Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scyber
Visitor

Is HLS broken on Roku 2?

Anyone having any success playing hls streams on Roku 2? I noticed that a few of my channels weren't working, so I tried loading up the simplevideoplayer from the 3.0 SDK and used Apples bit bop hls stream and I get the same error:

play failed: An unexpected problem (but not server timeout or HTTP error) has been detected.

Is there something that needs to be changed in Brightscript in order to play hls streams on the roku2?
0 Kudos
42 REPLIES 42
jwray
Visitor

Re: Is HLS broken on Roku 2?

Hi,

I'd be interested in an answer to this question also. I'm the author of the Plex channel that uses HLS to stream local media to the Roku. The channel works fine under the old hardware with both 2.x and 3.0 firmware but a number of users are reporting that the Roku2 does not work. It appears to reject the stream immediately on reading the m3u8 file and never requests a ts segment file.

A couple of users have also mentioned that other channels they use also do not work on the Roku2 but didn't specify which.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received here,
thanks,
Jonny
0 Kudos
Anonymous
Visitor

HLS isn't broken, though there may be a few outstanding corner cases. We are furiously working to address them. If you want to send me sample links, we can take a look.
0 Kudos
jwray
Visitor

The Plex app is designed to stream local media so sample links are inherently local also. Let me talk to the core Plex devs and see if they have a remotely accessible server you can access.

thanks for the help,
Jonny

"RokuPatrick" wrote:
HLS isn't broken, though there may be a few outstanding corner cases. We are furiously working to address them. If you want to send me sample links, we can take a look.
0 Kudos
scyber
Visitor

From the 3.0 SDK examples (simplevideoplayer):

http://devimages.apple.com/iphone/sampl ... opall.m3u8

Does not work on my Roku2. I was unable to test the big buck bunny url in the sample since that url appears to be dead.
0 Kudos
scyber
Visitor

"scyber" wrote:
From the 3.0 SDK examples (simplevideoplayer):

http://devimages.apple.com/iphone/sampl ... opall.m3u8

Does not work on my Roku2. I was unable to test the big buck bunny url in the sample since that url appears to be dead.

FYI, I just tried a direct m3u8 url:
http://devimages.apple.com/iphone/sampl ... index.m3u8

and it appears to work fine. So perhaps the issue is with m3u8 files that contain references to other m3u8 files?
0 Kudos
SolveLLC
Visitor

We're seeing issues as well. Stream will load, play a segment and rebuffer.

Edit: we don't know if this is specific to "Roku 2" or if its specific to the firmware. We've submitted sample streams to Kevin that were generated by a major commercial encoder vendor that clearly work with 2.9 but do not work with "3.0". We've received no feedback other than "it's a regression bug".
0 Kudos
jbrave
Channel Surfer

The Roku2 will however, play HLS streams that the previous Roku's won't play, for instance with an MP3 audio track instead of AAC.
Screenshades: The first Screensaver for Roku2!
Musiclouds: The best free internet music, on your Roku!
Ouroborialis: Psychedelic Screensaver for Roku!
0 Kudos
jwray
Visitor

To address the Roku2 vs firmware 3.0 thing a little. In my case v3.0 works fine, in fact playing streams that 2.9 would fail on over wifi (but not wired).

Jonny
0 Kudos
SolveLLC
Visitor

"jbrave" wrote:
The Roku2 will however, play HLS streams that the previous Roku's won't play, for instance with an MP3 audio track instead of AAC.

So who's doing the Veetle channel then?
0 Kudos