Roku Developer Program

Join our online forum to talk to Roku developers and fellow channel creators. Ask questions, share tips with the community, and find helpful resources.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

Re: Infinite "hall-o-mirrors" effect with scaled screen

"EnTerr" wrote:
"EnTerr" wrote:
Maybe something can be done by "cutting" piece of roScreen with roRegion and do most all drawing to that roRegion instead of the screen? I have never used it - but drawing to a region directly affects the parent bitmap, no?

@TheEndless - whatever i said, was that crazy talk? Inquiring mind wants to know

A region effectively just offsets your x and y and clips draws to the width and height of the region. Otherwise it's identical to drawing directly to the bitmap/screen. Using a region of roScreen would result in the same "hall-o-mirrors" effect.
My Channels: http://roku.permanence.com - Twitter: @TheEndlessDev
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
A region effectively just offsets your x and y and clips draws to the width and height of the region. Otherwise it's identical to drawing directly to the bitmap/screen. Using a region of roScreen would result in the same "hall-o-mirrors" effect.

The point is to address the overscan issue at large, not the infini-mirror symptom. Avoid drawing to a bitmap first and then copy to screen. I was thinking

scr = createObject("roScreen", ...)
if should_compensate_for_overscan:
'trim 5% on each side
scr = createObject("roRegion", scr, 1280 * 0.05, 720 * 0.05, 1280 * 0.90, 720 * 0.90)
end if

Now that takes care of the translation and i don't know if roRegion has any built-in means for scaling when drawn *to*?
Alternatively, is DrawScaledObject(x, y, 1, 1, bmp) notably slower than DrawObject(x, y, bmp) (i.e. if DrawScaledObject is optimized not to do any math for 1:1 "scaling"... i think you know where i am heading with that) ?
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Actually I already basically do that EnTerr. From the beginning I've drawn everything to a region called mainR (which goes to screen), which is a few pixels smaller than screen, for just that reason. But there is no scaling there, I just have mainR that is 1216x704 rather than 1280x720. My game is a grid of 64x64 squares, so within 1216x704 I get 19 x 11 squares, and everything I've done for the past 8 months is based on that setup.

(I'm not aware of any other scaling than DrawScaledObject().)

And, while implementing early this morning, I thought about testing DrawScaledObject(x, y, 1, 1, bmp) vs DrawObject(x, y, bmp), as it would make the code a bit more straightforward if they perform the same since we could simply adjust the scale variables according to need.

With HTDV overscan, which is only a little bit, my game works fine. But now that I've tested on a couple old CRTs that have really horrendous overscan, I can't even see most of the outside squares in the game! I may decide to screw it and ignore CRT users, but if I can do this with minimal/no performance impact, I'd like to be accommodating. Since I don't have to support classic Rokus, the bottom of the barrel for performance now is my Roku HD 2500, followed closely by my more recent Roku 1.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"EnTerr" wrote:
"TheEndless" wrote:

The point is to address the overscan issue at large, not the infini-mirror symptom. Avoid drawing to a bitmap first and then copy to screen. I was thinking

scr = createObject("roScreen", ...)
if should_compensate_for_overscan:
'trim 5% on each side
scr = createObject("roRegion", scr, 1280 * 0.05, 720 * 0.05, 1280 * 0.90, 720 * 0.90)
end if

Now that takes care of the translation and i don't know if roRegion has any built-in means for scaling when drawn *to*?

This would give you an overscan adjusted region to draw to, but aside from giving you a target, it doesn't help with scaling. Going this route would require scaling all of the bitmaps either before or while drawing to the region. Since it sounds like Komag is using the compositor, that would cause a real headache, as it would require scaling the sprites when you create them. If he can afford the performance hit from drawing to a full screen bitmap and scaling that down instead, that's a far easier route to take.

"EnTerr" wrote:
Alternatively, is DrawScaledObject(x, y, 1, 1, bmp) notably slower than DrawObject(x, y, bmp) (i.e. if DrawScaledObject is optimized not to do any math for 1:1 "scaling"... i think you know where i am heading with that) ?

I haven't tested this in a long time, but my framework code explicitly checks for a 1.0 scaling factor, so I'm guessing I saw a significant enough difference between DrawObject and DrawScaledObject, even at 1:1, that I optimized it in my code.
Instant Watch Browser (NetflixIWB), Aquarium Screensaver (AQUARIUM), Clever Clocks Screensaver (CLEVERCLOCKS), iTunes Podcasts (ITPC), My Channels (MYCHANNELS)
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

"TheEndless" wrote:
This would give you an overscan adjusted region to draw to, but aside from giving you a target, it doesn't help with scaling. Going this route would require scaling all of the bitmaps either before or while drawing to the region. Since it sounds like Komag is using the compositor, that would cause a real headache, as it would require scaling the sprites when you create them. If he can afford the performance hit from drawing to a full screen bitmap and scaling that down instead, that's a far easier route to take.

If we are in agreement that the prevailing number of TVs overscan, then it makes sense to (re)design the game so that all imagery happens in the safe region between (64, 36) and (1152, 648) and leave 5% fringes empty (black or some decorative frame).

In other words, since overscan is the dominant mode - target that from the get-go and handle non-overscan (full resolution) as the exception.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Have you actually measured how much overscan HDTVs do? From what I've measured it's very minor compared to CRTs, not as much as Roku says for the "safe zone" - I think they're just being conservative.

I tried the FPS code, I like it.

And I just got a used Roku 3 ($50), HOLY CRAP it's fast!!! All this time trudging along working with classic Rokus and other models trying to squeeze performance. I just compared my Roku HD 2500 - first room in game I get around 4000 fps, Roku 3 gets f-r-i-c-k-i-n 80,000 fps!!! I piled on as much activity as I could in the game and it never dipped below 50,000, far above a drawable 60 fps in-game with lots of room to spare. :mrgreen:
0 Kudos
EnTerr
Roku Guru

Yes, i did some research for "Tangrams" earlier:
  • What i measured was <5%.

• Roku RTFM recommends allowing 5% edges for "action safe" zone and 10% for "title safe".

• FireTV UX guidelines say 90% safe zone, 5% margins.

• Android TV docs are confused, in one place showing 5% margins and right after that speaking in pixels give vertical margin minimum at 27px/1080 = 2.5%. In another place, "10% margin on all sides of your layout. This translates into ... a 27dp margin on the top and bottom" - where "dp" is "density-independent pixels" Android PITA, which after some research translates to vertical margin 36px on 720p TV (=5%).

• Wikipedia discussed the lack of standard

After weighing in all this, i settled on 5% per side.

Re FPS, your numbers can't be right. You can't get >60 FPS on Roku... ever.
0 Kudos
TheEndless
Channel Surfer

"Komag" wrote:
And I just got a used Roku 3 ($50), HOLY CRAP it's fast!!! All this time trudging along working with classic Rokus and other models trying to squeeze performance. I just compared my Roku HD 2500 - first room in game I get around 4000 fps, Roku 3 gets f-r-i-c-k-i-n 80,000 fps!!! I piled on as much activity as I could in the game and it never dipped below 50,000, far above a drawable 60 fps in-game with lots of room to spare. :mrgreen:

Sounds like you didn't implement it quite right. As EnTerr noted, it's impossible to get more than 60 fps on any Roku. SwapBuffers() requires 16ms as a minimum.

"EnTerr" wrote:
In other words, since overscan is the dominant mode - target that from the get-go and handle non-overscan (full resolution) as the exception.

Agreed, but if he's already coded the majority of his game, then that sounds like a v2 optimization. Drawing to an roBitmap and scaling that also gives him the ability to code in a user configurable overscan adjustment.

"EnTerr" wrote:
FireTV UX guidelines say 90% safe zone, 5% margins.

Interestingly, the FireTV has an overscan adjustment built in via the Display->Calibrate Display setting.

"EnTerr" wrote:
Android TV docs are confused

Perhaps even more interestingly, Android TV doesn't even provide an option for setting the display resolution, let alone adjust for overscan.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

Oh I know drawable 60fps is the max that can be displayed. I should call these "cycles" rather than frames. My program uses a tick counter, and essentially what's happening is that it ticks up to 24ms, then does "everything" including swap buffers, resetting the tick counter. So Roku 3 is mostly counting 80,000 cycles in-between frames, around 18 cycles per ms I counted.

My "everything" takes about 7ms on Roku 3 (so it misses counting cycles for that long), about 20ms on Roku 2 XS, and longer on weaker boxes. If it takes longer than 24ms, the game will appear slow, but can be run on 2x speed where it waits till 48ms and moves everything twice as far instead. There is also a 4x speed that waits till 96ms and moves everything 4x as far, so the slowest Rokus can still keep up with overall game speed.

I programmed the whole system before I understood anything about easing functions or even heard of them, and a lot of the system designs rely on the tick counting mechanism for proper timing and interaction. I've entertained the idea of going back and re-factoring almost everything, but the prospect makes me shudder, and it works quite well as-is.
0 Kudos
Komag
Roku Guru

After some more testing, I've discovered that drawing everything to a bitmap and then scaling that (or even just drawing that without any scaling) to the screen was a pretty big performance hit on anything other than Roku 3.

It varied a lot between different models, but in all cases it's much better to just draw to screen normally, sometimes about 10% difference, other times as much as double (or 50%, depending on which way you're comparing!).
0 Kudos