Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yogamerge
Visitor

Learning BrightScript Language

Hey guys,

I would really like to become better with BrightScript programming. I read that it was similar to Visual Basic, after playing around with Visual Basic, I can see some similarities. However, I wonder if it would truly be beneficial to learn Visual Basic for the purpose of BrightScript, or just stick solely with BrightScript? Thanks much.
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Re: Learning BrightScript Language

No - do not learn VB if you don't already know it. It won't help you and may even confuse you because of similarities/differences. It is the same with human languages - learning two similar languages at the same time is a bad idea.

Moreover, BS does not originate from VB - they have common roots, the BASIC language - and they have added extensions, like dynamic variable typing ("variant" in VB), dictionaries etc. But other things in B/S - like having only local variables (no globals and avoiding altogether the argument of lexical vs dynamic scope), the way "m." is used as self for object programming - those i haven't seen anywhere else and i know at least a dozen other programming languages to some degree.

I think you should take BrightScript as-is; it's quirky but usable. Most quirks are in the components (under)implementations, which are separate from the language.
0 Kudos