Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scaper12123
Visitor

Json confusion

I am trying to get some info out of a json file online. I obtain and parse the file just fine but I can't for the life of me figure out what statement i need to make in order to get the info I need.

The problem stems from the format of the json file:
[{"Event_ID":15642,"Event_Title":"Saturday 6pm Service","Event_Start_Date":"2016-07-02T18:00:00","Event_End_Date":"2016-07-02T19:30:00","Enable_Event_Streaming":true,"Ministry_Name":"Weekend Worship","Congregation_ID":5,"Congregation_Name":"CCM Melbourne","Description":"Children's ministry is available for infants through 6th grade.","WebHTML":null}]

This is the entirety of the file in question. As a start, i've been trying to make a statement to check the boolean "Enable_Event_Streaming". The following is what I have in code:
sub CreateLiveMenu()
Stream = CreateObject("roAssociativeArray")

link_url = [the url link to the json file]
json_str = GetXML_1(link_url) 'retrieves the json file information (ignore the name). I am already assured this works so don't worry about it for now
json = ParseJson(json_str) 'I have already confirmed this statement works through a print statement displaying all the information in the file correctly

will_stream = json.Enable_Event_Streaming
if will_stream = true
print "will stream"
else
print "won't stream"
end if

return
end sub

Any help in sorting out this issue would be appreciated.
I AM THE ARCHMAGE... who is also rather new to Brightscript so forgive me for seeming inept at times.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
belltown
Roku Guru

Re: Json confusion

In JSON, square brackets, [], denote a zero-based, comma-separated array of items. Even though your array only contains one item, you still need to index it:

json[0].Enable_Event_Streaming
0 Kudos
scaper12123
Visitor

"belltown" wrote:
In JSON, square brackets, [], denote a zero-based, comma-separated array of items. Even though your array only contains one item, you still need to index it:

json[0].Enable_Event_Streaming

That explains a lot! thank you
I AM THE ARCHMAGE... who is also rather new to Brightscript so forgive me for seeming inept at times.
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

As a general tip on "how to fish" when having issue like that: put a STOP statement right after the problematic parse/ingest of xml/json. That throws you into console - and then via telnet there use ? (print) commands to figure out the exact access path:
BrightScript Debugger> ? json
<Component: roArray> =
[
<Component: roAssociativeArray>
]

BrightScript Debugger> ? json[0]
<Component: roAssociativeArray> =
{
congregation_id: 5
congregation_name: CCM Melbourne
description: Children's ministry is available for infants through 6th grade.
enable_event_streaming: true
event_end_date: 2016-07-02T19:30:00
event_id: 15642
event_start_date: 2016-07-02T18:00:00
event_title: Saturday 6pm Service
ministry_name: Weekend Worship
webhtml: invalid
}

BrightScript Debugger> ? json[0].enable_event_streaming
true
See how i "fished" for the data, w/o process being mentally taxing?
0 Kudos
scaper12123
Visitor

"EnTerr" wrote:
As a general tip on "how to fish" when having issue like that: put a STOP statement right after the problematic parse/ingest of xml/json. That throws you into console - and then via telnet there use ? (print) commands to figure out the exact access path:
BrightScript Debugger> ? json
<Component: roArray> =
[
<Component: roAssociativeArray>
]

BrightScript Debugger> ? json[0]
<Component: roAssociativeArray> =
{
congregation_id: 5
congregation_name: CCM Melbourne
description: Children's ministry is available for infants through 6th grade.
enable_event_streaming: true
event_end_date: 2016-07-02T19:30:00
event_id: 15642
event_start_date: 2016-07-02T18:00:00
event_title: Saturday 6pm Service
ministry_name: Weekend Worship
webhtml: invalid
}

BrightScript Debugger> ? json[0].enable_event_streaming
true
See how i "fished" for the data, w/o process being mentally taxing?

Oh that is very helpful indeed! Many thanks, sir!
0 Kudos