legacy SDK Deprecation Question

That is a real good question. Hopefully Roku will respond with a definitive answer.  I have noticed some legacy channels on firmware 8 and newer have started rebooting the roku so those will need to be fixed or updated to continue working.  If yours isn't exhibiting bad behavior then it might be ok.
0 Kudos
RokuTomC
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Yes, that is correct. Your channel will still "live" and continue functioning after Jan 1, 2019. The components will not be removed from the firmware on that date.

To Destruk's point, though, those components have been deprecated for close to two years now, and Roku has not been investing in their continued functionality during those two years. To that end, it's to be expected that the channel may become unusable at some point in the future as successive firmware updates make the channel less and less optimized.
0 Kudos
sdpetersen
Visitor

Thanks @RokuTomC - since my current channel isn't unstable currently, I suppose I can breathe a sigh of relief and stop stressing about the holiday deadline and take my time making sure I get the new channel right.
0 Kudos