Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Romans_I_XVI
Roku Guru

Info - roScreen tears if it's set at a lower resolution than the Roku

So, I was modifying Snake to fix some flickering issues on certain devices (separate issue). After fixing everything I was getting very frustrated at the screen tearing that was occuring, the game is super low profile and should run plenty smooth on any current generation Roku devices. I'm going to post a video that highlights the difference, it seems small, but if you saw it in person you can just tell the second build is much smoother all around (tearing never occurs).

[youtube:3jljrf3v]6RQmI72PvrE[/youtube:3jljrf3v]

What it comes down to is games appear to run much better for me if roScreen is set to 1280x720 and I draw to a bitmap which I scale up and draw to the screen than if I were to set the screen to 854x480 and draw directly to the screen. I build my games at 1280x720 now anyway so it's sort of irrelevant, but for anyone building to a different resolution this could be helpful '''\(*_*)/'''
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Komag
Roku Guru

Re: Info - roScreen tears if it's set at a lower resolution than the Roku

Sounds like a Roku bug to me, and I bet it's pretty low priority to fix since everyone will probably be designing in HD anyway.
0 Kudos
RokuNB
Roku Guru

Re: Info - roScreen tears if it's set at a lower resolution than the Roku

The usual questions apply: firmware#? model#?
A "minimal code example" perhaps?
0 Kudos