Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wymond6505
Visitor

Is Roku smart enough?

Question:  I have a Roku express and LOVE it.  However I have to login to each program individually, for example ( I use netflix, HBO, slingtv,etc)  I have favorites and wishlists for each.  I was thinking what would really be cool if there was a program that could scrape and connect to each one and allow a seamless random playlist and play them for you.  I hope this makes sense.  I would love to be able to create a list or grid (like slingtv of shows on now consisting of only my fav's.  I don't think this exists yet, or does it?  Thanks
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
joetesta
Roku Guru

Re: Is Roku smart enough?

Cool idea!  
Although pretty sure this will not be possible: "allow a seamless random playlist and play them for you"
but what *might* be possible is a channel that (somehow, are they public?  If not can we leverage the existing login?) gathers the data from your other channels and provides your list of favorites with deep links to your other channels.  Although I guess the Roku search feature basically does this already.
aspiring
0 Kudos
tim_beynart
Channel Surfer

Roku is (will be? not sure if this rolled out yet) sharing any TV Everywhere login, so at least you only need to log in to your cable provider once. TVE is used by the broadcast and cable networks, like NBC, USA, SyFy, HBO, etc. Unfortunately this "single sign on" will not apply to Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu.
I know Roku can search across all channels, I'm not sure if it's possible to create a playlist across them.
0 Kudos
joetesta
Roku Guru

Although you might be able to create a playlist that launches different channels, there's no way you'd be able to consecutively play more than one item of a playlist that launches different channels, because once you launch the first different channel (unless they cooperate and add code to their channel to go back to the launching channel) then control of the roku is out of your hands and in the hands of the launched channel.
aspiring
0 Kudos
futurex
Visitor

I would be happy to just be able to list all the programs I am currently watching so I can 1) remember what the heck I've been watching! and 2) click straight into the show.  I don't mind adding them manually.  I did add everything to the search feature but the shows only pop up when there has been a change.  I just got rid of DirecTV and miss having everything in a list. 
Roku Ultra > Vizio M70-C3 (4K) > Sony STR-DH770 (ARC)
Roku Streaming Stick + > Vizio E48u-D0 (4K) > Vizio Soundbar SB4551-D5 (ARC)
0 Kudos