Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aelinuxguy
Visitor

Launch Netflix and jump to show

I know this has been covered in the past but I was hoping there might be an update with the latest Roku SDK. I would like to have a channel that would launch the Netflix / Amazon / Hulu app and automatically jump to a show just like the universal search does. It would seem that ECG gets me part of the way there - I can launch the channel. The 'contentId' argument even seems like it might allow me to jump to a portion of the channel. I was pretty much to the point of telling myself this just wasn't possible but I keep coming back to the notion that universal search does this *somehow* so the channels must support it at some level. Can anybody shed some light here? Maybe something we can be doing with that contentId? Thanks in advance!
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
gonzotek
Visitor

Re: Launch Netflix and jump to show

"aelinuxguy" wrote:
I know this has been covered in the past but I was hoping there might be an update with the latest Roku SDK. I would like to have a channel that would launch the Netflix / Amazon / Hulu app and automatically jump to a show just like the universal search does. It would seem that ECG gets me part of the way there - I can launch the channel. The 'contentId' argument even seems like it might allow me to jump to a portion of the channel. I was pretty much to the point of telling myself this just wasn't possible but I keep coming back to the notion that universal search does this *somehow* so the channels must support it at some level. Can anybody shed some light here? Maybe something we can be doing with that contentId? Thanks in advance!
Unfortunately it's undocumented and no one has yet discovered(or shared) the exact parameters Roku is using for the universal search feature. It's assumed they're using the ECP launch parameter feature, although they may be using another (also undocumented) method. contentId is just a suggested url parameter, channel authors are free to implement in their channels any parameter or parameters they want (e.g. video, stream, id, rabbit, whatever).
Remoku.tv - A free web app for Roku Remote Control!
Want to control your Roku from nearly any phone, computer or tablet? Get started at http://help.remoku.tv
by Apps4TV - Applications for television and beyond: http://www.apps4tv.com
0 Kudos
aelinuxguy
Visitor

Re: Launch Netflix and jump to show

Cool, thanks for the reply. Remoku is cool by the way.

So to the fine folks with Roku prefixing their user name - any chance you could throw us a hint? Pretty please 😉 If it is some sort of IP thing I understand - universal search is a really cool feature that you probably don't want your competitors to know how you implemented.
0 Kudos