Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aleemaheer
Channel Surfer

Is there any way to reset password generated from genkey

Jump to solution

Hi there, can we recover the password generated with the genkey from the telnet session for the Roku channel?
I have packaged a channel and published it to the Roku store, but I have not stored my password, which I need to update the channel, what should I do?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Re: Is there any way to reset password generated from genkey

Jump to solution

Hi @aleemaheer

Thank you for the inquiry!

No, it is not possible to recover the password generated with the genkey from the Telnet session for the Roku channel.

The purpose of the genkey command in the Roku development process is to generate a new private key that is used to sign your channel's code. This private key is required to update your channel in the future. The password is used to protect this private key and prevent unauthorized access.

Once you generate the password for the private key, it is not stored anywhere in Roku's system or on your computer. Therefore, if you forget the password, you will not be able to recover it.

It is important to keep a secure record of the password and the private key file because losing either of them can prevent you from updating your channel in the future.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
RokuLianna
Retired Moderator

Jump to solution

Hi @aleemaheer

Thank you for the inquiry!

No, it is not possible to recover the password generated with the genkey from the Telnet session for the Roku channel.

The purpose of the genkey command in the Roku development process is to generate a new private key that is used to sign your channel's code. This private key is required to update your channel in the future. The password is used to protect this private key and prevent unauthorized access.

Once you generate the password for the private key, it is not stored anywhere in Roku's system or on your computer. Therefore, if you forget the password, you will not be able to recover it.

It is important to keep a secure record of the password and the private key file because losing either of them can prevent you from updating your channel in the future.

Warm Regards,
Lianna

sanity-check
Roku Guru

Jump to solution

RokuLianna's answer is the official line, but I'm pretty sure there's an override on Roku's side to allow replacement of a channel package with a differently-signed one. I've seen it done after inheriting a channel from a previous developer.

partnersuccess@roku.com if you're eligible for that support.